Financing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Longcatislong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who are doing post-baccalaureate pre-med courses fulltime, how are you financing this? Are you being supported by your parents, or spouses? Are you taking out loans?

Just curious, as I'm about to quit my full time job and move back in with my parents for t he spring 2011 semester(taking Junior college classes) before starting my formal post-bacc program in Fall 2011.

Members don't see this ad.

most of the time, students take out loans. your post-bac institution should have some financial aid dept to assit you.

Yes, but will the loans cover ALL expenses, like rent/personal expenses?

It's funny, as an undergrad i never had to worry about this. I got through college with no debt thanks to Cal Grants, scholarships and parents who paid my rent. Does anyone in California know if CalGrants can be applied toward post-bacc work?

Also, i'm guessing that all the post-bacc loan payments get deferred until after you graduate from medical school?

Members don't see this ad :)
No grants. More loans, plus savings from working. It helps if you have a SO working too.

And yes, you can defer the loans until after medical school.

No loans. Out of Pocket. 1-2 classes at a time. When the time comes to pick up the pace, loans may become a possibility.

Paid out of pocket for the most part...but the best way is to finance it via debt with a mix of private and public. Apparently we are eligible for med school loans (for approved formal postbac programs).

Student loans and a little out of pocket. I think I came out with around 10K in loans. Not too bad, though I didn't do a formal postbac, just picked and chose courses at my local university. Good luck!:luck:

I'm confused, for those of you out there taking Post-Baccs what's better, doing a formal program or completing your pre-reqs while working full time? I realize it will be a minimum of 2 years before I apply, so I opted to just stay at my full time job and take 2 science classes a semester. This allows me to pay for the classes as well as pay for my expenses so I will have only the debt I accrued in undergrad. Do med schools like seeing full time 40hrs a week work + 8 hours of science a semester (quite a lot of workload in the long run), or would they rather see a post-bacc, or does it really matter? (sorry to hijack the thread)