Finding a DO for a recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gtm2

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work at Massachusetts General Hospital...I need to find a D.O. for a recommendation to the osteopathic medical schools. Can anyone help?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

A couple methods for you.

1) consult your local yellow pages and call one to set up at least a meeting to just talk and hopefully an opportunity to shadow. Don't just come out and request recommendations over the phone. Remember they have no idea who you are, and you'll get a crumy letter. I haven't been turned down yet, but others have, so keep trying if at first you don't succeed.

2) Next time your sick make an appointment with one. Then talk while your there. Perhaps you can set something up when your well.

3) Ask around with friends and family to find out if anyone has a DO that they see regularly. They can then give you the hook up. This was one of my methods (very successfull).

4) If your well aquainted with any MD's ask them if they have a DO friend that could help you out. This was another method that worked great. One of the MD Radiologists that I work with introduced me to a good friend of his that was a DO. Told him that I wanted to meet and talk with him and also vouched for me.

I hope this helps, good luck. Oh last piece of advice. Don't be pushy, but try to make it clear that you have a deadline to meet with those letters. Speak with them well in advance (at least a month). That'll will give them plenty of time. Also, bring a portfolio with you to give to the doctor. That will go a long way towards giving you an excellent letter.

Good Luck

Hello...
I am from Cambridge as well and had a lot of trouble finding a DO to shadow and write me a recommendation. Unfortunatley, eastern mass is laking DO's because there are so many allopathic programs in the area. What I did was to first look in the telephone book? Where I found nothing. Then, I looked in the Tufts and Blue Cross Blue shield primary care list of doctors. I finally found a DO. There was only about 10 listed in the area. I found the DO in arlington. I ended up getting a a reommendation, but do to the hospital closing, I was unable to shadow. Therefore, you should probably search for another DO. Good luck...its tough around here. Otherwise go to Maine where there is many DOs. Hope this helps.

Why don't you call the American Osteopathic Association for a list of their members in your area.

There are many DOs doing residency in Mass area.

Now, I am little against writing letters of recommendation without having a good idea about the candidate. How can I endorse someone without having really seen their work habits and evaluate more closely their motivation for learning.

I am being honest, if you want to earn your letter you should work for a DO part-time for sometime or even volunteer for sometime.

Sincerely,

Jacob Keum
4th year NYCOM