Finding a GRE tutor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cayetana

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't get into any program this year. Applied to ten.
*wipes eyes*
Anyway, how would you go about finding a good GRE tutor that can spend one-on-one time with you, particularly on the math?

I had excellent research (2 years RA, lots of projects), 3 years clinical experience as a Case Manager, and a 4.0 in my masters.

The only thing I can think of is my GRE scores were too low. 550 in verbal, 500 in math, plus it shows all the other times I've taken it where math was in the 400's.

This will be my 3rd time applying. I will not give up. I'm turning 30 and I don't have all the time in the world to keep applying. I need to get my GRE scores up significantly. I am willing to pay someone to help me one-on-one but I'm not sure how to find someone. I'm at a large university.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Its very likely your GREs are what's holding you back, particularly since quant tends to matter more than verbal at most schools.

Its pricy, but I'd recommend contacting your local Kaplan office. You can take the course, or if you'd rather find someone who can tutor you 1 on 1 as long as you're willing to pay for it I assume they'd know who to go to for that as well.

Best of luck! Get those GREs up and I expect you will be in much better shape.

I would like to hire an individual, not someone who works for a company. I do not have the money to pay that high of an overhead that would go to Kaplan, but I could probably pay an individual more than a Kaplan employee would probably make in that time they spend with me.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I hired a math tutor from an online search. It turned out very well, and he continues to serve as a statistical consultant for me. Poking around online will likely bring up some names.

I would say to go to your local university and talk with the people in the graduate centre/school about finding a tutor who did well on their own GRE's. They may know someone, or let you post flyers around or do a mass email to current grad students.

I didn't get in this year (score similar to you, V-520 and Q-560), and this is what I'm planning to do. It's cheaper and I think probably almost as good as getting one through a centre. Would probably be best though to purchase a GRE book to work through as well, or with the tutor.

Good luck next year.

I started by just googling "math gre tutor" along with the name of my city! You should be able to find web postings, especially through universities in your area.

A few things to watch out for:
1) Someone whose only qualification is that they did well on the GRE. Just because someone is good at math doesn't mean they can teach it.
2) People who generally only tutor upper level math courses. You want someone who is good at teaching high school level math - my tutor actually was a high school teacher!
3) Someone who knows very little about the GRE. It's very helpful if the person is familiar with the test and can give you tips on timing, as well as what types of questions you should expect.

Look for someone who takes some time to investigate what problems you're having. For instance, my tutor actually watched me take a practice test. I did some research on Kaplan tutors, and they all seemed to follow the same program. What's the point of having a personal tutor if they don't work to address your personal issues?

Hope that helps!

If anybody is looking for a GRE tutor in Dallas, let me know. I had an INCREDIBLE tutor for the SATs. Other than that, try craigslist.

Cayetana, what city/area of the country do you live in? We might be able to help more with contacts of potential tutors if we were in the same city as you...

I'm in Lexington, Kentucky.

I would prefer to find someone who used to work for Kaplan or Princeton Review, or someone who has experience teaching the GRE. I realize I can't just count on someone else's own scores to prove they would be able to teach me well.

Thank you!

PS. Craigslist hasn't really taken off here yet :(

Issue with finding past Kaplan/Princeton Review folks is you're generally required to sign a non-compete agreement saying that if you tutor people outside the company for up to x number of years after you quit, you have to give Kaplan/Princeton Review some disgusting amount of money.

I worked for a similar company (albeit I tutored people in psych/management classes, but the company did standardized test tutoring as well), and this is what they did. The issue you will run into is that these tutors are generally people who did really well on these tests, which means that generally by the time the "x" years are up these people have moved on to successful careers and are no longer interested in tutoring people for 20 bucks an hour. Thats not to say you couldn't find someone just that it may make it more difficult.

Best of luck with the process, wish I had something more to offer. Check postings online, if your school has some kind of "student academic center" or something you can check with them - they may at least be able to point you in the right direction.

Looking for GRE tutors in Denver area? Also suggestions on how to prepare for Psych GRE for non-psych major - haven't taken developmental, cognitive, learning, or history of psych? Can take developmental and history this year - any thoughts?

Also suggestions on how to prepare for Psych GRE for non-psych major - haven't taken developmental, cognitive, learning, or history of psych? Can take developmental and history this year - any thoughts?

I would suggest studying a psych 101 book from cover to cover. It's a great review. I also used a review book, most people here really like the Kaplan one.

I think you might want to reconsider taking a Kaplan course or getting a Kaplan tutor. True, it is really expensive, but this is your education we are talking about. It would be a shame to throw away everything that you have invested until now for just a $1100. When The good thing about Kaplan is that if it does not help you get your money back. (FYI- My math scores jumped over 100 points after taking the Kaplan class).
good luck