Finding a residency for a foreign trained physician/surgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madesh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, My father was trained in a foreign country and performed many types of surgeries for 17 years in this country. He even taught as a professor in the surgery department. Not only was he a surgeon he also worked as a physician. We came to the US about 10 years ago, and he has yet to find a residency program to accept him. He has taken and passed the usmle step 1, 2, CS, and CK. he has all required forms and papers necessary and transferred documents from my home country to here. He does have a job in a hospital but it is as an anesthesia tech assistant, not as respected as he used to be. What can he do to find a residence? Can they discriminate him on his age (late 40s). How can he be a doctor here? and why wont anyone take him?

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

too far out from practice for one. 2. its very difficult as a img to get a residency spot. that far out it is nearly impossible. if he wants to practice medicine he should go back to the country he came from. good luck

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
too far out from practice for one. 2. its very difficult as a img to get a residency spot. that far out it is nearly impossible. if he wants to practice medicine he should go back to the country he came from. good luck

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Hi i'm sorry to bother you, but if he went back and practiced medicine/performed surgery for a year or two there, would his chances stay the same? Also does his current job not count as practice?

Hi, My father was trained in a foreign country and performed many types of surgeries for 17 years in this country. He even taught as a professor in the surgery department. Not only was he a surgeon he also worked as a physician. We came to the US about 10 years ago, and he has yet to find a residency program to accept him. He has taken and passed the usmle step 1, 2, CS, and CK. he has all required forms and papers necessary and transferred documents from my home country to here. He does have a job in a hospital but it is as an anesthesia tech assistant, not as respected as he used to be. What can he do to find a residence? Can they discriminate him on his age (late 40s). How can he be a doctor here? and why wont anyone take him?

I know of a physician in the Middle East prior to moving to the US. Just due to immigration time, even though he did very well on the Step exams, he was 10 years post-graduation, and no residency would take him. Instead, one told him he should consider re-entering medical school. He'll graduate next year as an American MD, and should do very well. It is for sure a major commitment, but when you are that motivated an that far removed from medical school, it may be the only way.

I know of a physician in the Middle East prior to moving to the US. Just due to immigration time, even though he did very well on the Step exams, he was 10 years post-graduation, and no residency would take him. Instead, one told him he should consider re-entering medical school. He'll graduate next year as an American MD, and should do very well. It is for sure a major commitment, but when you are that motivated an that far removed from medical school, it may be the only way.
Would age be a problem in this? Hes late 40's as i said. I know he has the determination that would get him through med school, but i'm worried he might not get into med school because of age.

In general, programs do not discriminate against age. It would be illegal to do so. But we do tend to favor people who have recently graduated from medical school. It can be difficult to take a fully trained and experienced surgeon into a residency program, and then treat them like they know very little. What happens when he knows more / has more experience than the people who are supposed to be supervising him? What if his prior training isn't actually all that good, and he has "bad habits" -- or perhaps habits that are not considered part of our regular practice?

Also, you mention that he took and passed the USMLE. The actual scores are very important. If he just barely passed, he won't get a surgery spot.

Going back and practicing in his home country will not help.

Being an anesthesia tech will not help, unless he is planning on applying to anesthesia programs. And then only slightly / maybe.

In general, programs do not discriminate against age. It would be illegal to do so. But we do tend to favor people who have recently graduated from medical school. It can be difficult to take a fully trained and experienced surgeon into a residency program, and then treat them like they know very little. What happens when he knows more / has more experience than the people who are supposed to be supervising him? What if his prior training isn't actually all that good, and he has "bad habits" -- or perhaps habits that are not considered part of our regular practice?

Also, you mention that he took and passed the USMLE. The actual scores are very important. If he just barely passed, he won't get a surgery spot.

Going back and practicing in his home country will not help.

Being an anesthesia tech will not help, unless he is planning on applying to anesthesia programs. And then only slightly / maybe.
So as you say the chances are slim, he should just stay doing his current job? But if he has more knowledge than most residency applicants, does he have any other options to working here as a physician. Surgeon? Doctor? Anything?

...But if he has more knowledge than most residency applicants, does he have any other options to working here as a physician. Surgeon? Doctor? Anything?
No. The residency itself is the gateway to all these jobs, not having the knowledge. Without a residency he isn't really qualified to do anything. It's a more open system than most countries but the only opening is through residency.

No. The residency itself is the gateway to all these jobs, not having the knowledge. Without a residency he isn't really qualified to do anything. It's a more open system than most countries but the only opening is through residency.
Okay, I understand that the residency is important into getting a job. But what are his option to get a residency? Go back to school ( at his age?) or ? Thanks for the reply!

Okay, I understand that the residency is important into getting a job. But what are his option to get a residency? Go back to school ( at his age?) or ? Thanks for the reply!
He could go back to school or he could network, do research, join committees and otherwise find ways to get himself in front of people who make residency decisions and see if these networking contacts can help him weasel into a few interviews. A lot is going to depend on his step scores and his willingness to start at the bottom. If he takes the position that he has more knowledge than the seniors he will be answering to, or is anywhere but the lowest rung of this hierarchy, he's sunk.

I only see two option here: 1) Network your butt off to prove that he will make a good resident, 2) Go to a US medical school. I had a guy in my med school class that graduated in his early 60s. Your father is in his 40s. It's not as uncommon as you think.

If he doesn't want to go back to his home country, maybe he can explore the option of becoming a PA or a NP?

He should be thankful he has the bolded. Not as respected indeed. There are people literally getting themselves killed to come here and only too happy to be AT's.

I suggest that he look for a teaching position.

I believe that NYITCOM still has a program for foreign-trained clinicians.