Finding Minimum GPA Cutoffs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBelle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just realized I can't seem to find the minimum GPA cutoffs for certain schools. What gives?

In the dream world that I am aiming for, I'd like to stay close to home so I can be around my family. Even if its a long shot, having a target would help. Anyone know how to figure this out?

Members don't see this ad.

most US schools don't have exact cutoffs; even if they screen GPA, they do not publicize what that threshold is since there are other factors at play.
you can estimate your chances by looking at their median GPA and 10th - 90th percentile via MSAR.

Noooooooooooooo!!!!

I'm deep in the hole and I don't mind continuing to work my way out
I just want to make sure adcom eyes have laid upon my app
I figure a couple of years of solid grades and an obscene MCAT score would help save me from the auto screen by the very skin of my teeth

I need a master plan for my master plan.

Members don't see this ad :)
search sdn on "low gpa" to find out how people do what you're trying to do.

search sdn on "low gpa" to find out how people do what you're trying to do.

thanks! Yeah, I have been gathering tips on this forum and thank god everyone is so willing to share.
I just am concerned because I want to stay within my state so I don't leave my parents. They are getting older and I know I will be busy but I want to be busy.. nearby. The odds aren't great but I at least want to know if there's a chance. I have a lot of credits already. There is but so much that I can do in a reasonable time frame so I want a realistic picture of what lies ahead

You can't look back and wonder how to fix. You have to stay present, do the best you can and let the chips fall where they may. Seriously. If you keep looking back at your lousy old grades, you'll get stuck. And stay stuck. And while moving forward while semi-staying stuck, you'll hit a wall. It'll hurt. Don't do that :)

Reactions: 3 users
I'm deep in the hole and I don't mind continuing to work my way out
I just want to make sure adcom eyes have laid upon my app

This was what I was most worried about, too, but it turned out to be a non-issue. I applied with a GPA less than 3.2 and received plenty of interview invitations to good MD schools. N=1 of course, but if you have a compelling story, a good MCAT, and your recent grades are good then you really shouldn't worry about an auto-screen. Apply widely and do a search for Goro's list of schools that reward re-invention. That list turned out to be quite accurate for me.

Reactions: 3 users
This was what I was most worried about, too, but it turned out to be a non-issue. I applied with a GPA less than 3.2 and received plenty of interview invitations to good MD schools. N=1 of course, but if you have a compelling story, a good MCAT, and your recent grades are good then you really shouldn't worry about an auto-screen. Apply widely and do a search for Goro's list of schools that reward re-invention. That list turned out to be quite accurate for me.

Thank you for the tips! I did a search and quoting Goro here from another thread in case anyone reads this thread and was curious which schools those were.

I make these claims based upon the posts and PMs from successful SDNers. Schools that reward reinvention (which means having a 3.6+ GPA in a post-bac or SMP) AND acing MCAT (> 33 on the old scale) include U Miami, your state schools, BU, Tulane, Rosy Franklin, Duke, UCSF (yes, UCSF), Columbia, Duke (if combined with good research activity) Albany, Drexel, NYMC, Case, and Tufts.

Having 100 of hrs of clinical experience (professional or volunteer ) also helps a lot!!

hey @Goro one question- I am completing my pre-reqs and gpa repair over the next 2 years as an undergrad. I notice post baccs are mentioned alot. If these A's are achieved in undergrad, should I still pursue post bacc options before applying to med school? If so, and pre reqs are already completed, what sort of classes would I be taking?

Reactions: 1 users
Besides your prerequisites, take some courses that mimic a medical school curriculum, like anatomy, physiology, microbiology, histology, etc.

Thank you for the tips! I did a search and quoting Goro here from another thread in case anyone reads this thread and was curious which schools those were.

hey @Goro one question- I am completing my pre-reqs and gpa repair over the next 2 years as an undergrad. I notice post baccs are mentioned alot. If these A's are achieved in undergrad, should I still pursue post bacc options before applying to med school? If so, and pre reqs are already completed, what sort of classes would I be taking?

Reactions: 1 user
I've been taking some of these for my nursing degree- not the allied health versions but basic science ones in university.
I see your point though. I'll look into these - Thanks for the tip!