Finished peds anesthesia horrible experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anesthesia1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished my peds anesthesia fellowship and I had the longest year of my life and I wanted to write about it and warn other people to stay clear of this place and the program director....Would you guys write an evaluation on scutwork or just let it go...I really feel that other residents need to be aware of the program director running this program....

Would love to hear your thoughts....

Members don't see this ad.

I finished my peds anesthesia fellowship and I had the longest year of my life and I wanted to write about it and warn other people to stay clear of this place and the program director....Would you guys write an evaluation on scutwork or just let it go...I really feel that other residents need to be aware of the program director running this program....

...? Details?

PM if you don't feel comfortable posting publicly.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a right to express your opinion and personal experience with this fellowship program. Avoid embellishments and slander of any kind and you will be fine.:thumbup:

im curious, PM or post

on the bright side, you are done. yay! go OP!

Sounds like your motives are altruistic. The question is how to actually help other people avoid what you went through. I've always been very skeptical of scutwork, especially when a review is substantially negative. I also would never have thought to check scutwork for fellowship reviews anyway. I doubt many others would either. So a scutwork review isn't likely to help you.

It has a decent chance of hurting you, though. Falling on your sword for others is noble. If you really are looking to risk your career over this, I'd look for a higher yield venue. My first thoughts would be the peds division chief if you think he/she is sympathetic, the anesthesia chair (likewise) or the peds anesthesia RRC. The latter would require some discreet inquiries to find out who the person to talk to really is. Just sending an email or letter to the RRC would be unlikely to help though fairly likely to make its way back to your PD.

Since there is nothing you can do to help the current class of fellows, and - if it's like my institution, the fellows for 2010 are already signed, give yourself some time on this. Any benefit will only fall to people who start interviewing this spring. Write down your experiences in detail now. Sit on them for a few months and then make your move when you're sure everything you wrote is true and objective.

Joy down your thoughts with detailed descriptions of all events. Save all emails, paperwork, and notes. Toss it in a drawer for 365. When you read it in a year, you can then decide what to do. It will only hurt you to do anything else at this time.

Jot down your thoughts with detailed descriptions of all events. Save all emails, paperwork, and notes. Toss it in a drawer for 365. When you read it in a year, you can then decide what to do. It will only hurt you to do anything else at this time.

Last edited:
Jot down your thoughts with detailed descriptions of all events. Save all emails, paperwork, and notes. Toss it in a drawer for 365. When you read it in a year, you can then decide what to do. It will only hurt you to do anything else at this time.

Another option is to:
Create a new sdn account.
Claim you are an attending who finished peds fellowship years ago.
Share your information based on your experience 'several years ago'.

What do you have to gain from this? Is it really going to change things? Is your scathing review going to make people stop going to the program? Is this PD going to say, "You know, you're right. I've been a douchebag and I'm going to change." Perhaps the PD isn't the one with the problem--perhaps it's you.

The anesthesia community is small enough that pissing in the company pool could really come back to haunt you. You may need references from these people, and even if you don't list them as references, potential employers frequently call your training programs, especially if you're relatively recently out, which it sounds like you are.

I understand where you're coming from, but my advice is to let it go. Your anonymity may not be as great as you think it is. If you really need catharsis, find a therapist.

What do you have to gain from this? Is it really going to change things? Is your scathing review going to make people stop going to the program? Is this PD going to say, "You know, you're right. I've been a douchebag and I'm going to change." Perhaps the PD isn't the one with the problem--perhaps it's you.

The anesthesia community is small enough that pissing in the company pool could really come back to haunt you. You may need references from these people, and even if you don't list them as references, potential employers frequently call your training programs, especially if you're relatively recently out, which it sounds like you are.

I understand where you're coming from, but my advice is to let it go. Your anonymity may not be as great as you think it is. If you really need catharsis, find a therapist.

Bubalus is very wise. Peds programs are usually small. Doubt you could remain anonymous after identifying your program. Try to find another way to cope with your disappointment.

The problem with all of this is this isn't the only time this has happened, where a resident/fellow is dissapointed with his/her program. PD's have some recourse of action when they do not like their resident, right up to blacklisting them from moving on in their careers. There has to be some form of action against the dozens of poor programs across all specialties who abuse residents. I'm not saying I have a solution, I'm just saying that the fact there is no solution for these situations is a problem.

The problem with all of this is this isn't the only time this has happened, where a resident/fellow is dissapointed with his/her program. PD's have some recourse of action when they do not like their resident, right up to blacklisting them from moving on in their careers. There has to be some form of action against the dozens of poor programs across all specialties who abuse residents. I'm not saying I have a solution, I'm just saying that the fact there is no solution for these situations is a problem.

Come on. Do you really, really believe this happens?

Think about it.

A program graduates a resident/fellow... and then they're going to say, "This douchebag was a piece of crap" when asked for a reference? What would that say about that program? It would say, "We didn't know how to effectively deal with or train this person, so we let them move on despite their deficiencies. Now we're just going to badmouth them."

No. This doesn't, practically, happen. Sure, there may be comments about being a "challenging" and perhaps "provocative" resident and whatnot.

The same should hold true when you are asked about your residency experience. When asked, I've told people the truth: my program was facing some serious administrative challenges, but the core case exposure and training was overall excellent and I felt well-prepared to tackle the most difficult of anesthetics.

If you say ANYTHING other than that, you are potentially shooting yourself in the foot. The program you graduated from is a reflection of your training. If you badmouth it, you are essentially badmouthing yourself.

Be very careful what you say about your program. More so publicly. The Internet isn't as private as you think...

-copro

Come on. Do you really, really believe this happens?

Think about it.

A program graduates a resident/fellow... and then they're going to say, "This douchebag was a piece of crap" when asked for a reference? What would that say about that program? It would say, "We didn't know how to effectively deal with or train this person, so we let them move on despite their deficiencies. Now we're just going to badmouth them."

No. This doesn't, practically, happen. Sure, there may be comments about being a "challenging" and perhaps "provocative" resident and whatnot.

The same should hold true when you are asked about your residency experience. When asked, I've told people the truth: my program was facing some serious administrative challenges, but the core case exposure and training was overall excellent and I felt well-prepared to tackle the most difficult of anesthetics.

If you say ANYTHING other than that, you are potentially shooting yourself in the foot. The program you graduated from is a reflection of your training. If you badmouth it, you are essentially badmouthing yourself.

Be very careful what you say about your program. More so publicly. The Internet isn't as private as you think...

-copro

I was looking at the course of action residents have who have not yet graduated vs their respective PD's. You're right, when you graduate, you should say nothing but good things because anything other than that is shooting yourself in the foot. Personally I love my program, I think they attendings are some of the best around, and I know I'm getting excellent training. I also know a couple residents who have had their careers trashed by vindictive PD's (mostly Internal medicine programs) before they graduated, pushed them just far enough to force them to quit.

I also know a couple residents who have had their careers trashed by vindictive PD's (mostly Internal medicine programs) before they graduated, pushed them just far enough to force them to quit.

Then, it's time to hire a lawyer. One thing a program requires, and this is clear via the ACGME regulations, is due process. You cannot be "slammed" by any single "vindictive" PD, especially if that is not warranted or meted out by the facts of your performance at an institution. I am (was) intimately aware of this, as I was actively involved in residency oversight and evaluation, including recruitment, at my program as one of two class representatives to not only our department, but also to the University-wide GME.

Programs have to be fair. That is required by the rules. Individuals in a program, as their representatives, can't supersede that mandate.

-copro

The PD doesn't have to totally trash you, just plant enough doubt that a group won't look at you. Not all that difficult for a PD to do, especially if you leave tracks on the internet, but very difficult to bring a case against. I've written less than stellar reviews of residents, and all a PD would have to do is pass them along as another attending's review. One of our review questions was, "Would you hire this person as a member of your group?"

The RRC may require due process, but that takes time and doesn't come with a guarantee of repairing your reputation.

It's best to let it go, move on with your life, get a well-paying job, and be happy in the work you do.