Finishing a pre-med minor AFTER a liberal arts degree COMPARED to post-bac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you researched this situation before?

1. If someone finished a BA degree in English,
2. then subsequently enrolled in a pre-med minor (at the same university),
3. would medical school admissions consider that minor the equivalent of a post-bac program?
(Say your cumulative gpa was sort of low, but your minor grades where high.)

I am researching this, but cannot look into every single school quickly. If you have looked into this, please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

what's a pre-med minor? never heard of such a thing. why not just take the necessary pre-reqs and then apply to med school. you don't need a formal post-bac program if you don't want to spend the money (they can be expensive), just do a DIY post-bac and take the pre-reqs

what's a pre-med minor? never heard of such a thing. why not just take the necessary pre-reqs and then apply to med school. you don't need a formal post-bac program if you don't want to spend the money (they can be expensive), just do a DIY post-bac and take the pre-reqs

The minor includes all the med school pre reqs plus endocrinology, hematology, and other stuff you might get your first year of medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
The minor includes all the med school pre reqs plus endocrinology, hematology, and other stuff you might get your first year of medical school.

Does your school specifically offer it?

Yes, any college level courses taken after you receive your BS or BA that are not part of a graduate level program are automatically considered postbacc by AMCAS. It doesn't matter if the courses were part of a formal postbacc program or not. What you are proposing is what we would call an informal postbacc

Relevant AMCAS instruction manual quote
Assign Post Baccalaureate (PB) status to any undergraduate level coursework you enrolled in:
o After receipt of your initial BA/BS degree.
o While enrolled in a graduate program, if coursework is not applied to a
graduate degree.
2013 version, page 38

I think you should look at other factors like time, money, and see which one is best for you. They both sound pretty much the same if your asking which one do we think an adcom would like to see.

Yes, any college level courses taken after you receive your BS or BA that are not part of a graduate level program are automatically considered postbacc by AMCAS. It doesn't matter if the courses were part of a formal postbacc program or not. What you are proposing is what we would call an informal postbacc

Relevant AMCAS instruction manual quote

2013 version, page 38

What if you EARN/finish your BA prior to declaring the pre-med minor, but do not RECEIVE your BA until you graduate (minor and all)? Technicalities.

What if you EARN/finish your BA prior to declaring the pre-med minor, but do not RECEIVE your BA until you graduate (minor and all)? Technicalities.
Well what will your transcript say? I would think it would say the day your earned the degree which would make all later coursework post bacc

Well what will your transcript say? I would think it would say the day your earned the degree which would make all later coursework post bacc

While I finished taking all of the classes for my BA prior to starting my minor, I didn't register for graduation until my minor was finished. I could have, but didn't. I would really LIKE for my minor to be considered a post-bac.

By default, my university lists all degrees, majors, and minors as being "received" on the date of graduation, even though I "earned" my BA prior.

While I finished taking all of the classes for my BA prior to starting my minor, I didn't register for graduation until my minor was finished. I could have, but didn't. I would really LIKE for my minor to be considered a post-bac.

By default, my university lists all degrees, majors, and minors as being "received" on the date of graduation, even though I "earned" my BA prior.
Yeah I doubt that they'll count it as postbacc if that's how you did it.The way I interpret it, you needed to actually be awarded the degree before they'll start counting stuff as postbacc

Yeah I doubt that they'll count it as postbacc if that's how you did it.The way I interpret it, you needed to actually be awarded the degree before they'll start counting stuff as postbacc

If that's the case, I think my best bet would be to check with AAMC and admissions about how I could point that out. Maybe a short cover letter with application or mailed letter...

It's just painful. My minor has my best grades ever.