Finishing Degree in The Summer Before Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnTheFly32

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just found out that it is pretty much impossible for me to get my B.S. in the Spring of 2019. It is likely that I will need to take a summer course or two in the summer before dental school. I have already been invited for interviews, but now I am freaking out a bit.

Have any of you heard of students doing this, or if it will hurt my chances to get accepted to a school? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on when your summer semester ends and when the dental school starts

Hey guys,

I just found out that it is pretty much impossible for me to get my B.S. in the Spring of 2019. It is likely that I will need to take a summer course or two in the summer before dental school. I have already been invited for interviews, but now I am freaking out a bit.

Have any of you heard of students doing this, or if it will hurt my chances to get accepted to a school? Thanks!

ok, I graduated d school a LONG time ago
but I had this EXACT situation
it depends if you need credits for your major or just electives
I needed electives, and I took summer school just to say I had a degree
if I knew what I know now, I would've done one of two things:
1- don't bother with the degree, you do not need a degree to get into dental school
2-see if your school will accept your dental school classes towards electives or towards your major
I didn't exactly go to class that often or study that hard, but I would've been better off relaxing or working to save money for dental school

hope this helps

aloha

steve

Members don't see this ad :)
ok, I graduated d school a LONG time ago
but I had this EXACT situation
it depends if you need credits for your major or just electives
I needed electives, and I took summer school just to say I had a degree
if I knew what I know now, I would've done one of two things:
1- don't bother with the degree, you do not need a degree to get into dental school
2-see if your school will accept your dental school classes towards electives or towards your major
I didn't exactly go to class that often or study that hard, but I would've been better off relaxing or working to save money for dental school

hope this helps

aloha

steve
Thanks for the reply! I didn't even think about the second option you listed. However, One of the schools that I am interviewing at is the University of Utah, and they state on their website that a degree is required for admission. There isn't overlap with summer courses and the start of the semester for dental school... I guess I should ask them when I am there in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the reply! I didn't even think about the second option you listed. However, One of the schools that I am interviewing at is the University of Utah, and they state on their website that a degree is required for admission. There isn't overlap with summer courses and the start of the semester for dental school... I guess I should ask them when I am there in a couple weeks.

yeah, I didn't think about that either
mines would have been SO easy since I went to the same D school as I went to undergrad

aloha

steve

As long as it is not a pre req, summer should be ok. I know a lot of schools recommend you have your courses done by the end of summer 1!

So I actually had to defer a final to go to the interview of the school I attend now, and that final was in a course I needed to graduate. So really it didn't hurt me, just had to explain to adcoms after my acceptance that I wouldn't be able to graduate or send in my transcripts until after school started, which they said was fine! A bunch of students did summer school or had to finish prereqs before school started anyways and marks aren't official until after the semester started. You just have to get a proof of degree conferral when you get your unofficial marks back before school starts. So it really depends on when a school starts. Also if your school requires a degree, see if you can get a 3 year general degree instead?

Thanks everyone for your replies... my biology advisor missed a class when we were planning out my degree plan last spring and was expecting to do about 18 credits this next semester. Now I’m looking at 21-22 credits to finish. So I’m looking at 1-2 classes in the summer. I only have one more pre-req to complete, which will be done in the Spring. The rest is for my degree completion. So if I just let them know ahead of time, it should all work out just fine?

So I actually had to defer a final to go to the interview of the school I attend now, and that final was in a course I needed to graduate. So really it didn't hurt me, just had to explain to adcoms after my acceptance that I wouldn't be able to graduate or send in my transcripts until after school started, which they said was fine! A bunch of students did summer school or had to finish prereqs before school started anyways and marks aren't official until after the semester started. You just have to get a proof of degree conferral when you get your unofficial marks back before school starts. So it really depends on when a school starts. Also if your school requires a degree, see if you can get a 3 year general degree instead?
What school are you attending?

I needed an internship and to have a thesis approved over the summer before school. My orientation started early August and I had until September to get everything in. I didn't get to enjoy orientation as much as everyone else.

My school wanted to see a degree conferred on my transcript and I sent one early, emailed people that I would have another transcript sent once my transcript was updated and I did, wasn't an issue.