Finishing up 2nd year as a neurosurgery attending, ask me anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are the bread and butter surgeries that you should be excited about if you're thinking about neurosurgery?

ACDF, carpal tunnel, microdiscectomy, laminectomy plus or minus fusion, shunt, craniotomies for acute issues, craniotomy for meningioma/metasatsis/gbm, stimulators.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
What does neurosurgery call look like( ie. is the vast majority trauma to the head)? What types of cases are you seeing there and does it depend on what sub-specialty you are( vascular guy will do ruptured aneurysms, spine guy does spine trauama etc..) ?

@longhaul3 is there any way to set up a practice in neurosurgery to have pretty minimal call? I take your point about anything cranial quickly turning into an emergency that needs to be dealt with but I'm just curious if it's possible to have for example a spine practice ( with maybe with some other interesting but low acuity stuff like peripheral nerve/DBS thrown in there) where your working pretty regular hours with maybe like q10 call or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
What does neurosurgery call look like( ie. is the vast majority trauma to the head)? What types of cases are you seeing there and does it depend on what sub-specialty you are( vascular guy will do ruptured aneurysms, spine guy does spine trauama etc..) ?

It really depends on where you are. At an academic hospital where residents are considered an infinitely expendable resource by other services you get a larger amount of nonsense called in 24/7. Probably 50 percent of that is requests to interpret radiology reads or to address the loathed "normal scan but cannot entirely rule out XYZ". You'll get a stat page at 1am from a panicked medicine intern about cannot rule out tiny subarachnoid hemorrhage. You'll also get a lot of no operative dot of blood and skull fracture stuff as well as random endplate and transverse process fractures. Having also been in the first group of residents to rotate at a previously private practice hospital, I get the impression is that in real life people wouldn't bother you with most of that or at least have the curtiousy to wait til the am or send to your clinic.

The tiny fraction of operative consults tends to be trauma heavy depending on if you are at a level one trauma center and vascular heavy if you are at a comprehensive stroke center but you can get a fair number of brain tumors that walk in as well with headaches and ams. If you are in an area with a lot of ivdu then you get a ton of spinal epidural abscesses. Who gets what depends on your group. Some take all comers and some divide by subspecialty.

Reactions: 2 users
@longhaul3 is there any way to set up a practice in neurosurgery to have pretty minimal call? I take your point about anything cranial quickly turning into an emergency that needs to be dealt with but I'm just curious if it's possible to have for example a spine practice ( with maybe with some other interesting but low acuity stuff like peripheral nerve/DBS thrown in there) where your working pretty regular hours with maybe like q10 call or something.

You can do anything you want if you're willing to take a low enough salary or live an a less favorable location. Call builds your practice. You get spine and peripheral nerve cases by eating up a bunch of back, arm, and leg pain consults.

Reactions: 4 users
How important are clinical grades? Does a pass in surgery make you dead on arrival, or can it be compensated for with high step/pubs etc. Shooting for honors of course, but just curious given the subjective nature of clinical grades we all hear so much about.

How important are clinical grades? Does a pass in surgery make you dead on arrival, or can it be compensated for with high step/pubs etc. Shooting for honors of course, but just curious given the subjective nature of clinical grades we all hear so much about.

I think it varies. I've heard some reviewers places significant emphasis on medicine and or surgery honors but the reality is AOA is more of a binary positive modifier than anything but definitely someone with lots of poor clinical grades is going to take a hot

Hi @mmmcdowe , thanks for doing this.
I'm a current medical student and feel as if I am pretty slow at doing retrospective chart reviews. Any advice one how to become more productive doing research? I'm doing one retrospective chart review and writing up a case report, but I'm not sure how to become more productive. Thank you!

Hi @mmmcdowe , thanks for doing this.
I'm a current medical student and feel as if I am pretty slow at doing retrospective chart reviews. Any advice one how to become more productive doing research? I'm doing one retrospective chart review and writing up a case report, but I'm not sure how to become more productive. Thank you!
Well its important to be organized. Simple things like is your excel sheet set up so that you are able to fill in the tabs sequentially without having to click back and forth repetitively through the same part of the chart or excel sheet. Then it becomes about multi-tasking. If you are able to do parts of the chart review while listening to a tv show, etc, you can prolong your tolerance. I remember my first summer as a student I listened to the entire Stragate SG-1 series while doing an AVM chart review.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Arguably the coolest surgery I have ever seen, complex ear stuff is super interesting
I think the ENT portion of that case is more engaging than the neurosurgery part. They're satisfying for select patients but most neurosurgeons prefer a RMC approach. More for us to do and also typically bigger tumors

What type of NSG emergencies are a "drop everything and run" and which procedures can wait till the morning? I've heard strokes are the type of emergency that someone speeds to the hospital and some meningiomas can wait till later, but I wasn't sure in between. I'm basically trying to get a perspective of the on-call lifestyle of different sub-specialities of neurosurgery at a medium sized Level 2 Trauma center. Thanks!

The reason to take a case stat is the likelihood of imminent death or severe, irreversible injury (via herniation or destruction of brain parenchyma) caused by something that can't be temporized with a bedside procedure or maximum medical therapy. These are mostly brain bleeds, like acute subdurals and epidurals, some massive chronic subdurals and some intraparenchymal hematomas; tumors causing mass effect beyond what can be treated medically; and miscellaneous things like abscesses, empyemas, and malignant edema from large strokes and trauma. We will often take acute depressed skull fractures stat as well.

Hydrocephalus caused by tumors, aneurysm rupture, etc. usually wait because we can place an EVD to temporize the situation, although placement of the EVD itself is usually a stat procedure. Spine emergencies can almost always wait.

Strokes have a standardized response algorithm with benchmarks that need to be met to maintain accreditation, like door to CT scan, door to groin puncture, door to first pass, etc.

At a medium-sized level 2 trauma center it's most likely that neurosurgery call is not divided by sub-specialty. There is probably one attending on call for all of neurosurgery, or maybe one on cranial and one on spine. Stroke call is usually separate.

I don't have a lot of interest in boats/cars/watches. I'll be buying myself a few Saville Row suits someday though.
do you have any opinions on what order rotations should be done? Im currently trying to rank my preferences and know I don't want to do surgery first. Is there a disadvantage to doing it last in terms of applying for neurosurgery sub-I's? We only get 4 schedules to choose from and 2 of those have surgery in the middle (with medicine being before it in both schedules) and the other 2 schedules have surgery either first or last so im not sure which of those is worse if that makes sense

do you have any opinions on what order rotations should be done? Im currently trying to rank my preferences and know I don't want to do surgery first. Is there a disadvantage to doing it last in terms of applying for neurosurgery sub-I's? We only get 4 schedules to choose from and 2 of those have surgery in the middle (with medicine being before it in both schedules) and the other 2 schedules have surgery either first or last so im not sure which of those is worse if that makes sense
Your surgery rotation timing doesn't typically have a major role in sub-i's that I am familiar with. I would recommend doing medicine first and surgery in the middle. Medicine first gets it out of the way while you are fresh and tends to touch upon things that will be useful for other rotations. Surgery in the middle means you'll have gotten the hang of rotations but will not be burnt out.

Your surgery rotation timing doesn't typically have a major role in sub-i's that I am familiar with. I would recommend doing medicine first and surgery in the middle. Medicine first gets it out of the way while you are fresh and tends to touch upon things that will be useful for other rotations. Surgery in the middle means you'll have gotten the hang of rotations but will not be burnt out.

Thanks!

Well time to update this once again. Finishing up PGY7. Matched at my top choice for pediatric fellowship and have a peds job waiting for me at my home institution afterwards. Got engaged, getting married in May. AMA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Well time to update this once again. Finishing up PGY7. Matched at my top choice for pediatric fellowship and have a peds job waiting for me at my home institution afterwards. Got engaged, getting married in May. AMA.
Why Pediatrics?

congrats man that's awesome!

Reactions: 1 user
what was the process like for negotiating for a job at the same place you did residency? was it awkward negotiating for salary, support, types of cases youlll be doing etc?

By home institution, did you mean where you did residency or med school?

How's your dating life?

If you're single, how much time to do you have for dating?

If you're already in a relationship, how much time do you have to spend with your partner?

If something else, please share!

what was the process like for negotiating for a job at the same place you did residency? was it awkward negotiating for salary, support, types of cases youlll be doing etc?
Totally not awkward. It's kind of a two tier negotiation. Basically, I told my chairman what equipment I wanted as well as certain academic and equipment concessions and he went and negotiated on my behalf and brought back an offer. I got everything I asked for and an appropriate salaey so I'm happy but perhaps I didn't ask for enough? Not worth thinking about.

How's your dating life?

If you're single, how much time to do you have for dating?

If you're already in a relationship, how much time do you have to spend with your partner?

If something else, please share!
I'm engaged. In terms of dating it was fairly constricted in early residency, once a week. senior residency twice a week. Now as a chief resident I live with my fiance and spend at least one weekend day and one weekday night with her on average.

I'm engaged. In terms of dating it was fairly constricted in early residency, once a week. senior residency twice a week. Now as a chief resident I live with my fiance and spend at least one weekend day and one weekday night with her on average.
Geez, even for a resident that's almost nothing, but as Neurosurg resident it must feel normal.

Totally not awkward. It's kind of a two tier negotiation. Basically, I told my chairman what equipment I wanted as well as certain academic and equipment concessions and he went and negotiated on my behalf and brought back an offer. I got everything I asked for and an appropriate salaey so I'm happy but perhaps I didn't ask for enough? Not worth thinking about.
interesting. this may be a stupid question but what do you mean by equipment negotiations? like specific microscopes and stuff? I always thought those things were just provided by wherever you work

Geez, even for a resident that's almost nothing, but as Neurosurg resident it must feel normal.
You have time for what you choose to have time for. I certainly could have made more time but the reality is I have been publishing and otherwise strengthening my career.

interesting. this may be a stupid question but what do you mean by equipment negotiations? like specific microscopes and stuff? I always thought those things were just provided by wherever you work
No you have to make sure they have what you want specifically. In terms of hardware I wanted a exoscope as well as a specific type of operative bed and a number of specific instruments to ensure that I can perform the surgeries that I am being hired to perform. Basically when you graduate you steal all of your attendings equipment cards for their given surgeries and mix and match to your satisfaction. The bottom line is the hospital doesn't have to buy you anything that they have not contractually agreed to buy for you.

No you have to make sure they have what you want specifically. In terms of hardware I wanted a exoscope as well as a specific type of operative bed and a number of specific instruments to ensure that I can perform the surgeries that I am being hired to perform. Basically when you graduate you steal all of your attendings equipment cards for their given surgeries and mix and match to your satisfaction. The bottom line is the hospital doesn't have to buy you anything that they have not contractually agreed to buy for you.
oh ok gotcha I had no idea of that aspect of the negotiation. thanks!

What do you mean by "equipment"? Congrats on your new job as well!

What do you mean by "equipment"? Congrats on your new job as well!
Specific surgical instruments in addition to things like image guidance systems and add-ons. Every scope blade and Kerrison that you want should be specifically identified so you can see if they have it or will buy it for you.

Whoops kind of missed my usual update time but bump just finished fellowship. Now an attending at a children's hospital and did my first cases Friday. AMA
How prepared do you feel to operate independently?

And do you have much more control over your life now to spend more time with family/friends or other ventures?

How prepared do you feel to operate independently?

And do you have much more control over your life now to spend more time with family/friends or other ventures?
Very prepared. The point of training is not to expose you to every possible surgery, but to give you the general skill set to adapt and apply to most situations. There are certainly things still left to learn, but I feel comfortable that I've reached a point where I can either learn them rapidly in the OR or get what I need from either a reasonably brief proctoring or cadaver session.

Much for control for now at least. As I get busy surgically my time may be less freeform but for now I've got two cases scheduled for the whole week and a half day clinic. I'm going to leave for a couple hours to go to my wife's ultrasound one day, go in later another day so I can run before it gets too hot, etc. I will just adjust my start/end times to accommodate. I would say that more than just free time what is most different is freedom to adapt my schedule to my needs. Maybe no more Saturday dental appointments!

• Love
Curious as to hear your experiences with neuroradiology and tumor board, etc. At my institution the neurorads and neurosurgeons have a very good relationship, lot of collaboration during tumor boards, and all the surgeons have specific rads they will run difficult cases by (especially overreads on stuff done overnight by generalists). However the changes with Covid kind of has decreased the usual rounds through the reading room that they used to do so I wonder if things will change at all.

Also I've lurked on this thread for a while, but congratulations on finishing up! Really helpful to hear your perspectives through the process. Hope you get a pimp suit from Savile Row.

Curious as to hear your experiences with neuroradiology and tumor board, etc. At my institution the neurorads and neurosurgeons have a very good relationship, lot of collaboration during tumor boards, and all the surgeons have specific rads they will run difficult cases by (especially overreads on stuff done overnight by generalists). However the changes with Covid kind of has decreased the usual rounds through the reading room that they used to do so I wonder if things will change at all.

Also I've lurked on this thread for a while, but congratulations on finishing up! Really helpful to hear your perspectives through the process. Hope you get a pimp suit from Savile Row.
I respect a number of them. We have joint conferences for various topics and I have a select few that I would call upon as needed for specific complicated reads but for the most part I go with whoever is on the call. other than no longer doing it in person, nothing has specifically changed.

Whoops kind of missed my usual update time but bump just finished fellowship. Now an attending at a children's hospital and did my first cases Friday. AMA
Congrats on the new job (and from the sound of it, baby) man! Hope to join you there in a few years... I partially have your advice in this thread to thank for matching in neurosurgery.

Congrats on the new job (and from the sound of it, baby) man! Hope to join you there in a few years... I partially have your advice in this thread to thank for matching in neurosurgery.
Thank you! My pleasure to help.