Finishing up 2nd year as a neurosurgery attending, ask me anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pre-M1 MD/PhD student interested in neurosurgery. Any suggestions for how to position myself well?

Members don't see this ad.

Pre-M1 MD/PhD student interested in neurosurgery. Any suggestions for how to position myself well?
Well, I think the biggest thing is to show interest first and to identify whether or not there is a neurosurgery affiliated or run lab that would potentially meet your PhD objectives. For example, if you have a MD, PhD epilepsy surgeon who studies language and that's what you want to do your PhD in that would be optimal in terms of both building a relationship with neurosurgeons and also developing practical research skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
You previously stated that many of your consults as a resident were along the lines of being asked to interpret a radiology read. What do you hope (neuro)radiologists could say more clearly so you could avoid such consults?

Now that you're an attending, do you have a go-to trusted neuroradiologist for second opinions about weird studies (or weird first reads)?

Well to be fair, a lot of it is more the consulting service wanting me interpret what the radiologists mean by what they say rather than asking the radiologist.

For their part, being reasonable with hedging is appreciated. For example, there is no such thing as a borderline Chiari. It is either a Chiari or it isn't. So instead of saying borderline Chiari, say cerebellar ectopia that does not meet criteria for Chiari Malformation.

Yes, I have several radiologists that I work with for different imaging types (skullbase/pituitary, spine, etc).

Reactions: 1 users
Are you finding that you enjoy your career more as you are becoming more knowledgable and accomplished at neurosurgery? Is attending > resident > medical student?

Looking back, anything specifically you wish you’d negotiated for back when you applied? Clinic support, scribes, etc?

How much control do you have over your non-call schedule? Do you decide your own clinic hours, number of patients, etc?

Are you finding that you enjoy your career more as you are becoming more knowledgable and accomplished at neurosurgery? Is attending > resident > medical student?
I enjoyed the whole process and each has had their own joys and frustrations, but it's hard to argue that my life isn't better in terms of finances, freedom, and free time now. I would do it all again if I could go back but I wouldn't do it again for fun now

Reactions: 1 user
Looking back, anything specifically you wish you’d negotiated for back when you applied? Clinic support, scribes, etc?

How much control do you have over your non-call schedule? Do you decide your own clinic hours, number of patients, etc?
I wish I had argued for block time rather than the communal time my group shares. It ends up with a lot of weird case orders.

I have substantial control of my schedule, but surprisingly getting busier is harder than staying at the same volume. Despite verbal support actually getting new clinics, etc up and running is a very lengthy undertaking. It took me more than a year to set up my first clinic remote to the main hospital.