First Day At The Clinic....Attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

russellang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a job as a vet assistant and I start tommorow. They told me that they would give me my scrubs tommorow. My question is, what should I wear there? I will have to immediately change into scrubs. They did say to wear sneakers however. I thought I should just wear gym clothes but am not sure how that would look. I have never worn scrubs before by the way.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I'd just wear jeans and a T shirt if you are going to change anyway. Some people like to wear a T shirt under the scrub top (I do in the winter but not in the summer) so you could just put the scrub top over the shirt you are wearing if you wanted to.

And wear sneakers that you're not particularly attached to, because they will get gross. Also don't wear jewelry.

Wear whatever you want. You will probably want a t-shirt or tank top to go under your scrub top (optional if you're a girl but mandatory if you're a guy since a hairy chest looks kind of unprofessional). It can be short or long sleeved depending on the weather and your preference, but if it's long sleeved make sure it's one you don't care about because it will get stained and/or torn.

Jewelry should be minimal. A watch is necessary. Shoes must be comfy since you will be on your feet all day.

Now go to bed! You'll want to be well rested and ready to work, learn, and have fun at your new job.

I know this is too late for the OP, but for anyone else out there wondering, if you are female and of the hippie "wear no bra" lifestyle... I would strongly urge you to make sure you wear a bra under your scrubs!

not only is it a bit unsightly from above if you're bent over, it will hurt like a b*tch. chafing with strong nylon material will be unbearable after about 10 min.