First Day Attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phllystyl

n0t the j0ke f0rum!@RAWR@
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the subject of general clothing has been broached before, but given that no one has specifically adressed "First Day" and Orientation (and mine is tomorrow), I was wondering what everyone who has gone through it has seen so far...

Do you think a pair of slacks and a polo-style shirt would suffice? Or were lots of people more dressed up than that?

Experiences anyone?

phlly

Members don't see this ad.

They didn't say? For us they specified 2 days that were "business casual" and 2 days that were "formal attire," I think. Is there a schedule for the days events? That's where ours said what the day's expected dress was. I think what you should wear will depend on what the day's events are. Like if the White Coat ceremony is on the first day of orientation, a tie would be in order. If it is just orientation lectures, something less formal would be good.

Originally posted by Diogenes
They didn't say? For us they specified 2 days that were "business casual" and 2 days that were "formal attire," I think. Is there a schedule for the days events? That's where ours said what the day's expected dress was. I think what you should wear will depend on what the day's events are. Like if the White Coat ceremony is on the first day of orientation, a tie would be in order. If it is just orientation lectures, something less formal would be good.

Perhaps I missed it but I don't think it mentioned it.

I do know, however, that it is three solid days of lectures on policy, ethics, introductions to departments, and formalities. White Coat Ceremony is to be held in November.

Any other of you TUSM kiddies see anything about attire? Maybe I carlessly missed it.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was a mixed bag at Mayo the first day...some had ties (no suits though), some dressy casual, some real casual (i.e. T-Shirt/shorts). Nobody seemed to care either way. I don't think you can go wrong with a nice pair of slacks, nice shirt. As a professional student, a mix of both professional and student wear seems appropriate.

I went with dress slacks, dress shirt, and a tie for all three days of orientation. Felt a little out of place as only a couple of other people were wearing ties, probably because of the summertime heat! I'd have to say I was overdressed, but I'd rather be overdressed than underdressed. ;) Anyway, now that classes are in full swing, no one cares what anyone wears. :laugh: Hell, we all have enough problems staying awake that early in the morning. Unless you go to a really preppy school like Georgetown or something, slacks and a polo shirt should do just fine.

I'm with mpp on this one... some people at the white coat (the first thing we did) were in full suits, others in t-shirt and shorts. Frankly, no one said a word either way. After that, though, it was all casual for us. It's like the first day of school anywhere... you want to wear nice things but, technically, there are no strict guidelines for attire.

I showed up for my orientation wearing some black pants, black shoes, a Polo type shirt, and carrying a briefcase. Compared to everyone else I looked like a complete tool. I couldn't believe how many of my fellow classmates were dressed. I'm talking backwards hats, t-shirts, torn and wrinkled khaki shorts, and flip-flops. This also seems to be the way that many come dressed to class every day. I've really been suprised, it wasn't what I was expecting. I dropped the briefcase real quick as not to look like a total poindexter!!!

Anyway, I should be studying. 9 A.M. tomorrow is the day of reckoning! Cell Biology exam from 9-noon, and Biochemistry exam from 1-4!!!!

Now I need to go review regulation of gene expression!

Originally posted by phllystyl
I know the subject of general clothing has been broached before, but given that no one has specifically adressed "First Day" and Orientation (and mine is tomorrow), I was wondering what everyone who has gone through it has seen so far...

Do you think a pair of slacks and a polo-style shirt would suffice? Or were lots of people more dressed up than that?

Experiences anyone?

phlly

you just ruined my image of you phllystyl! I always pictured you dressed as dj jazzy jeff ;)

hahahahaha while i havent dressed that way yet, I will certainly do it up now that you mention it ;)

frank