First Interview invite, feedback on Loyola?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heat45

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I received my first interview invite a few days ago and wanted to know if anyone had any tips, insight, or advice at all about Loyola and its interview day. Anything is appreciated, thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Loyola has had two student deaths in a year. I would suggest waiting on more interview invites or talking to current students (M2 / M3 and up) about their experience.

Try to find a way to speak with students who are going to be authentic. Few are going to be open about concerns about their program. Also consider location, tuition, support system, resources, Step 1 scores.

What does this even mean? OP is asking about interview advice to the medical school...the death of two undergraduate students is irrelevant. Unfortunately, universities have student deaths all the time. It doesn't really reflect the quality/experience of the school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What does this even mean? OP is asking about interview advice to the medical school...the death of two undergraduate students is irrelevant. Unfortunately, universities have student deaths all the time. It doesn't really reflect the quality/experience of the school.

I agree.

There was a suicide at my university as well and another attempt from someone I know , will I not apply there? Of course I will.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Loyola has had two student deaths in a year. I would suggest waiting on more interview invites or talking to current students (M2 / M3 and up) about their experience.

The occasional student death shouldn't be a cause of concern when applying to a university, When I was in undergrad, there were always a few student deaths per year, all from either suicide or an accident.

Try to find a way to speak with students who are going to be authentic. Few are going to be open about concerns about their program. Also consider location, tuition, support system, resources, Step 1 scores.

To be accurate, it looks like one per year: one in early Spring 2017 and one in late Spring 2018. Sadly, that is not out of the ordinary in a class of 160.

DocAroundTheClock first posted here at 2 a.m. on a Sunday morning and posted 4 comments in quick succession all with negative comments about Loyola. That should tell you more about him than about Loyola, IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
One in early

To be accurate, it looks like one per year: one in early Spring 2017 and one in late Spring 2018. Sadly, that is not out of the ordinary in a class of 160.

DocAroundTheClock first posted here at 2 a.m. on a Sunday morning and posted 4 comments in quick succession all with negative comments about Loyola. That should tell you more about him than about Loyola, IMHO.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. It's something I would want to know when looking at schools. The deaths themselves are concerning. My concern has been the school's lack of a transparent response.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. It's something I would want to know when looking at schools. The deaths themselves are concerning. My concern has been the school's lack of a transparent response.

What do you mean by a "transparent response"? Do you believe that someone who has died and their family have any right to privacy with regard to the circumstances surrounding the death? Sometimes, the parents of the deceased do not want details regarding the situation released to the public (including the deceased student's fellow students). Should med school administrators respect a family's wishes or not?

When I looked at the Loyola "Bereavement notices" Bereavement Notices: Campus Ministry: Loyola University Chicago I could see that each medical student bereavement notice included information on "Student Wellness Services" including counseling services 24/7.

I mean a transparent response regarding what they are doing to review these deaths from a student affairs standpoint and how they may have been prevented. And I do believe that they could have been prevented with compassionate student-centered intervention. I don't think we can prevent all suicides, but in both cases, I absolutely feel the school fell short of a basic responsibility or made things worse with stigmatization.

Students who are struggling with health issues are threatened with isolation via LOA or separation from their class. How does that improve the situation for someone in crisis?

Are you a current or former student at Loyola? I had quite a few very close friends there, of which a few struggled and were were given lots of resources to help. I'm not aware of any that we're threatened with isolation or a LOA.

It's always possible things have changed quite a bit since they graduated. It was a program that impressed me very much when I interviewed (quite some time ago...) If the OP has concerns they should speak with current Loyola students to hear what they have to say.

Last edited:
Loyola: Good all around medical school. VA-heavy clinical rotations. You don't want to live in Maywood, so you'll likely need a car there, unlike the other Chicago schools where you can probably get away with not having one.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean a transparent response regarding what they are doing to review these deaths from a student affairs standpoint and how they may have been prevented. And I do believe that they could have been prevented with compassionate student-centered intervention. I don't think we can prevent all suicides, but in both cases, I absolutely feel the school fell short of a basic responsibility or made things worse with stigmatization.

Students who are struggling with health issues are threatened with isolation via LOA or separation from their class. How does that improve the situation for someone in crisis?

So, the student's right to privacy regarding their use of student services goes out the window after they've died?

Should students who are severely ill have the option of taking a leave of absence (LOS) and returning to school if/when they regain their health and stamina? I've had several students for whom I had responsibility take LOAs for physical illnesses. Should we have a double standard for mental illness or should we refuse to grant LOAs at all?