First Job Offer Ever- Do i Take it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zgotts

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated college only 5 days ago and am definitely in chill-out-mode, but I just received a job offer doing molecular bio research in New York.

My original summer plan was to relax and think things over a bit, and go into the real world with a clear head. I always thought i was destined for research, though i have started considering medical school as well.

Anyways, would I be a fool to turn down the first offer I get?

My professors have told me that getting a research position fresh out of college is not easy, so I may just want to go after it.

At the same time, I would hate to rush into something that I would be unhappy with in 2 months. (probably more unhappy with my living situation than the work- i have a few friends in nyc, but no one to live with at this point).

Any help is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm really not sure any of us can help you with this. It depends entirely on your personal preferences and career goals.

I just graduated college only 5 days ago and am definitely in chill-out-mode, but I just received a job offer doing molecular bio research in New York.

My original summer plan was to relax and think things over a bit, and go into the real world with a clear head. I always thought i was destined for research, though i have started considering medical school as well.

Anyways, would I be a fool to turn down the first offer I get?

My professors have told me that getting a research position fresh out of college is not easy, so I may just want to go after it.

At the same time, I would hate to rush into something that I would be unhappy with in 2 months. (probably more unhappy with my living situation than the work- i have a few friends in nyc, but no one to live with at this point).

Any help is much appreciated!

Is this job gonna last 2 months? I am going through the same deal. I was offered a job that's only going to last about 3-4 months as an RA.
The pay REALLY REALLY sucks, and I am worried about paying bills. I figured that this job will help me get other jobs as an RA in the future which will help me get RA experience..
If this job will last 2 months....think about this, 2 months go by so fast. Next thing you know, you'll be wondering if you should have taken this job or not (what ifs). I would say take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the 2 months was just a point of reference, and not the length of the job. Not knowing your situation it is hard to say, but I'm a Carpe Diem type person....so I'd look into taking it, but there are many personal factors that should be looked at before doing that: 1. Can you live on the $? 2. Are you willing to move to a new city? 3. What are your other options? 4. Is it an area of interest? etc.

Is this job gonna last 2 months? I am going through the same deal. I was offered a job that's only going to last about 3-4 months as an RA.
The pay REALLY REALLY sucks, and I am worried about paying bills. I figured that this job will help me get other jobs as an RA in the future which will help me get RA experience..
If this job will last 2 months....think about this, 2 months go by so fast. Next thing you know, you'll be wondering if you should have taken this job or not (what ifs). I would say take it.

actually this job is a 2 year commitment. it's the real deal. my main hesitation is being thrown into NYC fresh out of college without knowing too many people around the city.

i think i need to get over that though and realize that this is a rare opportunity, and certainly one that i need to take.

well just to answer those questions:

- It is definitely an area of interested, though probably not exactly what i want to do

-I do want to go to grad school, and this is the best step towards that

-I am definitely interested in living in NYC, but I do not know too many people there

-I am happy with the offered salary

-this is the only offer i have on the table

Congrats on the offer!! Are you pre-med or pre-psych? The content of your post vs. the forum on which it is posted has me a wee bit confused?

-I am definitely interested in living in NYC, but I do not know too many people there

This can definitely be an intimidating thing, but it does not have to be a roadblock. Speaking strictly from my own experience, I moved across the country for grad school where I knew literally nobody in the entire state. Being an introvert (and coming from a small town moving to what I consider to be a big city), I was definitely worried about this but it actually turned out better than I could have ever hoped and now have a lot of friends in the area. It's about to happen again as I go onto a doctoral program and it still makes me a little nervous but I keep telling myself that it worked out really well when I moved here :) Anyway, again that's just my own experience but just wanted to toss that out there that it definitely can be intimidating and/or scary but it can also turn out really well when you least expect it :)

Congrats on the offer!! Are you pre-med or pre-psych? The content of your post vs. the forum on which it is posted has me a wee bit confused?

Thanks! I'm definitely excited about it.

I guess I'd say I'm pre-neuroscience (i got a BA in Neuroscience), and I plan to go to a neuroscience graduate program in a few years. I've also considered med school, but that is still up in the air.

well just to answer those questions:

- It is definitely an area of interested, though probably not exactly what i want to do

-I do want to go to grad school, and this is the best step towards that

-I am happy with the offered salary

-this is the only offer i have on the table

There is an old saying, it's always easier to find a good job when you have a good job, take it and negotiate for a later start date so that you can finish moving your personal belongings.

Mark

It sounds like it would be a great opportunity for you.

I'm hearing two major concerns right off the bat from your posts.

1. Not knowing many people in NYC and not having anyone there to live with.
- I would say take the risk. You said that you know a couple people so they could help you get on your feet and find your way. When you are working in a university/research setting, it's fairly easy to meet people, at least from my experience. Moving somewhere completely different is very difficult. I went through it for my Masters (moved to the other side of the world not knowing the country or a single person) and am now preparing to move across the country not knowing the city I'm moving to or anyone in it. From my experience doing this for my Master's, I learned a hell of a lot about myself and definitely grew as a person. While it was intimidating and lonely at first, I wouldn't change it for the world. I now know what I'm made of, believe in myself more and know that I can make friends quite easily. Honestly, I would suggest flying the coupe and your comfort zone to 90% of the people I know (the other 10% are totally dependant on one thing or another, for example their parents, so they wouldn't have a chance lol). What helped me through this, and what is keeping me sane right now before my next move, is that you can always go back home. There is nothing written in stone that if you give the job 3 months (so even if you hate it you stay) and then decide it's not for you, you can't pick up and leave.

2. That you really wanted to have some time before jumping into such a big commitment and don't want to rush into something you may not like.
- I agree with the other poster who said that you should see if you could start in a couple months so you can firm up your moving plans first. Then you can take some time and relax a bit and ponder life. A break right after finishing your degree is usually a really healthy thing. As for rushing into something that you may not like, I don't mean this to sound cold, but that's life. I don't remember starting one job without the worry of 'is it going to suck'. You will never truly know unless you try it. You may have the idea that you are going to love it, and get there and find out it's totally not what you expected and the people you work with are horrible. Or.. you may get there with low expectations and feeling pretty negative and then discover that that is truly where you want to be in life and it's the perfect job for you. In the end, regardless of which way it turns out, at least you will have some more experience to guage the direction you want your life to take. Is it still in neuroscience? Is it med school or a Ph.D? Do you like the NY life or would your rather be closer to your home town?

Ok, to sum up this long winded post (ya, I'm bored), I would go for it. It sounds like a gift to me actually. The RA job is in a field you really enjoy (maybe not the exact thing, but in the area), the pay is decent, it's a 2 year contract which will give you time to really bond with your supervisors (think references here) and get a load of experience and you would probably get at least a couple co-authored pub's out of it which is great for grad school app's. You can't ask for a much better opportunity straight out of undergrad. The few con's that there are (based on your posts) can be worked through. You can make friends and learn the city and hopefully push your start date back a bit. Furthermore, it you hate it entirely you can quit and go home. So ya, I'd totally say go for it.

Regardless of what you decide though, congrats on the offer. Let it boost your ego cause I think this is a rare opportunity to be offered.