First Semester Down! My progress as a non-trad...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Leo Spaceman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I wanted to keep an archive of sorts about my post-bac experience so this is a recap of my first semester.

I started an informal post-bac program at my local community college this spring. I took physics 1 and chemistry 1 and made a 4.0! I owe my grades to my bomb study method: I rewrite my notes after each class and rework all the homework problems several times.

Now my cumulative GPA is a 3.62 and my BCPM is a 3.52 (I made Bs in calc 1 and 2 in UG). I’ve also accumulated about 70 hours volunteering in a small hospital’s ER and have developed a pretty good relationship with one of the D.O.s there. My other volunteering experience includes teaching English as a second language for my city’s library. I have also worked as a tutor for a learning center (paid, of course) about 20 hours per week for the past 9 months.

A little more about me…I have a degree in economics with honors from my state’s university and the only science I’d taken before this semester is astronomy and nutrition.

I was so freaking nervous about taking my life in this direction – especially since I was so set on being a military pilot and/or going to law school for the longest time – but let me say this semester has been well worth it…even if I am another $1500 in debt.

I just enrolled in classes at a 4-year university for the summer and fall. I’m taking chem 2 in the summer in a condensed 4-week format and ochem, bio 1 and physics 2 in the fall.

It feels so good to be able to post this!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Good luck and good job on the 4.0. I just signed up to start in the fall with Chem 1 and Bio 2 at a CC. I have actually taken these before 10 years ago but need a refresher and better grade. I am excited about starting the process as well. I am a current NP. Hopefully MD one day!

Reactions: 1 user
Good job on the 4.0! Feels amazing, doesn't it? Going back to the sciences after years of being away has given me such a confidence boost. I hope it does the same for you. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck and good job on the 4.0. I just signed up to start in the fall with Chem 1 and Bio 2 at a CC. I have actually taken these before 10 years ago but need a refresher and better grade. I am excited about starting the process as well. I am a current NP. Hopefully MD one day!

Did you previously fail these courses back in UG ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did you previously fail these courses back in UG ?

I didn't fail them but didn't do great. Chem 1 B and Bio 1 C. I was more interested in college life at that time and didn't study at all. I of course am more mature now so hoping to pull an A. I feel like once I get in the chemistry class every thing will come back. It has been so long ago.
I hope it doesn't look bad that I am taking them again.

Nice, man. Keep it up.

Also with MD, they don't do grade forgiveness, so that C you got is there forever. DO forgets about it allegedly.

Hello everybody,

I wanted to keep an archive of sorts about my post-bac experience so this is a recap of my first semester.

It feels so good to be able to post this!

Feel it and dominate the rest of it. My overall GPA and science GPA stunk. I smoked the MCAT (at the time) and also got my 4.0's semester after semester. Adcoms look at improvement, they look at life - keep it up if you want to pursue medicine.

My overall GPA prior to re-doing classes was 3.4. Then I aced everything after that. There was 6 years, a lot of history, hard work and relevant healthcare work in-between. Whatever it was, it worked. Keep it up.

Reactions: 1 users
Nice, man. Keep it up.

Also with MD, they don't do grade forgiveness, so that C you got is there forever. DO forgets about it allegedly.

I see this mentioned a lot. The C stays with you but the new grade shows up too, yea? So you can at least show that, despite taking a second attempt, you have mastered the material?

I see this mentioned a lot. The C stays with you but the new grade shows up too, yea? So you can at least show that, despite taking a second attempt, you have mastered the material?

Correct.

One C and one B won't kill your chances for MD, but median MD non-URM matriculant has a 3.75 in science. Speculate 10th percentile probably is somewhere around a 3.5 sGPA

Going DO you lose neurosurgery and need slightly higher step scores for most specialties...and that's about it. The rest of the loss - often considered huge on SDN - is ego.

I think that the point about ego is relevant. So much of what I see makes it seem like applying DO is an absolute failure! I know this isn't the case. I have some ideas about why this may be given the history but I'll look a little more into it because it's kind of interesting to me.

The idea of neurosurgery is really cool to me but I don't think it's something I'd ever want to do so no worries there! =) And, because of locations, right now plan is to apply to allopathic schools but I have no issues in applying to osteopath schools.

You guys areally making me nervous to even attempt going to school. The B and C were not the only science I have taken. I have had Cs on 4 sciences. I know that is not good but again it was 13 years ago. I know I need major GPA repair. Cumalative is just over 3.0. Science is even less but will be around 3.2 after I finish my core classes. This is for MD, DO would be higher. My grad GPA is 3.8, however this doesn't even count. I know I need repair but hopefully the upward trend will help. I am a nurse practitioner so I have tons of patient contact hours.
Does everyone think it is pointless for me to even try?

You guys areally making me nervous to even attempt going to school. The B and C were not the only science I have taken. I have had Cs on 4 sciences. I know that is not good but again it was 13 years ago. I know I need major GPA repair. Cumalative is just over 3.0. Science is even less but will be around 3.2 after I finish my core classes. This is for MD, DO would be higher. My grad GPA is 3.8, however this doesn't even count. I know I need repair but hopefully the upward trend will help. I am a nurse practitioner so I have tons of patient contact hours.

It's OK to be nervous - that's probably a very appropriate response. Undertaking med school is a lot of stress financially/emotionally/academically, especially as a non-trad who didn't perform well the first time around there's even more pressure to do well this time. But, if becoming a physician is something you truly want and the thought of doing literally anything else is unbearable to you, you'll have to take the first steps regardless of nervousness. Whether or not there's a point in you trying is something I think only you can figure out based on your situation (ex. if you're happy as a NP, not worth the strain on you/your family, etc.)

But good news is, if you do decide to go for it there have been plenty of users on these forums who faced the same obstacles and succeeded. Even people who had a slew of Fs and Ds! You also might be surprised how well you handle school again as an older non-trad who is more mature/disciplined.

You could always start out by taking 1 class to see how you handle the courseload, basically easing your way into it. You've also got the benefit of being a nurse practitioner too. Good luck!

It's OK to be nervous - that's probably a very appropriate response. Undertaking med school is a lot of stress financially/emotionally/academically, especially as a non-trad who didn't perform well the first time around there's even more pressure to do well this time. But, if becoming a physician is something you truly want and the thought of doing literally anything else is unbearable to you, you'll have to take the first steps regardless of nervousness. Whether or not there's a point in you trying is something I think only you can figure out based on your situation (ex. if you're happy as a NP, not worth the strain on you/your family, etc.)

But good news is, if you do decide to go for it there have been plenty of users on these forums who faced the same obstacles and succeeded. Even people who had a slew of Fs and Ds! You also might be surprised how well you handle school again as an older non-trad who is more mature/disciplined.

You could always start out by taking 1 class to see how you handle the courseload, basically easing your way into it. You've also got the benefit of being a nurse practitioner too. Good luck!

Thank you for the reply. I do think I am more mature and will do well. I know I could have done well in the past but didn't apply myself. I was an honor graduate in highschool and always did well but there was something about those first two years of college that I had too much fun.

I plan on taking Bio and Chem in the fall. I think it will be a good start since I have had both in the past.

Thanks again. It makes me feel better. I know it will be a long hard road.

OP and bKennedy:: Did you take retake physics yet? And if you did, did you have to retake calc or any math classes ? My concern is that I must take physics 1+ 2 before transferring. But my math is very weak and I scored low on the placement exam(not even pre-calc).

OP and bKennedy:: Did you take retake physics yet? And if you did, did you have to retake calc or any math classes ? My concern is that I must take physics 1+ 2 before transferring. But my math is very weak and I scored low on the placement exam(not even pre-calc).

I have not taken physics yet. I don't plan on taking anymore math before I take the class. I took a math my freshman year, but cannot remember which one. I have also taken statistics and advanced statistics which probably won't help with physics. I took physics honors in high school and did well. I am hoping it won't be too bad.

I have taken through calc II but only used algebra and a bit of trig in my physics I class. You do not have to take calculus-based physics for most (if not all) medical schools. Most schools have a "Physics for Life Sciences Majors" or a "General Physics" class in addition to the calculus-based engineering physics - this is what you need. I'm taking physics II in the fall and I'll let everybody know how that goes.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! And good luck on your Fall schedule. I've started this Summer with a simple Calc I course at my local 4-year school, registered as a 2nd degree student. Only on my second week of classes but I'm having a blast. I've got a lot on my plate right now and I'll probably offer up a status report (like yours) at the end of this Summer or end of next Fall.

Wow. Why in the world would you think it might be pointless to try, if this is truly what you want? You can definitely do this.

Wow. Why in the world would you think it might be pointless to try, if this is truly what you want? You can definitely do this.
Thanks. I am going to try my best!