First Time Applicant/Reapplication -- Advice Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bretz10

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
State of Residency: WI
Major: Biology
Minor(s): Chemistry and Leadership
Current Career GPA: 3.27
Biology GPA: 3.2
Chemistry GPA: 3.14
DAT Scores(AA/Science/Organic/General/Biology/RC/QR/PA): 19/19/18/18/20/20/17/17
Application Date: Late June/First week of July
Schools I applied to: Western University, Nova Southeastern University, Southern Illinois University, Midwestern University, University of Colorado, University of Iowa, University of Indiana, University of Minnesota, University of Nebraska, Marquette University.
Interviews: None
Schools that haven't said no: Iowa, Marquette, Nebraska, and Colorado though Iowa and Marquette have emailed me saying I was on hold.
Observing Hours: 51 hours spread between general dentists, an oral surgeon, and endodontist.

Hello,
I am currently finishing up my senior year at Wartburg College in Iowa. I am a 4 year collegiate soccer player. As you can see above I have not been interviewed by any schools and it is likely that I will be declined from the remaining schools (Panic sets in). My thinking with the schools that I applied to was to apply to a variety of schools both near and far from my state of residency and with varying levels of competitiveness. I applied as early as possible to increase my chances and also believe I received strong letters of recomendation. My GPA and DAT score are certainly not exceptional but I believe that playing a collegiate sport has impact my performance in school immensely (I got a 3.7 GPA after soccer season and likely to get a 4.0 this next semester). Also, due to the massive time commitment year round playing soccer was I didn't have as much time for things like clubs and volunteer opportunities. I have taken numerous upper level science courses and done the best in subjects like biochemistry. In the emails sent to me telling me I haven't been accepted a couple schools mentioned reapplication/advice classes or meetings which I intend to do for the schools that were my top choices (Minnesota/Marquette/Colorado/Iowa).

The gist of all of this is that I am stuck between a rock and a very hard place. My passion I believe is in dentistry and has always been a dream of mine, however, the application process is taking it's toll on me. Due to the fact that it seems like I won't be accepted into dental school I am wondering a few things for next time/future:
1.) Is my application even remotely competitive?
2.) What should I do to improve it?
3.) What are my options after I graduate to be better for next time? Work experience? 1 year masters program? Others?
4.) If dental school doesn't work, what else is out there that pays decently? Medical sales? Others?
5.) Anything else that might be helpful? More information needed?

I am open to all suggestions and critics about anything above. I have thick skin and take criticism well. I am not looking for sympathy but rather cold hard honesty. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bretz10

Members don't see this ad.

1. Not competitive for dental school. Your DAT scores and GPA are both under average. If one if low but the other is high, it works out but both low is not looked favorably on.
2. Retake DAT. Aim to improve every section. When you reapply they will want to see that you can identify mistakes and work harder/perform better. A lot of schools also just want 18s or 19s and above. Those 17s definitely should come up and anything else increasing is always a plus.
3. Do a post bacc program, which will allow you to retake science courses, learn about the subjects in depth, sometimes you get guidance for applying after the program.

4. Something else that pays decently is a really strange way to word it. It sort of sounds like you wanted dentistry for the sole reason that it is a nice career that pays well. While this factor should be a factor in any profession you choose, it should not be the first thing on your mind when assessing a career. there's a lot you can do in the medical field and any quick google search will show you all the opportunities based on what kind of environment you want.

5. I'm not sure if you knew how competitive this process was before applying. And honestly if you didn't thats not a bad thing..a lot of people don't. But just being an athlete doesnt get you excused from getting good grades. athletes at my undergrad school would be doing Division 1 sports and still getting 4.0s and going to med school o_0. its really good that you have a talent and a passion and that looks good but its pretty irrelevant overall to this career and will not make up for anything else that is lacking. you need to pick up your grades and show a commitment to this career. also, Volunteer. i think admissions members want to see active participation in medical fields or health fields.

You can still do this, but Only if you commit to building yourself up as a competitive applicant.

1. Not competitive for dental school. Your DAT scores and GPA are both under average. If one if low but the other is high, it works out but both low is not looked favorably on.
2. Retake DAT. Aim to improve every section. When you reapply they will want to see that you can identify mistakes and work harder/perform better. A lot of schools also just want 18s or 19s and above. Those 17s definitely should come up and anything else increasing is always a plus.
3. Do a post bacc program, which will allow you to retake science courses, learn about the subjects in depth, sometimes you get guidance for applying after the program.

4. Something else that pays decently is a really strange way to word it. It sort of sounds like you wanted dentistry for the sole reason that it is a nice career that pays well. While this factor should be a factor in any profession you choose, it should not be the first thing on your mind when assessing a career. there's a lot you can do in the medical field and any quick google search will show you all the opportunities based on what kind of environment you want.

5. I'm not sure if you knew how competitive this process was before applying. And honestly if you didn't thats not a bad thing..a lot of people don't. But just being an athlete doesnt get you excused from getting good grades. athletes at my undergrad school would be doing Division 1 sports and still getting 4.0s and going to med school o_0. its really good that you have a talent and a passion and that looks good but its pretty irrelevant overall to this career and will not make up for anything else that is lacking. you need to pick up your grades and show a commitment to this career. also, Volunteer. i think admissions members want to see active participation in medical fields or health fields.

You can still do this, but Only if you commit to building yourself up as a competitive applicant.

Thank you very much for being honest. Money is certainly not all I'm looking for but it sure would be nice to pay off my student loans from attending a private school before I die. I understand it may seem like money is all I care about given my post although it's not.

Reactions: 1 users