First Year Curriculum for Podiatry School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zed750

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Can anyone tell me why there is a difference in first year curriculums between most of the podiatric schools? For example, Scholl is scheduled for 69 total credit hours their first year whereas Arizona is 58.5, CSPM is 44, Barry is 33 credit hours. Are these equivalent credit hours?

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Can anyone tell me why there is a difference in first year curriculums between most of the podiatric school? For example, Scholl is scheduled for 69 total credit hours their first year whereas Arizona is 58.5 and CSPM is 44 credit hours. Are these equivalent credit hours?

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.

The schools are each attempting to assign a weight for each class that is internally consistent within all their programs and likely takes into account some internal rule system concerning number of tests or number of hours of class (3 tests->3 credits*). DMU only gives 38.5 for 1st year. Wouldn't worry over. Equivalency shouldn't matter unless you are attempting to transfer and I'm not even going to touch that.

*not claiming this is a hard and fast rule - just giving a possible example.

At the end of the day everyone learns the same subjects by the time boards part 1 comes around after year 2. The numbers really can't be used except to compare within the school itself. Kent is like 53ish first year. I still have no clue how they figure that.

I think the most likely correlation of credit hours is how many actual hours you meet in class a week (I think we see this in undergrad as well). And for Kent, we take 62 credits worth of classes our first year. By the time Boards come around, every school will have covered the courses on those particular boards.