First Year Woes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realDrSeuss

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are current first years and those who already completed first year, handling the jump from undergrad to med school? Did you feel you study the same way you did in undergrad or did you need to make big changes in your habits? Did you remain close with friends and have any free time? Thank you for any advice that you can offer.

From,
An excitedanxious pre-med

Members don't see this ad.

About a third of my students have a big shock in their first half-semester of med school. They discover the hard way that what worked in college doesn't work in med school. In time, they figure out what works.

While you will have to give up a lot of things, if you're good at time mgt., you can have free time.

How are current first years and those who already completed first year, handling the jump from undergrad to med school? Did you feel you study the same way you did in undergrad or did you need to make big changes in your habits? Did you remain close with friends and have any free time? Thank you for any advice that you can offer.

From,

Reactions: 3 users

From,

Biggest shock to me was how bad my butt hurt because I'd be sitting for so long.

Had a huge change to my study habits. Before it was lots and lots of notes. Now it's minimal note taking and consistency/efficiency in learning. A lot more practice questions to apply the knowledge into clinical vignettes.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Its radically different. In undergrad I didn't know how to study. I'd go over the material once on my own before exams. In MS I do spaced repetition in effect going over things 3-4 times before exams. Its also much longer chunks of time. Finding study spaces that work for you because you get aversions to your primary ones has become a thing. I used to take paper notes in undergrad and for MS switched to using OneNote which is a godsend because paper notes are inefficient, your writing hand will hurt and they can get lost. I also recently got a tablet so I could review notes for 3-4 hrs at the gym on the treadmill while walking just so my body doesn't just atrophy. The sync to other devices feature is really nice. I do like 8-10mi and get in solid study time.

Try to get in free time for yourself and especially make time for the gym. Gotta plan ahead though and sometimes might require you to cram all your stuff into a break or something. I still look out for concerts and cool stuff going on--gotta stay sane. Still monitor investments, still go out for dinners with friends, time with the parental units, we still drink like fish after exams.

Biggest shock to me was how bad my butt hurt because I'd be sitting for so long.
Had a huge change to my study habits. Before it was lots and lots of let's. Now it's Minimal note taking and consistency and efficiency in learning. A lot more practice questions to apply the knowledge into clinical vignettes.
I hear you on the butt-hurt. Also I'd say hamstring/quads are always antsy. I take notes like crazy though. How do you get away with minimal notes?

Reactions: 5 users
Its radically different. In undergrad I didn't know how to study. I'd go over the material once on my own before exams. In MS I do spaced repetition in effect going over things 3-4 times before exams. Its also much longer chunks of time. Finding study spaces that work for you because you get aversions to your primary ones has become a thing. I used to take paper notes in undergrad and for MS switched to using OneNote which is a godsend because paper notes are inefficient, your writing hand will hurt and they can get lost. I also recently got a tablet so I could review notes for 3-4 hrs at the gym on the treadmill while walking just so my body doesn't just atrophy. The sync to other devices feature is really nice. I do like 8-10mi and get in solid study time.

Try to get in free time for yourself and especially make time for the gym. Gotta plan ahead though and sometimes might require you to cram all your stuff into a break or something. I still look out for concerts and cool stuff going on--gotta stay sane. Still monitor investments, still go out for dinners with friends, time with the parental units, we still drink like fish after exams.

I hear you on the butt-hurt. Also I'd say hamstring/quads are always antsy. I take notes like crazy though. How do you get away with minimal notes?

What is OneNote? Do you use Anki?

I'm always butt hurt, physically and mentally! Lol.

So our first block I had tried to do with taking notes and just realized I was rehashing everything. So I just started reading everything and made sure to really be effective with my reading, pausing to make sure I had a scaffold of what was being presented and then adding to with each pass of the material.

I've only recently started note taking again and that was because we are tested directly from Big Robbins and memorizing the subclasses and specific alpha or beta structure in the four subclasses of osteogenesis imperfecta is too much for my brain to handle so I write it down and cram it the day before our exam.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What is OneNote? Do you use Anki?
Microsoft OneNote. I don't use Anki, but i know at least a few of my classmates do. I think its good for rote memorization, not so much for concepts and understanding which is what im going for right now.

Reactions: 1 user