First-year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalaland123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I had a question regarding my first year gpa.

I had a tough time adjusting in college and my freshmen year gpa/grades are below avg for med school.

Will this be overlooked as long as I do well the rest of the years? Or will they at least understand that I do have a commitment to this field, but it just took me time to adjust and grasp things...

And I will not repeat the same mistake for med school, that's why I am already here : )

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Upward GPA trends look good. It won't be great that you did poorly (especially if your basic sciences are there - I'd take further ones to show you can do well in the area), but if you show that you can do better and better that will be looked on pretty favorably.

thank you =)

i am a bio major, so i will hv lots of bio classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely agree with Suenya. An upward trend looks much better than, for example, someone who had a 3.7 freshman year and consistently declined each year. Just make sure you kill it from here on out and it is possible. I know from experience...I had a 2.5 freshman GPA and graduated with a 3.5 so just work your butt off and it will be all good.

^omg i can so relate...thanks a lot!!!!

(i hope to atleast hv a 3.5)

Yeah no prob. And one more thing. I graduated last May and applied the month after for this cycle. Basically my point being...I am sure you know it is more common to apply during your junior year in college; however, with my 2.5 freshman gpa, I was only at like a 3.3 at the end of my junior year so I felt it would be beneficial to apply after my senior year and take a year off after graduation in order to bring my gpa up even more. I definitely think it was worth it. Only you can make the decision whether to take a year off while applying or not, but do not rush this process. You do not want to have to reapply because you didn't want to wait an extra year to bring your gpa up even more. This app process is long and difficult...kinda like the mcat. You only want to do it once if you have any control over it. Plus it can give you an extra year of dedication to community service, extracurriculars, clinical hours, and potential for more leadership positions.

and if i may ask--did you get into a school?

and does taking a year off go against you in any way? i am sure they are critical of it....

and does taking a year off go against you in any way? i am sure they are critical of it....

actually year offs are often a huge plus IF you do something productive during that time (volunteer, research, overseas work, etc.). Year offs can only hurt if you did NOTHING during that time.

kk thanks! i used to think...i don't want any breaks...i want to go to med school right away cuz it already takes so long....but iv realized....

i just want to go to med schoool. a year isnt that big of a difference.

and if i may ask--did you get into a school?

Yes I was just recently accepted and will be entering this fall. Like the person above said, it can look great if you do something productive. I chose to get a job (just a sales associate at Gap), shadow physicians, and volunteer at a hospice. On most secondaries, they will ask what you will do if you're taking a year off, so it will look good to have some productive activities lined up for yourself.