Fishy military email sent to DO applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shimmmy

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been applying broadly to DO schools and have distributed my email to countless institutions. I'm guessing others have done the same.

Just recently the Air Force got hold of my email address and sent me an invitation to apply to their HPSP program. They want all my information...over email.

Is this safe? Has anybody else received emails invitations to apply to their HPSP program? The email address is legit but this seems a little fishy.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been applying to broadly to DO schools and have distributed my email to countless institutions. I'm guessing others have done the same.

Just recently the Air Force got hold of my email address and sent me an invitation to apply to their HPSP program. They want all my information...over email.

Is this safe? Has anybody else received emails invitations to apply to their HPSP program? The email address is legit but this seems a little fishy.
I have gotten two recruiter's emails. Mine seemed legit, but I'm not interested. If their contact email is a @.mil , then it is probably cool.

Reactions: 1 user
I have gotten two recruiter's emails. Mine seemed legit, but I'm not interested. If their contact email is a @.mil , then it is probably cool.
Thnx for the quick reply!

Oh good I'm glad I'm not the only one. Yea it's @us.af.mil, seems legit. Although The email was very plain, no Air Force badge in the heading or anything. Just a couple numbers and an address...

Members don't see this ad :)
Recruiters can sometimes be shady. I've dealt with some bad ones. They were pretty aggressive with their recruiting tactics when I joined, but I went enlisted back when Bush was still President.

I'd still be careful. Spoofing email addresses isn't exactly the hardest thing to do

I've been applying broadly to DO schools and have distributed my email to countless institutions. I'm guessing others have done the same.

I received a handful of these earlier in the fall. I ended up expressing some interest, met with a recruiter, went through all the motions, completed my application, and right before I was supposed to submit it I withdrew.

Like others have touched on, recruiters can be VERY shady. They won't lie to you, but they WILL tell you partial truths to make their program look like a godsend.

If you are legitimately interested in HPSP, I highly^99 recommend talking to as many people as you possibly can (NOT just the ones your recruiter puts you into contact with... *Cough cough* SAMPLING BIAS *Cough cough*.)

It's a great program for those that know EXACTLY what they are getting into (e.g. Have previous experience with military/Air Force/navy, have family currently in armed forces, etc.) BUT, do not be fooled by the glimmer and glam presented to you by your recruiter; they aren't giving you the full story.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If in doubt and if you are interested, contact a medical recruiter.

Having gone through the motions, they will explicitly tell you NOT to submit DOB or SSN through email. There is a "safe" site the military uses for this and other Privacy Act data. Any other info is normal for them to request over email.

Sent from my LGLS676 using SDN mobile

Email is legit but don't do it. Like the above poster mentions there are other, safer channels to submit that info.

Reactions: 1 users
My favorite was when my recruiter told me to flat out lie to MEPS about an ankle injury that I've had to wear a brace for as an athlete. Quote of the day...

"No means 'new ipportunity.'" Swear to god... what a scumbag.

Beware the recruiters... if you're thinking about it, ask for the contract and read it over with a lawyer so you know what the truth is of what you're signing up for... cause I've gotten these same emails recently. Military could really use a new PR/recruiting marketing person

I got one and I haven't been accepted to medical school yet...

I got one and I haven't been accepted to medical school yet...

They get your info from AAMC when you take your MCAT. Same concept of how you have probably gotten some emails from random podiatry schools.

Recruiters will usually be shady.

I fixed it for ya.

Really though they're just shotgunning a distro list. Recruiter school is a sales school and they use the same techniques. This is just prospecting leads.

Coffee is for closers.

Reactions: 1 users