FIU HWCOM vs UCF (WL)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MEtoMD

Medical Student
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit: Please if you can provide feedback on my pros/cons or any other pros/cons you may know about either of these schools. Also a brief explanation for why you voted one or other would be amazing! Thanks for the help!

Background: I went to UCF for undergrad. Fairly torn and I believe I'd be very happy at either school. I have not yet visited FIU's campus so that could be a game changer too. I am on waitlist for UCF but I was told I would very likely be offered an acceptance based on my position.

FIU HWCOM
Pros
  • Exciting new city with new experiences
  • P/F grading
  • Miami provides rich cultural experiences and diverse patient population
  • Located next to large undergraduate campus with more access to amenities (Lots of food options, gym, etc)
Cons
  • I have heard they have a weak anatomy program with more models and less cadavers
  • Driving to clinical sites in Miami traffic
  • Total cost of attendance 20K more a year than UCF (75K vs 55K)

UCF
Pros
  • Familiarity with UCF, Orlando, and Lake Nona
  • Higher ranking
  • More research opportunities
  • Soon will have their own small teaching hospital
  • Cheaper (55K vs 75K)
Cons
  • Separated from main UCF campus (Less amenities close by)
  • I have read bad things about UCF's rotations in HCA hospital facilities. They recently lost 40% of their 3rd year clerkships at the two largest hospitals in Orlando (AdventHealth and Orlando Health) due to partnering with HCA for their own teaching hospital.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I agree with going to the cheaper school. Employers won't really care what school you came from, but residency programs might. However, UCF has been successful in matching their students into competitive specialties, like Dermatology. Now, if you are thinking of going into pediatrics, IM, and such, I'd dare say it doesn't really matter what school you attend if all you want is getting into a residency program.

Reactions: 1 user
Say that money becomes more even with scholarship/financial aid and the decision is based off only the school, does that change things?

Members don't see this ad :)
MD3be19 is right. I forgot to mention that UCF lost its most important rotation sites, and students are complaining that some of the community clinics they have to go now for their 3rd and 4th year are not that good (e.g., poor patient population, not a lot of teaching from attendings, etc.). Now, UCF just inaugurated their fancy teaching hospital. It just started with like 100+ beds, though. So, it won't be the same as the AdventHealth mega hospitals, but it's a start. I'm just an undergrad at UCF, so I'd suggest you go to the UCF reddit and ask med students what they think of their rotations. Other than that, their med school building is really high tech and modern. Overall, a great school, otherwise they wouldn't be accredited.

Now, if it only comes to the school, UCF is ranked better by residency director programs. There is a link to that in the pre-med subreddit. That might be an advantage. But, even though you might not be clear yet what specialty of medicine you will like to practice, if you have a strong idea of what area of medicine you want to get into, I'd suggest you select the school based on that. UCF is trying to center a lot around research as to make it a compulsory part of the curriculum. If you wanna try a competitive specialty, they might be a better school than FIU in that aspect. But FIU might have better rotation sites right now.

Now, if you wanna go into primary care (or even an IM subspecialty, like endo), you should really not be concerned about what school. Focus on other aspects. For instance, I'm a non-trad, not that old but old enough that priorities in my life have shifted. I will not be choosing a school based on prestige, T20 and that nonsense (nonsense to me because American med schools have such high standards for accreditation that the difference between them is mostly the ancillary stuff, IMO). I will not be attending a school that won't give me a good fin-aid package and/or is located in an expensive city. I like primary care, maybe endo, so I am really not focusing on what school as long as they are accredited and cheap and such, and that is why I really don't care if I get into MD or DO schools. My family is low income, so I need to take money into account. Maybe your thing might not be income, but the city life, campus activities, etc.

MD3be19 is right. I forgot to mention that UCF lost its most important rotation sites, and students are complaining that some of the community clinics they have to go now for their 3rd and 4th year are not that good (e.g., poor patient population, not a lot of teaching from attendings, etc.). Now, UCF just inaugurated their fancy teaching hospital. It just started with like 100+ beds, though. So, it won't be the same as the AdventHealth mega hospitals, but it's a start. I'm just an undergrad at UCF, so I'd suggest you go to the UCF reddit and ask med students what they think of their rotations. Other than that, their med school building is really high tech and modern. Overall, a great school, otherwise they wouldn't be accredited.

Now, if it only comes to the school, UCF is ranked better by residency director programs. There is a link to that in the pre-med subreddit. That might be an advantage. But, even though you might not be clear yet what specialty of medicine you will like to practice, if you have a strong idea of what area of medicine you want to get into, I'd suggest you select the school based on that. UCF is trying to center a lot around research as to make it a compulsory part of the curriculum. If you wanna try a competitive specialty, they might be a better school than FIU in that aspect. But FIU might have better rotation sites right now.

Now, if you wanna go into primary care (or even an IM subspecialty, like endo), you should really not be concerned about what school. Focus on other aspects. For instance, I'm a non-trad, not that old but old enough that priorities in my life have shifted. I will not be choosing a school based on prestige, T20 and that nonsense (nonsense to me because American med schools have such high standards for accreditation that the difference between them is mostly the ancillary stuff, IMO). I will not be attending a school that won't give me a good fin-aid package and/or is located in an expensive city. I like primary care, maybe endo, so I am really not focusing on what school as long as they are accredited and cheap and such, and that is why I really don't care if I get into MD or DO schools. My family is low income, so I need to take money into account. Maybe your thing might not be income, but the city life, campus activities, etc.
Thank you so much! Do you know if a 2021 version of the residency program director rankings will come out to see if UCF drops at all?

Here's the subreddit rankings. It seems to include 2021.

If you really are having this much difficulty deciding between these two schools, it could be an indication that they are not that different to you. So, either choose the one with the best finaid package or better residency rankings, or focus on other areas that will make your experience better. I, for one, would completely despise having to drive in Miami traffic, but I might be biased in favor of UCF too, lol

Does anyone have any more insight into this? I am making the exact same decision and really unsure. I prefer Miami to Orlando (grew up in Orlando) but I know UCF is the slightly stronger program. I am interested in more competitive specialties like derm. The difference in cost is not a huge factor for me (although obviously cheaper is better). If anyone can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated because I am stuck!

Also, Does anyone have access to the UCF match list? I cannot find it anywhere.

Does anyone have any more insight into this? I am making the exact same decision and really unsure. I prefer Miami to Orlando (grew up in Orlando) but I know UCF is the slightly stronger program. I am interested in more competitive specialties like derm. The difference in cost is not a huge factor for me (although obviously cheaper is better). If anyone can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated because I am stuck!

Also, Does anyone have access to the UCF match list? I cannot find it anywhere.
Previous years match lists are easy to find on google. @REL posted this years match list in the UCF specific forum a while ago maybe late March or early April if you scroll back!

Just to add on to what everyone else has said, you'd be happy at either tbh. If you want a change, definitely go to FIU. Community is so strong there, which I'm sure you've seen by the GroupMe. Also just wanted to comment that when I visited FIU, especially the medical campus and facilities, I was amazed and shocked by how wonderful they are. There's even a floor/area in the library dedicated to medical students only. It seemed so great.

With regards to your "con" about their weak anatomy program, I asked about this on my welcome back visit and they actually highlighted that they go by this "three touch approach" where first years are introduced through the initial anatomy block, then re-cover cross-sections in detail throughout other specific blocks, and even have the opportunity to do the dissections in M4 once students are more meticulous and actually understand how to properly dissect. Just wanted to provide you this perspective because it was a major con for me at initial glance too.

Just to add on to what everyone else has said, you'd be happy at either tbh. If you want a change, definitely go to FIU. Community is so strong there, which I'm sure you've seen by the GroupMe. Also just wanted to comment that when I visited FIU, especially the medical campus and facilities, I was amazed and shocked by how wonderful they are. There's even a floor/area in the library dedicated to medical students only. It seemed so great.

With regards to your "con" about their weak anatomy program, I asked about this on my welcome back visit and they actually highlighted that they go by this "three touch approach" where first years are introduced through the initial anatomy block, then re-cover cross-sections in detail throughout other specific blocks, and even have the opportunity to do the dissections in M4 once students are more meticulous and actually understand how to properly dissect. Just wanted to provide you this perspective because it was a major con for me at initial glance too.
Thank you so much! This really got me excited about FIU :)

Status
Not open for further replies.