FlexMed 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
some information about interviews this year

we estimated about 125 interviews, I'm sure they'll give out the exact number in the future. interviews took place throughout the month of March on Zoom, of course, and lasted about half a day. quick presentation and chance to ask Dr. Parkas a question or two, then introductions with others interviewing that day, two one on one interviews with faculty and/or senior med student, then chat with current students.

from my experience, and a few others', interviews this year were a bit different content-wise. in years past it sounded like the interviews were fully focused on the flex factor and activities from your application, sort of making sure you actually did/cared about the stuff you said you did and that you have a real reason to get in early. One one of my interviews was about these topics this year, the faculty asked about my application and "what can flexmed do for you" aka why let you in two years early lol.
my second interview was fully advocacy/service-based and the interviewer explicitly told me "today I will be assessing your advocacy and service" at the very start of the interview. That was startling, to say the least. Lots of questions about defending people's backgrounds and identities, bullying, serving a community and standing up for others/outreach for the underserved followed. It felt totally like what I expect a normal MD interview would be because I didn't get a single flexmed or application based question from my second interviewer.

This was very interesting to me and I talked to a few others about it, many of whom has similar experiences with two very different interviews. It seems (and this is a pure rumor from a current Sinai student that some of us heard) each interviewer has a "theme" they direct the interview towards. The first was clearly "flexmed" and the second was clearly "advocacy". I haven't heard of this for flexmed before, it sounded like the early assurance interviews were always about the flex factors and stuff. But I am assuming the traditional MD interviews had this two theme format and they transplanted that in for flexmed this year...maybe?

I think the interview also represents what flexmed is now looking for in applicants. Sinai has always been a school that takes service/outreach/advocacy pretty seriously, it's something they showcase front and center in the presentations of the school. However, they are also research heavy, entrepreneurial and demand solid clinical experiences out of flexmed applicants. from my research on years past it looked like the path to getting an interview was great stats+at least some clinical exposure+a passion for one or two of the activities Sinai values (either research or volunteering or leadership etc) plus a really legit flex factor. However, this year the common denominator for applicants interviewed seems to be service/advocacy. I am guessing it is due to the nature of 2020-2021 and how much social upheaval we are seeing but I think Sinai is making it clear that they value service/advocacy more than anything else. I would anticipate this would carry into years in the future. all the applicants I talked to in the gc before interviews were out and those that got interviews were all usually strong stat wise, had cool activities and solid reasons to apply early but the general trend I personally have noticed for those that got interviews was a pretty significant service experience or aptitude, particularly towards underserved communities, whatever you may define it as. or perhaps leaving your comfort zone and working with communities other than your own.

Again, these are just my thoughts. However, I do believe we are seeing Sinai make service and advocacy a much more important factor in who they take, even for flexmed. and whereas the interview was once mostly defending your application activities and flex factor, it now includes emphasis on showing them that you are determined to serve the communities Sinai prides itself on helping. I am guessing no amount of research or clinical experience can substitute service, though I may be wrong. Just something to keep in mind as yall future applicants both decide whether to apply and, if you do, which of your activities to highlight.

ps: if there are n=1, 2, 3 or even 50 people who had no service and got interviews please share that as well, again this is just my experience and what I am taking away from it but if you think I misanalyzed whats happening then add your own pov, the more we can help future apps the better :D
Thinking about applying next year and curious - given covid - do you think they were trying to weed people out in the interview? Like I know the point of an interview is to evaluate applicants, but did people think their interview went well? Were the interviewers nice or intimidating?

Members don't see this ad.

I got in! Decisions went out today. Very excited to meet everyone else in the program

Reactions: 1 users
Decisions sent out June 28 in a two-hour span around noon. I was rejected but it was a good run :)

A few notes:
  1. if rejected, email Dean Parkas and your interviewer(s)!!! both gave me amazing feedback and encouraged me to keep in touch, keep them updated through the years and apply after my MCAT. you can get some gold tips for improvements and position yourself for the regular cycle
  2. this is according to my interviewer, sometimes even if you're lacking in an area the initial screeners will give you a benefit of the doubt if you have enough in other areas but you need to make up for deficiencies in the interview
  3. I appeared "more as a scientist than a clinician". this seems to be a common mistake. very often we freshman/sophomores find a research lab and project at the start of college and are strong in this area but our clinical experience is minimal or lacking. I would recommend starting the other way around. get in the clinic and show both yourself and Sinai that you know what a clinician's work is and that you're committed to it
  4. my initial thoughts were accurate, Sinai is valuing service and advocacy a lot more than some online sources and advising services would suggest. This should, in some way, be a focal point of your application if you want to succeed here. both Dean Parkas and my interviewer said that I need to demonstrate my empathy and advocate for some population in the next two years to add to my presentation as a clinician rather than just a scientist.
  5. don't rely on updates. i was rejected because my clinical exposure and service was insufficient. I secured jobs/positions targeting both in February 2021 (as covid cooled down in my state) and sent updates PRIOR to interviews. neither of my interviews asked about either of my new roles, stuck strictly to what was in my original application and likely didn't take them into account for decisions. granted, the caveat here is that they saw my new stuff and still thought that was insufficient, which is totally fair, but I still recommend not to rely on updating Sinai with new positions to pass through all the 'requirements'.
  6. My interview was "solid/strong". Where I failed was in my original application; I simply didn't have enough of what Sinai prides itself on recruiting for. This is my biggest piece of advice. Focus on making sure you have a well rounded application that would be SUITABLE FOR REGULAR CYCLE! Don't try to pass through the screen and think you can save yourself with a great interview afterwards; the original application matters a lot even after interviews since 99% of students will kill the interview. A lot of people I asked before applying told me that the flex factor is the most important and your application should revolve around that. That is what I did. However, I want to change that to something else. Your flex factor should be very solid and defined, but the rest of your application should be as refined and diverse with clinical work, volunteering and advocacy, and some research too, as it would if you were applying regular cycle.
Good luck to each of you!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I will be an applicant for the 2021-22 cycle, and have a few questions about the process:

1) Does the admissions committee prefer more narrative-style essays with information regarding our experiences and goals tied to the narrative, or rather direct, to-the-point informational essays?

2) Up to how many activities did the application allow you to enter in the extracurricular activities section?

3) Is there a "personal statement" section of the application, or are the 3 essays essentially the personal statement?

4) Do the essay prompts change every year? I would like to start writing my drafts but am not sure if the prompts would end up changing for my cycle.

I will be an applicant for the 2021-22 cycle, and have a few questions about the process:

1) Does the admissions committee prefer more narrative-style essays with information regarding our experiences and goals tied to the narrative, or rather direct, to-the-point informational essays?

2) Up to how many activities did the application allow you to enter in the extracurricular activities section?

3) Is there a "personal statement" section of the application, or are the 3 essays essentially the personal statement?

4) Do the essay prompts change every year? I would like to start writing my drafts but am not sure if the prompts would end up changing for my cycle.
No personal statement. The 3 essays act as that.

Decisions sent out June 28 in a two-hour span around noon. I was rejected but it was a good run :)

A few notes:
  1. if rejected, email Dean Parkas and your interviewer(s)!!! both gave me amazing feedback and encouraged me to keep in touch, keep them updated through the years and apply after my MCAT. you can get some gold tips for improvements and position yourself for the regular cycle
  2. this is according to my interviewer, sometimes even if you're lacking in an area the initial screeners will give you a benefit of the doubt if you have enough in other areas but you need to make up for deficiencies in the interview
  3. I appeared "more as a scientist than a clinician". this seems to be a common mistake. very often we freshman/sophomores find a research lab and project at the start of college and are strong in this area but our clinical experience is minimal or lacking. I would recommend starting the other way around. get in the clinic and show both yourself and Sinai that you know what a clinician's work is and that you're committed to it
  4. my initial thoughts were accurate, Sinai is valuing service and advocacy a lot more than some online sources and advising services would suggest. This should, in some way, be a focal point of your application if you want to succeed here. both Dean Parkas and my interviewer said that I need to demonstrate my empathy and advocate for some population in the next two years to add to my presentation as a clinician rather than just a scientist.
  5. don't rely on updates. i was rejected because my clinical exposure and service was insufficient. I secured jobs/positions targeting both in February 2021 (as covid cooled down in my state) and sent updates PRIOR to interviews. neither of my interviews asked about either of my new roles, stuck strictly to what was in my original application and likely didn't take them into account for decisions. granted, the caveat here is that they saw my new stuff and still thought that was insufficient, which is totally fair, but I still recommend not to rely on updating Sinai with new positions to pass through all the 'requirements'.
  6. My interview was "solid/strong". Where I failed was in my original application; I simply didn't have enough of what Sinai prides itself on recruiting for. This is my biggest piece of advice. Focus on making sure you have a well rounded application that would be SUITABLE FOR REGULAR CYCLE! Don't try to pass through the screen and think you can save yourself with a great interview afterwards; the original application matters a lot even after interviews since 99% of students will kill the interview. A lot of people I asked before applying told me that the flex factor is the most important and your application should revolve around that. That is what I did. However, I want to change that to something else. Your flex factor should be very solid and defined, but the rest of your application should be as refined and diverse with clinical work, volunteering and advocacy, and some research too, as it would if you were applying regular cycle.
Good luck to each of you!
Should I try it again in the 2021-22 normal application? I have a good MCAT score

Should I try it again in the 2021-22 normal application? I have a good MCAT score
flexmed is only for sophomores without mcat. apply regular cycle

Reactions: 1 user
If a sophomore student is accepted to flexmed and had taken the MCAT during the flexmed application process, are they still eligible to continue via the flexmed program?

If a sophomore student is accepted to flexmed and had taken the MCAT during the flexmed application process, are they still eligible to continue via the flexmed program?
You probably need to check with the school, since they clearly do not contemplate this. They send notifications in March of your sophomore year. The vast majority of med school applicants take the exam in the spring of their junior year, or later, since a majority of matriculants nowadays take at least one gap year.

How much earlier than March of your sophomore year would you want to take it, and why? My suggestion would be to either ask the school, or just plan on taking the test after notifications go out so that this isn't an issue. Once you are accepted, the only reason to take the test would be to explore the possibility of applying out, and that is clearly a no-no, so my sense is that they will frown on you taking the test and participating in the program.

You probably need to check with the school, since they clearly do not contemplate this. They send notifications in March of your sophomore year. The vast majority of med school applicants take the exam in the spring of their junior year, or later, since a majority of matriculants nowadays take at least one gap year.

How much earlier than March of your sophomore year would you want to take it, and why? My suggestion would be to either ask the school, or just plan on taking the test after notifications go out so that this isn't an issue. Once you are accepted, the only reason to take the test would be to explore the possibility of applying out, and that is clearly a no-no, so my sense is that they will frown on you taking the test and participating in the program.
are you applying to flexmed this cycle

Hey everyone! Myself and other applicants accepted during the 2021 cycle have a GroupMe going so if you also got in, pm me and I'll send you the link to join!

are you applying to flexmed this cycle
No. I am a regular applicant. Just trying to be helpful based on what I know about it.

I was never a viable candidate, both based on what they look for, and on not wanting to be restricted from seeing what else is available, which is what the MCAT rule is all about.