This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chimchimv

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I would go ahead and make this year's FlexMed SDN thread since the application is going to open up soon and I haven't seen one for this year!

2014: FlexMed 2014
2015: FlexMed 2015
2016: FlexMed 2016
2017: FlexMed 2017
2018: FlexMed 2018
2019: FlexMed 2019
2020: FlexMed 2020
2021: FlexMed 2021

Good luck to all who are planning on applying this cycle!

August 8, 2021: Here is the GroupMe invite link!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I made a groupme for last years application cycle that was incredibly helpful and active throughout the season. If you want me to link it here for you guys to take over for '22, let me know.

Reactions: 1 user
I made a groupme for last years application cycle that was incredibly helpful and active throughout the season. If you want me to link it here for you guys to take over for '22, let me know.
That'd be great!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm unsure of whether or not I should apply. I have a very strong flex factor and extracurriculars to back it up (1 publication, 1 poster presentation, research with a government branch, leadership, 1500+ hrs of clinical and non-clinical volunteering, and more) but have a 3.53 GPA at my university (all A's and 3 B's), had a 3.96 GPA at my community college (I did dual enrollment during high school and got an Associate's degree, as well as completed general ed classes) and a 4.0 during high school. Would it be worth a shot to apply, or should I just wait until the regular cycle to apply?

I'm unsure of whether or not I should apply. I have a very strong flex factor and extracurriculars to back it up (1 publication, 1 poster presentation, research with a government branch, leadership, 1500+ hrs of clinical and non-clinical volunteering, and more) but have a 3.53 GPA at my university (all A's and 3 B's), had a 3.96 GPA at my community college (I did dual enrollment during high school and got an Associate's degree, as well as completed general ed classes) and a 4.0 during high school. Would it be worth a shot to apply, or should I just wait until the regular cycle to apply?
I could be mistaken but didn't someone somewhere in a previous thread say that they were told to not bother applying if they had multiple grades below an A- ?

apply

The thread seems much less active than previous years

Now that applications are almost due, what are everyone's flex factors?

This year’s thread is so much quieter than in previous years…any idea why? Were there less applicants this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I was admitted through FlexMed in 2020 and I'm set to matriculate this fall (2022). I received my financial aid package and it wasn't great - does anyone have any advice on how (or even if I can) to renegotiate my financial aid?
You've now discovered a significant downside to a program like this. What renegotiation? You have no other acceptances, no other financial aid offers, and, as a result, absolutely no leverage. You received an early acceptance two years ago, and now have a take it or leave it financial aid offer.

You can ask (beg) for more money. Beyond that, your choices are to take what you were offered or take two unplanned gap years and enter the pool with everyone else next year, unless you are in a position to take the MCAT in a few weeks and try to rush an application in this year (not recommended).

Don't feel too terrible. Mt. Sinai is a great school, and you will able to pay off whatever you have to borrow after graduation. Going forward is by far your best option, but, as I said before, begging or pointing out that they missed something is all you can do. You are not in a position to actually negotiate anything, since you have no better option, even if they don't give you a penny in grant money.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the perspective - this is what I suspected and feared when I accepted the offer back in 2020, but it was difficult to turn down the certainty of FlexMed against the unguaranteed potential acceptances & aid offers had I gone through the regular cycle. Now I'm wondering if I made the right decision, but you're right - in the grand scheme of things, it should work out financially, though this financial aid package is going to hurt a bit.

I think I'm going to try asking for more aid, but my initial discussions with the aid office didn't seem very promising. Do you (or anyone else) have advice on how to approach this? I'm from a solidly middle-class family and if my parents stretch they can help me make this work, but they've already put me through college and I feel immensely guilty about putting yet another burden on them.
Not really, because at this point it really is just begging. The problem is that your parents can make it work by stretching while many others can't, so that's the expectation. Many people like you, including people whose parents have a lot more resources, do not receive any parental support at all for grad school. And they are just totally screwed. It's why PLUS loans exist.

As I said before, if you had other options, you could try to leverage them. That works at some schools, with some people, but not with others. Unfortunately, you don't have that, so you can't say "I love Sinai, but that numbers just don't work as compared to, say, Einstein, so can you please find come more money for me?" All you can do is say that your parents are just not in a position to provide the level of support they are calculating, so is there any way they can increase your grant?

They will very likely say no, because that is between you and your parents, and there are loans available to make up any shortfall in your EFC. And then, that's that, because, no, you have nowhere else to go, and spending two years taking the MCAT and rolling the dice in the regular admissions pool is really not a viable option at this point. An unfortunate hidden cost of the guarantee, and probably a big reason they offer the program in the first place, to lock people like you in. Good luck!

How much are they asking you to pay per year and what do you think would be fair?

Thanks for the perspective - this is what I suspected and feared when I accepted the offer back in 2020, but it was difficult to turn down the certainty of FlexMed against the unguaranteed potential acceptances & aid offers had I gone through the regular cycle. Now I'm wondering if I made the right decision, but you're right - in the grand scheme of things, it should work out financially, though this financial aid package is going to hurt a bit.

I think I'm going to try asking for more aid, but my initial discussions with the aid office didn't seem very promising. Do you (or anyone else) have advice on how to approach this? I'm from a solidly middle-class family and if my parents stretch they can help me make this work, but they've already put me through college and I feel immensely guilty about putting yet another burden on them.
Just take the loans it's really not that difficult to pay it back. I know it sounds scary but it's really not.

Is it worth updating adcoms a month before decisions roll out with a conference poster presentation + submitted pub + initiative that was founded? I'd listed the initiative as in development on my original app, but it's now in full swing. The conference and paper are new and were not listed in my original app.

paging @veer_

Is it worth updating adcoms a month before decisions roll out with a conference poster presentation + submitted pub + initiative that was founded? I'd listed the initiative as in development on my original app, but it's now in full swing. The conference and paper are new and were not listed in my original app.

paging @veer_
might not do much but certainly cannot hurt. some places pay more attention to updates than others, but you can totally give it a shot. it can only help.

I messed up my high school gpa my senior year of high school as I focused my attention from school to work after college apps came back. My SAT is also not amazing (1480), as I neglected to take it again given that COVID made it optional for almost every university. My 9-12 HS GPA is a 3.6, however I have a 4.0 college GPA, as well as successful completion of one year of general college chemistry.

My extracurriculars are also not bad, I'm going in to my 2nd year of college as a neurosci major (in accordance to the flexmed program), and I'm set to have about 800 hours worth of research at a university lab (1500 if research during high school is included) by the end of the summer as well as about 250 hours of clinical volunteering, 60 hours of shadowing, 200 hours of non clinical volunteering, 200 hours of tutoring, and multiple leadership roles in various organizations.
I have merged your post to the FlexMed thread as you are only applying to them and not as a traditional applicant. Seems you have solid chances.

I messed up my high school gpa my senior year of high school as I focused my attention from school to work after college apps came back. My SAT is also not amazing (1480), as I neglected to take it again given that COVID made it optional for almost every university. My 9-12 HS GPA is a 3.6, however I have a 4.0 college GPA, as well as successful completion of one year of general college chemistry.

My extracurriculars are also not bad, I'm going in to my 2nd year of college as a neurosci major (in accordance to the flexmed program), and I'm set to have about 800 hours worth of research at a university lab (1500 if research during high school is included) by the end of the summer as well as about 250 hours of clinical volunteering, 60 hours of shadowing, 200 hours of non clinical volunteering, 200 hours of tutoring, and multiple leadership roles in various organizations.
I’m applying this upcoming year also. But I’d ask yourself what makes you special? Talking to students in the program, flexmed isn’t looking for traditional pre meds but pre meds with a special interest they want to use the additional time to focus on. Also what do you consider messing up your gpa? I know someone who applied in the past and was rejected, asked for feedback and they were told that it was because of their high school grades. Either way, I’d still apply since we can’t lose anything by trying!

Has anyone got in contact with admissions and asked when decisions will be released?
I called and it went to answering machine. Last year, it was released on Monday 6/27 around 2.45pm ish.

I honestly want decisions to get over with lol.

Has anyone got in contact with admissions and asked when decisions will be released?
I called and it went to answering machine. Last year, it was released on Monday 6/27 around 2.45pm ish.

I honestly want decisions to get over with lol.
Yeah, multiple people have called but straight to the answering machine. There's discussion on the groupme

someone emailed them and got the response that they will release them around july 1st or soon thereafter. my bet is probably later this week
thank u sm- i guess all we can do now is sit tight ! so probably not tmr or wednesday, i wanted to email but i always get scared to talk to admissions

Was a FlexMed applicant last year and got an interview (albeit did not get in). Feel free to DM me if you have any questions.

Any ideas on how many people they will accept this year ?
Around 35ish last year, but they can accept up to 50% of their med school class as flexmed students (I got this info from a 3rd party video on youtube).

I've noticed the number of admitted flexmed students has fallen since previous years. Not sure if it's due to COVID, previously admitted flexmedders taking gap years, or maybe both!

Hey, just wanted to give some encouraging advice since I believe decisions have come out. Three years ago, I was rejected post II from FlexMed. This past cycle, I was initially deferred before accepted with a full scholarship right before the deadline. While I ended up not matriculating at Icahn, I say all of this to give folks hope if Icahn is their dream school.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.