Flight Pay Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pilotdoc

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm heading to USUHS in a month and have met my operational flight time "gate" for the Army (8 of 12 years in a flying position) that keeps your flight pay coming regardless of whether or not you are in a flying position. I am Medical Service Corps now, which is what I will be in school, without a break in service - so do I still get my flight pay? I spoke to someone in DC and they gave me the usual "huh?" Anyone have any experiences in this situation? Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

That is a great question!! I also made gate... but did take a break in service (six months) and ended up picking the HPSP route over UHUHS. When I spoke w/ my contacts at AV Branch, they said they did not think I would keep the flight pay since I left AV on my own. How is that different from asking for and getting a functional area assignment outside of operational aviation? I don't know. They did admit they really did not know and suggested I speak w/ the MC and/or the MSC branch folks. I'm HPSP and will have to deal w/ branch soon enough about my rank, pay etc upon returning to AD.... I'll throw in the flight pay question as well.... that should make their day!! While I know you will be busy during your first year, maybe you could make a trip down to the Hoffman building and speak w/ the little old lady in tennis shoes who would know the answer to this question.
LK Dawson

I spoke w/ my S-3 buddy a couple of weeks ago. He received his fly pay this whole past year (MS1).

Members don't see this ad :)
Great to hear that SOMEONE got their flight pay at some point in the past. Heed! - any other details you could pass along would be great about your friend and who they spoke with, etc., to keep their flight pay coming. My problem now is who to speak with - I did speak with the lady in tennis shoes in Virginia, she told me to speak with my branch, which is interesting because everyone told me to speak with her. Ahhhh...I don't have much going on for the next month, I figure I will make it my life's mission to find out who and how.

"I spoke w/ my S-3 buddy a couple of weeks ago. He received his fly pay this whole past year (MS1)."

Very Nice!! Pilotdoc, since you won't have a break in service, I'm guessing you should be good to go!! My plight will surely be an uphill battle since all I see right now is a stipend (which would never include flight pay). Good luck at UHUHS.
LK Dawson

Fellow former aviators-
Before med school I ran the flight pay office for the Navy, the go to guy for all Naval aviation flight pay issues.....essentially I was the guy who fielded all the phones calls regarding flight pay (ACIP) and turned it ON or OFF as dictated by policy.

To cut to the chase, the current Navy policy (US Code, Title 17, the federal authorization for flight pay for all services, doesn't speak to what happens when someone redesignates or transfers to a non-flying community so each service must dictate its own policy) yet Navy spefic instruction: Aviation Career Incentive Pay (ACIP) Instruction, BUPERSINST 7220.29A, 17 Jun 2002, states:

"i. Transfer/Redesignation. Aviation officers who accept a lateral transfer into a community not entitled to ACIP will have their ACIP terminated upon the detachment from their current DIFOPS tour or 12 months from the date of acceptance whichever is greater."

Several times during my tour, I talked with a civilian at USUHS who tracked "aviators-turned-MS1s" in order to keep their flight pay on and turning in off at the 12 month point.

Yet, us HPSP folks get jack, as we were discharged. Nor do we get any during our annual training AD periods. Just how it is. I looked into this before I left to go to med school. I miss my flight pay too.

For you Navy guys, give the current ACIP guy a call at DSN 882-3954, COMM (901) 874-3954 or PM me for more info.

The fly pay would be nice. But I'd be happy just to strap on the jet a few more times. :thumbup: