Florida c/o 2017 Applicants!

Started by Emiloo4
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is probably not going to sound helpful at all, but I think the PS should tell the adcoms who you are and how you got here. The diversity essay should tell the adcoms how you're different from everyone else and where you will take the class and the school.

I agree. My personal statement only had a sentence or two about my diversity but the supp essay should be completely focused on diversity. Think of anything and show them how it will benefit the class. Mine was that I bowhunt.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Absolutely. I put bow hunting and singing on mine lol. Know how scary it was to showcase my killing of animals as a positive diversity in a veterinary school? :laugh:
You can find ways to make any of those relevant.
 
Absolutely. I put bow hunting and singing on mine lol. Know how scary it was to showcase my killing of animals as a positive diversity in a veterinary school? :laugh:
You can find ways to make any of those relevant.

Bow hunting? So Em, is your name Katniss Everdeen..
 
I'm not diverse either!! :/ I was an athlete in college but I am not sure how that will benefit the population at UF lol
 
I'm not diverse either!! :/ I was an athlete in college but I am not sure how that will benefit the population at UF lol

Look, I'm a white female from an upper middle-class family who played tennis, rode horses, and was heavily involved in nerdy school stuff. I was basically the poster child for vet school applicants, nothing exciting or special-seeming. However, I looked at my personality, my strengths, what my parents do, the place that I grew up, etc and found stuff to write about. Dig deep.
 
Do they want us to focus on our diversity outside of "animal stuff?" I've got some unique experiences as a dog breeder that I'm writing about, and how that affects my perspective and would be advantageous as a vet. Should I try to find something "deeper?" 😉
 
Do they want us to focus on our diversity outside of "animal stuff?" I've got some unique experiences as a dog breeder that I'm writing about, and how that affects my perspective and would be advantageous as a vet. Should I try to find something "deeper?" 😉

I remember we talked about the breeding thing before, and I think it would be a great diversity to bring up. Especially the way you are presenting it! 👍
 
Do they want us to focus on our diversity outside of "animal stuff?" I've got some unique experiences as a dog breeder that I'm writing about, and how that affects my perspective and would be advantageous as a vet. Should I try to find something "deeper?" 😉

I was just saying that for people who can't seem to think of anything that makes them diverse. If you've got something cool and unique about you and what you do, write about it!
 
I agree. My personal statement only had a sentence or two about my diversity but the supp essay should be completely focused on diversity. Think of anything and show them how it will benefit the class. Mine was that I bowhunt.

Bow hunting? So Em, is your name Katniss Everdeen..
I don't hunt, but I can shoot a bow very well. 😀 That's something we sort of have in common. The fact that she was an archer was one thing I really liked about Katniss. I've never been called Katniss, but I have been called Robin Hood. 😛

Fortunately for me, my experiences are very unique and diverse. Is anyone in any clubs that you could talk about in your essay? Or have you taken any unique classes?
 
I don't hunt, but I can shoot a bow very well. 😀 That's something we sort of have in common. The fact that she was an archer was one thing I really liked about Katniss. I've never been called Katniss, but I have been called Robin Hood. 😛

Fortunately for me, my experiences are very unique and diverse. Is anyone in any clubs that you could talk about in your essay? Or have you taken any unique classes?

First, let me just say that I love the Hunger Games and, although sometimes she bothers me, Katniss =)

When I started UG, I got super involved with raising blind guide dogs. My school actually let us have a club where we could keep them in university housing and he went to all of my classes with me, etc. I raised two dogs and the experience was life changing. It's one of the main reasons why I'm strongly considering a specialty in animal behavior.

As for classes. One class we had offered to us was a class to get AI certified. I couldn't get in (super competitive obviously) but students spent one weekend over spring break to get certified. I feel like that's super cool!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First, let me just say that I love the Hunger Games and, although sometimes she bothers me, Katniss =)

When I started UG, I got super involved with raising blind guide dogs. My school actually let us have a club where we could keep them in university housing and he went to all of my classes with me, etc. I raised two dogs and the experience was life changing. It's one of the main reasons why I'm strongly considering a specialty in animal behavior.

As for classes. One class we had offered to us was a class to get AI certified. I couldn't get in (super competitive obviously) but students spent one weekend over spring break to get certified. I feel like that's super cool!!
Those are both things that add to diversity! 🙂 The guide dog thing is really neat!

Katniss does bother me sometimes, too. 🙄 I did enjoy the Hunger Games, though!
 
First, let me just say that I love the Hunger Games and, although sometimes she bothers me, Katniss =)

When I started UG, I got super involved with raising blind guide dogs. My school actually let us have a club where we could keep them in university housing and he went to all of my classes with me, etc. I raised two dogs and the experience was life changing. It's one of the main reasons why I'm strongly considering a specialty in animal behavior.

As for classes. One class we had offered to us was a class to get AI certified. I couldn't get in (super competitive obviously) but students spent one weekend over spring break to get certified. I feel like that's super cool!!

I'm guessing that those are guide dogs trained to help the blind...not dogs that are blind leading people around. That would be interesting.
 
Lol sorry! I know that the "common term" is seeing eye dogs. But I've learned that the only TRUE seeing eye dogs are dogs from The Seeing Eye, Inc. in Morristown, NJ. So when I talk about the dogs in general, I say either guide dog or blind guide dog as to not offend anyone with a dog from that specific school =)
 
Can anyone confirm that we do *not* need the Writing portion of the GRE? I remember seeing this somewhere in the past and the UF website lists Quantitative and Verbal scores as academic criteria, but has no mention of the writing portion. I would love to be able to just skip over that part on test day as one less stress!

Thanks!!
 
I'm pretty sure as well but I would never skip over something like that until you've personally confirmed it with someone in admissions. :scared:

Yeah, I thought I might e-mail them just to double check. That would definitely suck! 😛

On a positive note I just finished a GRE practice test and was pleasantly surprised with my scores...yay!
 
My pre-vet advisor (who is on UF's admissions committee) said it's the highest scoring class academically they've had in ~10 years. So 👍 to you, Emiloo for getting in! 🙂

Just out of curiosity, is this Dr. B or someone else?


How many people have finished the supplemental essay? I haven't started 😳 Just finishing up on my personal statement and VMCAS stuff before I head down that road!
 
My pre-vet advisor (who is on UF's admissions committee) said it's the highest scoring class academically they've had in ~10 years. So 👍 to you, Emiloo for getting in! 🙂

Thanks 🙂. I know when I was applying I looked at statistics like this rather excessively lol, so I thought it might help some people like me. 👍
Are you getting everything underway for this cycle?!
 
Tegan, yep that's Dr. B. He was extremely helpful for me getting everything in line for my app. I'm almost finished with the supplemental essay... just need to tweak it some.
 
Just out of curiosity, is this Dr. B or someone else?


How many people have finished the supplemental essay? I haven't started 😳 Just finishing up on my personal statement and VMCAS stuff before I head down that road!

I just finished my essay last week, but I haven't sent it off yet. I should be mailing my stuff tomorrow or on Tuesday. I'm sending it from Illinois so I don't want to take any chances with the deadline.

Thanks for the stats Emiloo! I'm getting so antsy! I just want to fast forward past all of this waiting and anxiety!
 
I just finished my essay last week, but I haven't sent it off yet. I should be mailing my stuff tomorrow or on Tuesday. I'm sending it from Illinois so I don't want to take any chances with the deadline.

Thanks for the stats Emiloo! I'm getting so antsy! I just want to fast forward past all of this waiting and anxiety!

👍

Yeah, you um... might want to be prepared to hurry up and wait, bc the hard part hasn't even STARTED yet! Wait till December-March when you want to rip your hair out!!! :poke:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know about LORs for UF? I thought I remember hearing that they only want to/will look at 3, and don't like seeing extra ones. Anyone know if this is accurate?

I have 2 vet and 1 prof already, I'm trying to decide if I should ask my research PI to write one as well.
 
How is everyone doing the supplemental essay? Are you typing on a separate page and attaching to the prompt page, or just copying and pasting the prompt onto a word document?
 
For the essay I saved the prompt as a pdf and opened it in Adobe Reader. Then I wrote my essay in Word. I then hit the add text button in Adobe and pasted my essay there. It requires some editing with margins and whatnot so it probably isn't the easiest way to go about it. I haven't printed it out yet either so for all I know it may look like crap once I'm done haha. If anyone else has an easier way then I'm all ears!
 
For the essay I saved the prompt as a pdf and opened it in Adobe Reader. Then I wrote my essay in Word. I then hit the add text button in Adobe and pasted my essay there. It requires some editing with margins and whatnot so it probably isn't the easiest way to go about it. I haven't printed it out yet either so for all I know it may look like crap once I'm done haha. If anyone else has an easier way then I'm all ears!

I didn't know how to do this! I just copied the prompt into a word document and tried to format it about the same as it is in the pdf. I'm going to print both of them next to each other and make sure font size is the same and whatnot, but that's the best way I figured out.
 
I didn't know how to do this! I just copied the prompt into a word document and tried to format it about the same as it is in the pdf. I'm going to print both of them next to each other and make sure font size is the same and whatnot, but that's the best way I figured out.

I used a website like pdffiller.com (there are others). You just upload the document and type and do many other things too. It even saves it for you if you have an account!

I just sent in my supplemental documents today! 🙂
 
I used a website like pdffiller.com (there are others). You just upload the document and type and do many other things too. It even saves it for you if you have an account!

I just sent in my supplemental documents today! 🙂

Oh wow I'm definitely going to try this out! Thanks! And Tegan05 let me know how yours came out! I hope it worked!
 
I'm sorry if someone has already asked this question but I wasn't able to find it anywhere. This is probably a stupid question but for the picture we have to include in the supplemental can I just take a picture and make it a 2x2 or do I actually have to go and get a passport picture taken?
 
Here are the newly released statistics for the UF CVM Class of 2016 if anyone is interested.

:luck:
I'm back!!! 😀 It's been how many weeks since my last post?

Anyway, I'll be finishing up everything for the Florida this weekend. Thanks for posting the stats, Emiloo! That helps confirm my choice!
 
I'm helping out at interviews this year 😀😀 so I better see your shining faces! 👍
 
I hope you will! Mine along with my friend's! 😉

Nice avatar by the way!

:xf:
Thanks 😀. I'm actually on my way to artificially inseminate one in half an hour. I got chosen as 1 of 6 people and everyone is all mad at me... :meanie:
SOOO excited!
 
:xf:
Thanks 😀. I'm actually on my way to artificially inseminate one in half an hour. I got chosen as 1 of 6 people and everyone is all mad at me... :meanie:
SOOO excited!
Awesome! That's soooo cool! I've been working with sheep lately. 🙄
 
I'm sorry if someone has already asked this question but I wasn't able to find it anywhere. This is probably a stupid question but for the picture we have to include in the supplemental can I just take a picture and make it a 2x2 or do I actually have to go and get a passport picture taken?

I took my own picture and printed out wallets. I had to send one to Auburn too, and I'm not about to go spend 10 bucks just to get it taken when I can do it myself for $1.

Just mailed off my supplemental stuff today. Woo!!

To address something mentioned earlier: I printed out the essay prompt on a sheet of paper a long time ago. When I went to print out my essay, I just started the essay about three inches down and placed the previously printed prompt in my printer so that the essay would print below the prompt. Piece of cake.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took my own picture and printed out wallets. I had to send one to Auburn too, and I'm not about to go spend 10 bucks just to get it taken when I can do it myself for $1.

Just mailed off my supplemental stuff today. Woo!!

To address something mentioned earlier: I printed out the essay prompt on a sheet of paper a long time ago. When I went to print out my essay, I just started the essay about three inches down and placed the previously printed prompt in my printer so that the essay would print below the prompt. Piece of cake.

Oh my god you're a genius! That's such a great idea! And yea I think I'm going to just print my own too! Thanks for the help!
 
Is the supplemental new this year? I don't recall having any issues with copying and pasting or whatever. Spoke with Lynette today, she's gotten lots of apps already. Very exciting time everyone!!! Can't wait to hear good news!!
Edit: PLEASE don't start stressing that there are apps in already... That was not my intention by mentioning that. I submitted mine the last day and here I am.
 
I hope this isn't a dumb question, but when is the VMCAS due to UF? One of my friends just told me he thought it was due Sept 24th with the secondary and now I'm freaking out because one of my letters isn't in yet. 🙁