Florida c/o 2017 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait. I just heard the 24th is the VMCAS deadline this year :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

For UF?! It's October 2nd for everyone else. I'm just not sure whether UF expects the VMCAS deadline to be the 24th with the secondary. I emailed Lynnette Chaparro...

VMCAS says that it's still the 2nd. GAH!

As far as the 24th being the due date, this is what the admissions site says:

After completing and paying for the Vet Med Professional Application, three documents must be downloaded and completed.

Inventory of Applicant Pre-Requisite Courses
University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine – Applicant Essay
Applicant Information Sheet
The deadline to submit these three documents is September 24, 2012.

found here: http://education.vetmed.ufl.edu/admissions/application/

So I'm assuming that they want those things by the 24, vmcas by the same date as everyone else.

***Don't forget to account for any problems when submitting your VMCAS. I mean, don't wait until the last minute just in case there is a system error. :) I've heard horror stories

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! :) That's what I was hoping!

I've heard those stories too...I'm aiming for ASAP :)

me too! my goal is to have mine in by next weekend. we'll see! :rolleyes:

Just for the record...Lynnette Chaparro confirmed that VMCAS for UF is due Oct 2nd.
In case I freaked anyone out who is just as crazy as I am. :)

How is everyone doing the supplemental essay? Are you typing on a separate page and attaching to the prompt page, or just copying and pasting the prompt onto a word document?

I just finished mine and I am SO HAPPY with it. It started off slow but then it just clicked and I got it :) I wrote about being a teen mom and still earning my degree by 22, briefly about being a first generation college student, and my interest in zoological medicine. All things I think that make me diverse :) I just copied it into word and then typed my part.

27/M IS first time applicant... UF is my #1... working on my supplemental essay now - started off kinda strong (maybe too strong? lol I'll re-evaluate once I'm all done...)

I hope to mail my supplemental by tomorrow at 5pm... then revise my PS and optional statement for VMCAS until all my letters are in..

I have 5 letters... Veterinary Radiologist DACVR, DVM, Orgo professor, chem professor, and Dean of Undergraduate Education for my undergrad institution... They don't have to read all of them, so I hope nobody gets mad that I have 5 - just trying to cover all of my bases.

27/M IS first time applicant... UF is my #1... working on my supplemental essay now - started off kinda strong (maybe too strong? lol I'll re-evaluate once I'm all done...)

I hope to mail my supplemental by tomorrow at 5pm... then revise my PS and optional statement for VMCAS until all my letters are in..

I have 5 letters... Veterinary Radiologist DACVR, DVM, Orgo professor, chem professor, and Dean of Undergraduate Education for my undergrad institution... They don't have to read all of them, so I hope nobody gets mad that I have 5 - just trying to cover all of my bases.

Make sure they are five awesome ones. It's better to have three amazing letters, than 5 good ones. Especially when you go against their request for only 3.

Make sure they are five awesome ones. It's better to have three amazing letters, than 5 good ones. Especially when you go against their request for only 3.

The problem that I am facing is that some schools require specific people to write their letter but I felt I would get better letters from people who have known me longer so I got letters from the specific three and then two others... Could it really hurt me?

The problem that I am facing is that some schools require specific people to write their letter but I felt I would get better letters from people who have known me longer so I got letters from the specific three and then two others... Could it really hurt me?

I had the same problem with multiple school applications. My short answer... it can hurt you if they aren't all good. I had to submit 5 to suffice all the schools I applied to, and I'm sitting in class at UF CVM as we speak :D So I'm not trying to say you'll never get in with 5, just make sure they are strong.

Oh I'm digging the Nole love on here! I'm trying UF for the second time this year. I certainly hope my luck improves.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's 100% official. I'm applying to UF! My essay and other forms have been mailed out, and everything else is in besides the VMCAS! :D

I submitted UF's supplemental essay, and got an eLOR in today. Now only one more eLOR and I'll be done. *YIKES*

It's just now starting to feel real! I submitted my supplemental today and already I wish I could have my essay back to edit it one more time...

Thanks! I'm so excited! :D

I submitted UF's supplemental essay, and got an eLOR in today. Now only one more eLOR and I'll be done. *YIKES*
Congrats! None of my eLORs have turned theirs in yet even though I added most of them a long time ago, but I trust that they all will. You're lucky to have yours almost all in already. :)

It's just now starting to feel real! I submitted my supplemental today and already I wish I could have my essay back to edit it one more time...
I mailed mine yesterday, and I hope it gets there on time. I was promised it would, but it still makes me nervous. I wish I would have had time to write my essay weeks ago.

Has your supplemental been updated to show that the 3 mailed parts were completed? I sent mine Sept 2nd (20+ days ago) and it still says pending :(.

Has your supplemental been updated to show that the 3 mailed parts were completed? I sent mine Sept 2nd (20+ days ago) and it still says pending :(.

Wow! I mailed mine in two weeks ago(ish), and my status shows that they were received. Mailed from Illinois! I bet they're getting a crazy amount in though so they probably haven't gotten to all of them yet.

Wow! I mailed mine in two weeks ago(ish), and my status shows that they were received. Mailed from Illinois! I bet they're getting a crazy amount in though so they probably haven't gotten to all of them yet.

As of September 14th, I think the count was 580 something. :eek:

The good news is they give you time after the deadline if yours didn't get there for some reason, so don't freak out too much. I called last year to make sure they got everything and they said they weren't letting anyone know until after October 2nd. I asked if they held it against you if something didn't come in and she assured me it wouldn't.

Holy smokes!!! I expected there to be lots of competition! eeek!

Yeah, and that was a few weeks before the deadline (when most people submit). She pretty much made it seem like it was the most apps they had ever received by that date. Y'all got this!!! Can't wait to meet everyone in February as your tour guide !!! :D:D:D

Mine took a few weeks to update. Well, the transcript and GRE scores at least. I'm sure they are swamped with tons of mail.

Does anybody know when UF starts looking at applications? I know they're planning on doing early interviews in November.

My BF (UF CVM 2013) mentioned this morning for me to submit VMCAS now, since they've got to start looking at the VMCAS apps as soon as they're submitted (because otherwise "they wouldn't be organized enough to do Nov interviews")? I always thought that it's not like med school and as long as you're submitted by the deadline then you're chances are the same. Has anybody heard this?

FWIW, my BF isn't involved in admissions or anything like that, it was just his assumption... but I'm having a panic attack. :scared:

Where does it say that UF specifically requests only 3 LOR?

I was told by Lynnette and the head pre-vet advisor (who's also on the adcom) that they strongly prefer 3 or 4, and if you give them more than that - chances are they won't really be looked at.

Does anybody know when UF starts looking at applications? I know they're planning on doing early interviews in November.

My BF (UF CVM 2013) mentioned this morning for me to submit VMCAS now, since they've got to start looking at the VMCAS apps as soon as they're submitted (because otherwise "they wouldn't be organized enough to do Nov interviews")? I always thought that it's not like med school and as long as you're submitted by the deadline then you're chances are the same. Has anybody heard this?

FWIW, my BF isn't involved in admissions or anything like that, it was just his assumption... but I'm having a panic attack. :scared:
I've always heard that your chances are the same as everyone else's as long as your VMCAS is in by the deadline. The VMCAS is due in less than a week, so I don't see why one more week would make much of a difference, especially since they already have a good bit of information on each of us from the supplemental stuff to go through. Emiloo, do you have anything to say on this?

I've always heard that your chances are the same as everyone else's as long as your VMCAS is in by the deadline. The VMCAS is due in less than a week, so I don't see why one more week would make much of a difference, especially since they already have a good bit of information on each of us from the supplemental stuff to go through. Emiloo, do you have anything to say on this?

They may start looking at them, but it's only for their sake to get ahead. Applicants aren't favored for getting them in early. They don't have a pile of "early submitters" that they keep track of throughout the 700 or so applying. It won't hurt you at all, but it won't help you. I submitted mine the day it was due.
The November interviews are mostly for OOS applicants with awesome stats, so you either make that interview or you don't. It shouldn't depend on when your app gets in.

Thanks, Emiloo! It was a little too close to the deadline for me to hear otherwise without having a heart attack. haha

Wow, 580 applicants so far is intimidating. This is my third time applying to UF (interviewed twice) and the competition has increased so much every time... Submitted my VMCAS application last weekend so the nail biting has started again for me. Hopefully this is my year!:xf: Good luck to everyone else :)

Any idea how long it takes UF to process your VMCAS once it's been mailed? Translation: Once the app shows as "mailed" on VMCAS, how long until the UF professional application page updates to show VMCAS App "complete."

Any idea how long it takes UF to process your VMCAS once it's been mailed? Translation: Once the app shows as "mailed" on VMCAS, how long until the UF professional application page updates to show VMCAS App "complete."

Unfortunately, it might be awhile. They haven't even updated to show that they've received my GRE scores... which were sent July 18. But they did update to say they had received my essay/picture packet which was sent early september... I think it just depends. :(

19/F in state student here :) I'm graduating from UCF next semester, so I hope I get into vet school this year!
Lynnette has been very helpful over the phone, especially with my UF transcript (from transient classes) refusing to be delivered... She told me they'd definitely give me time to get it in, as long as I was still trying. This is the third time I've sent it, so I hope it gets there this time!
Good luck to everyone applying :)

I think I'm going crazy. I've been trying to log-on to my account to see if the status of my VMCAS has finally been updated, but I haven't been able to log-in. It keeps saying my password is incorrect, but I'm 95% sure it's right. I tried everything, and the password reset question isn't working for me either. I've been on plenty of times before yesterday without a problem. :scared:

I think I'm going crazy. I've been trying to log-on to my account to see if the status of my VMCAS has finally been updated, but I haven't been able to log-in. It keeps saying my password is incorrect, but I'm 95% sure it's right. I tried everything, and the password reset question isn't working for me either. I've been on plenty of times before yesterday without a problem. :scared:

You should try emailing or calling Ms. Chaparro. I had a problem logging in at the start of the application cycle and she was more than willing to help me when I called her. Try not to be too concerned about checking the status of your VMCAS application...as long as you submitted it by the deadline they will get it for sure, and if they have problems they will let you know.

I had a problem with my password as well, but it ended up working after multiple frantic attempts. The UF internet programs are TERRIBLE. And, FWIW, I submitted my VMCAS on Saturday night before the deadline, and it's just showing up as "received" today.

Good luck!

You should try emailing or calling Ms. Chaparro. I had a problem logging in at the start of the application cycle and she was more than willing to help me when I called her. Try not to be too concerned about checking the status of your VMCAS application...as long as you submitted it by the deadline they will get it for sure, and if they have problems they will let you know.

I had a problem with my password as well, but it ended up working after multiple frantic attempts. The UF internet programs are TERRIBLE. And, FWIW, I submitted my VMCAS on Saturday night before the deadline, and it's just showing up as "received" today.

Good luck!
I know they have my VMCAS, but I want to keep checking until it shows up as received. I sent mine in Saturday as well, so I'm assuming it's complete now. I might have to call or e-mail if I keep having trouble logging in though.

Update: I feel so stupid right now. I just realized why I couldn't access my account. I mixed up my passwords for the UF and CSU supplemental applications. :laugh: I had the right password, but wrong site. That explains why I couldn't log into CSU either earlier today.

Last edited:
I know they have my VMCAS, but I want to keep checking until it shows up as received. I sent mine in Saturday as well, so I'm assuming it's complete now. I might have to call or e-mail if I keep having trouble logging in though.

Update: I feel so stupid right now. I just realized why I couldn't access my account. I mixed up my passwords for the UF and CSU supplemental applications. :laugh: I had the right password, but wrong site. That explains why I couldn't log into CSU either earlier today.

I'm glad you figured it out!!! My status changed to complete this evening too! My GRE is still pending though... :scared: come on Florida, I sent that stuff in July!

I'm glad you figured it out!!! My status changed to complete this evening too! My GRE is still pending though... :scared: come on Florida, I sent that stuff in July!
Everything is complete for me now, and I sent my GRE score reports at the beginning of September. I would call if you are really worried, but I'm sure they still have a ton of materials to sort through. They may just not have gotten to you yet, but then again, their website says it should only take them 5 business days (or longer if supplemental was submitted at the end of September).

http://education.vetmed.ufl.edu/201...ts-regarding-the-uf-professional-application/

Hmm... I think I'm going to give them a week to get my gre matched up with the other pieces of my application. But then full on bugging will be commenced. I hope "Pending" just means they have acknowledged it but are just going through the alphabet first. We'll see!

Everyone relax. Your application won't be compromised if something isn't in. I promise. :)

Hmm... I think I'm going to give them a week to get my gre matched up with the other pieces of my application. But then full on bugging will be commenced. I hope "Pending" just means they have acknowledged it but are just going through the alphabet first. We'll see!

GRE still pending... :( I didn't end up calling. I'm just going to wait it out, as hard as that is.

GRE still pending... :( I didn't end up calling. I'm just going to wait it out, as hard as that is.
I would call. My GRE was received. I've already had to contact one school about missing stuff, so call just to be safe.

I wish we could know how many IS and OOS people applied this year! That way we could see our chances haha At least one part of our chances.... This needs to go faster! :mad:

I wish we could know how many IS and OOS people applied this year! That way we could see our chances haha At least one part of our chances.... This needs to go faster! :mad:

You can scroll back on this thread a page or two and look at last year's stats (my class) that I posted a link to. They won't be exactly the same, but there usually isn't a huge difference year to year. But it's not gonna be much help with what your chances are lol.

You can scroll back on this thread a page or two and look at last year's stats (my class) that I posted a link to. They won't be exactly the same, but there usually isn't a huge difference year to year. But it's not gonna be much help with what your chances are lol.

Unless you're Ohio who got an extra 800 OOS applications this year :p