-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Florida c/o 2017 Applicants!
Started by Emiloo4
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I know realistically that more interview invites will go out...but it sure would have been nice to get an early one.
My thoughts exactly.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know realistically that more interview invites will go out...but it sure would have been nice to get an early one.
I cannot believe I am putting myself through this again...ugh...this will be a long winter ...🙁
This. Is. How. I. Feel.
I'm really trying not to get bummed out by the Official Interview thread and Florida's OOS invites. I know that my stats aren't the best and that I wouldn't merit an early invite, but I still wish/hope/yearn for that invite. I know Emiloo is discouraging this, but it's hard not to... I keep getting worried that I'm going to have to do this mess over again. Ugh, that would suck so bad.
I'm just hoping to get anything, any kind of invite. I don't care if its the last wave as long as I'm in the waves.
But I hear that UF likes wildlife and Illinois people, so here's hoping!!!

This. Is. How. I. Feel.
I'm really trying not to get bummed out by the Official Interview thread and Florida's OOS invites. I know that my stats aren't the best and that I wouldn't merit an early invite, but I still wish/hope/yearn for that invite. I know Emiloo is discouraging this, but it's hard not to... I keep getting worried that I'm going to have to do this mess over again. Ugh, that would suck so bad.
I'm just hoping to get anything, any kind of invite. I don't care if its the last wave as long as I'm in the waves.
But I hear that UF likes wildlife and Illinois people, so here's hoping!!!![]()
![]()
![]()
Exactly. I am just starting to have the feelings of "I should have applied to more schools". I am a second time applicant, applied to four schools that I had stats to get into, I liked something about the program, and it was within a "reasonable" distance from my family in NC (excluding Kansas). I had thought about applying to international schools, Western, maybe even Ross and did not because I convinced myself that my stats (which are slightly above average for OOS spots and well above average for IS) and my expeirence (which I have a ton of) are good enough to get into one of the ones I applied too. I just hope I do not end up regreting my decision and think that I should have applied to more or taken more of a chance and applied to everywhere.
UF if my 3rd choice, but its WELL before Kansas (simply because I do not to live that far away from NC while being a poor vet student and never being able to afford to come home)...but when you only have 4 choices, 3rd spot can be pretty important 🙁
I know I am not the only person that feels this way so I will STAY POSITIVE!
:::checks inbox::::
This. Is. How. I. Feel.
I'm really trying not to get bummed out by the Official Interview thread and Florida's OOS invites. I know that my stats aren't the best and that I wouldn't merit an early invite, but I still wish/hope/yearn for that invite. I know Emiloo is discouraging this, but it's hard not to... I keep getting worried that I'm going to have to do this mess over again. Ugh, that would suck so bad.
I'm just hoping to get anything, any kind of invite. I don't care if its the last wave as long as I'm in the waves.
But I hear that UF likes wildlife and Illinois people, so here's hoping!!!![]()
![]()
![]()
Exactly. I am just starting to have the feelings of "I should have applied to more schools". I am a second time applicant, applied to four schools that I had stats to get into, I liked something about the program, and it was within a "reasonable" distance from my family in NC (excluding Kansas). I had thought about applying to international schools, Western, maybe even Ross and did not because I convinced myself that my stats (which are slightly above average for OOS spots and well above average for IS) and my expeirence (which I have a ton of) are good enough to get into one of the ones I applied too. I just hope I do not end up regreting my decision and think that I should have applied to more or taken more of a chance and applied to everywhere.
UF if my 3rd choice, but its WELL before Kansas (simply because I do not to live that far away from NC while being a poor vet student and never being able to afford to come home)...but when you only have 4 choices, 3rd spot can be pretty important 🙁
I know I am not the only person that feels this way so I will STAY POSITIVE!
:::checks inbox::::
Ok, so I would be a complete hypocrite if I told you not to worry and not to stress and everything will work out just fine, because I was the exact opposite of that last year. And I know it's easy for me to sit here and tell you to relax since I'm already here, but that's exactly what I'm gonna tell you do to

I spoke with admissions about this a few weeks ago, and this is still a new process that they are trying out. So it is sort of a test with only a few subjects. 25 IS and I'm not sure how many OOS. But their main interviews where the large majority of people are invited are in February. THEN you are allowed to feel panicked and worried 😉, but not until then. I, along with 90% of my classmates interviewed in February. Most early interviewers have pretty high numbers, so please please don't count yourselves out yet. You have March for that 😉😛
Hopefully having a little bit of knowledge about the process will help ease your mind. If not, stress away
😀Hello,
I just received an invitation to interview at UF. Any advice from current students? What will they ask me? How much do I need to know about the veterinary profession? Anything other helpful info?
Thanks!
-Amelia
Congrats.
They will ask you the questions posted on the interview feedback here on SDN.
One person will have seen your application, one will be blind, and one will be a 4th year student.
They will ask you ethics questions, hypothetical situation questions, questions about yourself, and questions about your application (the one person who's seen it). It is an hour long interview (at least the regular interviews are) and very personable. They truly want to get to know you and see if you are a good fit for the profession.
I'm not sure what you mean by how much you need to know about the profession, but I would hope if you are applying, that you know a decent amount about it. They want to make sure you don't think veterinary medicine is about petting little fluffy kitties and that you understand the different aspects of it. If you are talking about technical, medical things then beyond basic knowledge don't worry about it. That's why you got to vet school, to learn all that. But as far as the profession itself, you should know what you're getting into for sure. And they will ask you questions to make sure you don't have wool over your eyes.
I, along with 90% of my classmates interviewed in February. Most early interviewers have pretty high numbers, so please please don't count yourselves out yet. You have March for that 😉😛
Hopefully having a little bit of knowledge about the process will help ease your mind. If not, stress away😀
Thanks, Emiloo!! Feeling less stressed... well a bit less worrisome I should say. UF might be one of my top schools, but it is also one of the least attainable schools I applied to. 25 OOS students doesn't really give me much hope. But, as JoAnna said, I gotta stay positive!
Worrywarts unite! 🙄
Congrats to all those getting invitations!!!
Thanks, Emiloo!! Feeling less stressed... well a bit less worrisome I should say. UF might be one of my top schools, but it is also one of the least attainable schools I applied to. 25 OOS students doesn't really give me much hope. But, as JoAnna said, I gotta stay positive!
Worrywarts unite! 🙄
Congrats to all those getting invitations!!!
Well when you look at the website it says that a lot more than 25 were invited...so I took this as they made offers to quite a few oos people and them went through a waitlist. For instance, in C/O 2016 96 OOS people were "invited" but 73 "denied" so that left the final class of 23...this is just my optimistic way of looking at it! In 2015 there were not nealry as many offers though...but still...I try to look at numbers "invited" versus the final class because I know TONS (and I literally mean TONS) of people that ended up at their top schools off of a waitlist for OOS. This is how I determined FL a good school to apply for...they give out a decent number of interviews and invites....
If I am wrong about all of this then at this point I would rather not even know lol.
And who doesnt love Florida?
🙂🙂
Me... mid August![]()
I actually lived in Florida for 5 months (Jan-Jun) and was miserable by literally March...the heat is unbearable...
Aside from feeling like I was on the surface of the sun though, I loved it 🙂 Probably those annual passes to Disney helped though...🙂
Well when you look at the website it says that a lot more than 25 were invited...so I took this as they made offers to quite a few oos people and them went through a waitlist. For instance, in C/O 2016 96 OOS people were "invited" but 73 "denied" so that left the final class of 23...this is just my optimistic way of looking at it! In 2015 there were not nealry as many offers though...but still...I try to look at numbers "invited" versus the final class because I know TONS (and I literally mean TONS) of people that ended up at their top schools off of a waitlist for OOS. This is how I determined FL a good school to apply for...they give out a decent number of interviews and invites....
If I am wrong about all of this then at this point I would rather not even know lol.
And who doesnt love Florida?
🙂🙂
25 spots, that's not how many people are invited. Last year, all the OOS who were interviewed were either accepted or waitlisted. The reason for this is that they didn't want to reject someone to have to accept them later.
I was throwing the number 25 OOS spots out there because of past years typically had that many OOS applicants being accepted. With that said, knowing they pulled from wait lists makes me feel better. I know that with my stats, I most likely won't make the top 30-50 cut as far as best OOS applicants go, but we'll see. 

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So with this new early interview system, does that mean early-interviewed applicants also receive their decisions sooner?
So with this new early interview system, does that mean early-interviewed applicants also receive their decisions sooner?
Yep. 👍
Any inside info on when theyre sending out the next wave of invites??? 😉Yep. 👍
Any inside info on when theyre sending out the next wave of invites??? 😉
Probably not until the mid-end of January.
Early interviews are a limited number of people so now it's just the regular interview pool. I think I found out January 20somethingth.
UF is definitely in my top 3!!
I was offered an early admissions interview... any tips? I don't want to mess this one up haha.
I want to study large animal medicine, and possibly go into theriogenology... am I applying to the right school for that?
I was offered an early admissions interview... any tips? I don't want to mess this one up haha.
I want to study large animal medicine, and possibly go into theriogenology... am I applying to the right school for that?
UF is definitely in my top 3!!
I was offered an early admissions interview... any tips? I don't want to mess this one up haha.
I want to study large animal medicine, and possibly go into theriogenology... am I applying to the right school for that?
Absolutely. My friend has a masters in therio and is a junior at the CVM now and our equine therio program is fantastic!!! Take a look above in this thread about my suggestions for interviews.

When is your interview? I'm one of the people helping to house interviewers.
UF is my top choice in America, I really hope I get a chance to interview! A little bummed that I may have to wait until Jan... 🙁
Don't be bummed. That's when the majority interviews.
I have an interview scheduled for next week - what should I expect? How should I prepare?
Read above to a previous post of mine explaining this.
Don't be bummed. That's when the majority interviews.
Thanks! I'm going to stay positive and let the holidays distract me from the waiting game!
I'm a new member and I couldn't locate the interview feedback page. I interviewed early and I wanted to a) see how my questions compared to others in the past and b) post some of my questions for people interviewing in February.Congrats to everyone accepted so far![]()
I got the "at this time I am not yet able to invite you to be a member of the Class of 2017" email this morning and, even though they say they'll do a full application review in January and let me know after regular interviews, I'm feeling like they may as well have rejected me. Do you have any idea how many of the people that interviewed Saturday got in (and congrats to y'all!!!) and the chances of them overlooking my (obviously deficient) interview for my numbers, personal statement, and LORs?
I'm a new member and I couldn't locate the interview feedback page. I interviewed early and I wanted to a) see how my questions compared to others in the past and b) post some of my questions for people interviewing in February.
I got the "at this time I am not yet able to invite you to be a member of the Class of 2017" email this morning and, even though they say they'll do a full application review in January and let me know after regular interviews, I'm feeling like they may as well have rejected me. Do you have any idea how many of the people that interviewed Saturday got in (and congrats to y'all!!!) and the chances of them overlooking my (obviously deficient) interview for my numbers, personal statement, and LORs?
I don't have exact numbers I just wanted to give my opinion...I would say that based on the fact you got an early interview (pretty impressive)...that they were obviously impressed with your stats. Just because you werent offered a spot "yet" does not mean that your name/application will not come up later. Keep your head up, you should be very excited that you had an early interview! Im jealous!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So were more interview invites sent out after the end of oct?? I saw someone say they were interviewing this weekend & I thought early interviews were weeks ago...
Early interview options were spread out through November and into this week. Mine is tomorrow, and my friend has one Dec 7th. Then, they will be over.
Early interview options were spread out through November and into this week. Mine is tomorrow, and my friend has one Dec 7th. Then, they will be over.
Good luck!
UFCVM Admissions Update 12/07/2012
Published: December 7th, 2012
Category: Admissions
The University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine conducted early interviews from Saturday, November 17th to Friday, December 7, 2012. Sixty-two applicants (including in-state and out-of-state residents) were able to visit the college and enjoy tours, shadowing in the hospitals, and meeting with faculty, staff, and students. Early Interviews once again received rave reviews from candidates and we hope to continue the process for the fall 2013 admissions cycle. More information regarding the Early Interview process will be posted on the website when the application cycle begins again in June 2013.
The remaining UFCVM interviews will be held on Saturday, February 2nd and Saturday, February 9, 2012. Eligible candidates will be notified via email in mid-to-late January if they receive an interview offer. We estimate that between 170-180 applicants (including both in-state and out-of-state residents) will be invited for the spring 2013 interviews.
Those candidates that are not selected for interview will be notified in two batches in late-December and mid-to-late January.
If you have any questions about the admissions process, please contact the Office for Students and Instruction by phone at 352-294-4244 or by email at [email protected]
this was on the website...just thought I would share...does anyone know how many applicants there were this year? Maybe someone has emailed or heard...
Published: December 7th, 2012
Category: Admissions
The University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine conducted early interviews from Saturday, November 17th to Friday, December 7, 2012. Sixty-two applicants (including in-state and out-of-state residents) were able to visit the college and enjoy tours, shadowing in the hospitals, and meeting with faculty, staff, and students. Early Interviews once again received rave reviews from candidates and we hope to continue the process for the fall 2013 admissions cycle. More information regarding the Early Interview process will be posted on the website when the application cycle begins again in June 2013.
The remaining UFCVM interviews will be held on Saturday, February 2nd and Saturday, February 9, 2012. Eligible candidates will be notified via email in mid-to-late January if they receive an interview offer. We estimate that between 170-180 applicants (including both in-state and out-of-state residents) will be invited for the spring 2013 interviews.
Those candidates that are not selected for interview will be notified in two batches in late-December and mid-to-late January.
If you have any questions about the admissions process, please contact the Office for Students and Instruction by phone at 352-294-4244 or by email at [email protected]
this was on the website...just thought I would share...does anyone know how many applicants there were this year? Maybe someone has emailed or heard...
UFCVM Admissions Update – 12/07/2012
Published: December 7th, 2012
Category: Admissions
The University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine conducted early interviews from Saturday, November 17th to Friday, December 7, 2012. Sixty-two applicants (including in-state and out-of-state residents) were able to visit the college and enjoy tours, shadowing in the hospitals, and meeting with faculty, staff, and students. Early Interviews once again received rave reviews from candidates and we hope to continue the process for the fall 2013 admissions cycle. More information regarding the Early Interview process will be posted on the website when the application cycle begins again in June 2013.
The remaining UFCVM interviews will be held on Saturday, February 2nd and Saturday, February 9, 2012. Eligible candidates will be notified via email in mid-to-late January if they receive an interview offer. We estimate that between 170-180 applicants (including both in-state and out-of-state residents) will be invited for the spring 2013 interviews.
Those candidates that are not selected for interview will be notified in two batches in late-December and mid-to-late January.
If you have any questions about the admissions process, please contact the Office for Students and Instruction by phone at 352-294-4244 or by email at [email protected]
this was on the website...just thought I would share...does anyone know how many applicants there were this year? Maybe someone has emailed or heard...
I know it was almost 600 more than a week before apps were even due. But I don't know the final count. It truly doesn't matter though. Playing the probability game isn't helpful with vet school admissions. 😀
I know it was almost 600 more than a week before apps were even due. But I don't know the final count. It truly doesn't matter though. Playing the probability game isn't helpful with vet school admissions. 😀
600 more than the previous year? Yeah...knowing will only make me freak out more...but I thrive on stress 😀
600 more than the previous year? Yeah...knowing will only make me freak out more...but I thrive on stress 😀
Sorry no, 600 applicants with a week left on the due date is what I meant.
Sorry no, 600 applicants with a week left on the due date is what I meant.
😱 maybe everyone was an early bird and set it in early?
...except for me. sent mine in 2 days before the due date. poops. 🙁
..... sure 😏😱 maybe everyone was an early bird and set it in early?
Whatever makes you feel better 😀👍
I emailed FL asking about number of applicants and got this response. They were very prompt and polite and these numbers are not as bad as I would have thought! 🙂
"To answer your question we had 813 applications this year of which 338 were Florida residents and 475 non-Florida. We had an increase in applications this year when compared to last years numbers."
"To answer your question we had 813 applications this year of which 338 were Florida residents and 475 non-Florida. We had an increase in applications this year when compared to last years numbers."
I emailed FL asking about number of applicants and got this response. They were very prompt and polite and these numbers are not as bad as I would have thought! 🙂
"To answer your question we had 813 applications this year of which 338 were Florida residents and 475 non-Florida. We had an increase in applications this year when compared to last years numbers."
475 non-Florida applicants is doable! I was thinking more like 700 applicants to compete with.. Getting antsy over here! The midwest is cold. I'd much rather be in Florida!
475 non-Florida applicants is doable! I was thinking more like 700 applicants to compete with.. Getting antsy over here! The midwest is cold. I'd much rather be in Florida!
Exactly my thoughts, I was excited about the number. I lived in Orlando for 6 months, I could def do Florida again! I am too anxious! 🙂🙂🙂
That's how I feel, too. The big problem that worries me now is that I just had a bad semester after a streak of awesome grades. 🙁 I could explain in an interview (had a lot of personal issues this semester), but they won't have an explanation before interview invites are sent.475 non-Florida applicants is doable! I was thinking more like 700 applicants to compete with..
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's how I feel, too. The big problem that worries me now is that I just had a bad semester after a streak of awesome grades. 🙁 I could explain in an interview (had a lot of personal issues this semester), but they won't have an explanation before interview invites are sent.
I would try and explain anyway...just email them...I cannot imagine the stress of my last year piled on with applying to vet school. (I graduated in december of 2010). I am sure you are not the only person...senior year is hard...good luck and stay positive! 😉
Thanks! I'm actually just finishing up a second major and a minor, but I took on much more than I should have this semester. I maxed my credit hours, took on three jobs, and was involved in too many extracurricular activities. It also doesn't help when everything falls apart mid-semester. I went into a depressive state for a few weeks and it took me all semester to even partially catch-up once I semi-recovered. I'm not going to let it bother me too much, but luckily UF is one of the few schools I applied to that look at fall transcripts.I would try and explain anyway...just email them...I cannot imagine the stress of my last year piled on with applying to vet school. (I graduated in december of 2010). I am sure you are not the only person...senior year is hard...good luck and stay positive! 😉
Thanks! I'm actually just finishing up a second major and a minor, but I took on much more than I should have this semester. I maxed my credit hours, took on three jobs, and was involved in too many extracurricular activities. It also doesn't help when everything falls apart mid-semester.
You are super woman! To me, it just sounds like you are an awesome go-getter. I'm sure they will take that into consideration with everything else. I am glad you are doing better 🙂. I took a plunge Fall '10 semester doing the exact same thing. Since you have had great grades up to this point, I'm sure they will be understanding. If not, we will beat them
. Just kidding 🙄Thanks! 🙂 I'll know for sure next week when grades come out, but it's not promising.You are super woman! To me, it just sounds like you are an awesome go-getter. I'm sure they will take that into consideration with everything else. I am glad you are doing better 🙂. I took a plunge Fall '10 semester doing the exact same thing. Since you have had great grades up to this point, I'm sure they will be understanding. If not, we will beat them. Just kidding 🙄

