-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Florida c/o 2017 Applicants!
Started by Emiloo4
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I got in!!!!!!!
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Yay!!! So so excited for you! Congratulations!

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I, too, am in!
Last edited:
Yayyyy I got in! UF c/o 2017 here I come! A spot at Kansas just opened up 🙂
Congrats to those who got in! Welcome to the Gator nation! If you have any questions about the certificate programs or dual MPH program, feel free to pm in. I'm in both in addition to the DVM.
I JUST GOT IN off the IS Waitlist! IT IS POSSIBLE! Can't wait to meet you all!
Congrats, Roshan! That's awesome! 

I JUST GOT IN off the IS Waitlist! IT IS POSSIBLE! Can't wait to meet you all!
Awesome, congrats!! Did they call or email you?!
I got an email this morning! Wishing the best of luck for everyone else still waiting!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I JUST GOT IN off the IS Waitlist! IT IS POSSIBLE! Can't wait to meet you all!
congrats!!!! did you call jonathan to find out kind of where you were on the wait list?? i'm IS waitlist, too, and i think i'm in the middlish (gut feeling says 10ish).
congrats!!!! did you call jonathan to find out kind of where you were on the wait list?? i'm IS waitlist, too, and i think i'm in the middlish (gut feeling says 10ish).
He said that he wasn't giving out ranking this year because last year it got him some lash back from wait listers.
Poor Jonathan, I feel like he catches a lot of crap for things that aren't his fault. He's such a good guy.
PS...I'm probably going to be looking for a roommate, and I'd like it to be an incoming freshman. I'll be on clinics so I won't be around a whole lot and when I am, I'll probably be sleeping. I have 2 kitties, one of which doesn't really like when I try to make him make new 4-legged friends, so ideally someone without pets. If any of you 2017ers are interested, send me a PM!
PS...I'm probably going to be looking for a roommate, and I'd like it to be an incoming freshman. I'll be on clinics so I won't be around a whole lot and when I am, I'll probably be sleeping. I have 2 kitties, one of which doesn't really like when I try to make him make new 4-legged friends, so ideally someone without pets. If any of you 2017ers are interested, send me a PM!
He said that he wasn't giving out ranking this year because last year it got him some lash back from wait listers.
he is willing to say your general area though, not your specific ranking. the fact that he does this alone is great.
So current Florida students what do you LOVE about the school and what to you dislike? I live in Gainesville already so know about the town and parking. I've heard completely mixed reviews on the school from veterinarians and current students but I still want to hear more.
So current Florida students what do you LOVE about the school and what to you dislike? I live in Gainesville already so know about the town and parking. I've heard completely mixed reviews on the school from veterinarians and current students but I still want to hear more.
Same! Thank you to whoever volunteers their input.
I love that there are tons of opportunities for animal experience during your first two years even though you're only doing didactic learning. There's Operation Catnip once a month, PAWS clinics once a month, Revolution clinics twice a semester, plus tons of wetlabs through the different clubs and the Blood Donor Mares that you can go groom and feed to relax.
I also love that you get a chance to go into the clinics before you make decisions about small or large animal classes. UF has you do 2 years in the classroom, 2 semesters on rotations, back into the classroom for 2 semesters, then your final semester you are in the clinic. This is really helpful for me because I'm still not 100% sure whether I want to be large or small animal.
I love how accessible a lot of the faculty are. Some of the professors will give you their personal contact information, not just an e-mail, and are willing to meet you outside of office hours.
Things I don't like:
-The schedule is wrong pretty frequently, less so this year than it was last year but it can be frustrating to the students AND staff
-The state. I want to get out as soon as I graduate.
If you have any specific questions, let me know
I also love that you get a chance to go into the clinics before you make decisions about small or large animal classes. UF has you do 2 years in the classroom, 2 semesters on rotations, back into the classroom for 2 semesters, then your final semester you are in the clinic. This is really helpful for me because I'm still not 100% sure whether I want to be large or small animal.
I love how accessible a lot of the faculty are. Some of the professors will give you their personal contact information, not just an e-mail, and are willing to meet you outside of office hours.
Things I don't like:
-The schedule is wrong pretty frequently, less so this year than it was last year but it can be frustrating to the students AND staff
-The state. I want to get out as soon as I graduate.
If you have any specific questions, let me know
Endless, endless opportunities outside the classroom. You can't even do it all if you tried. I just performed a fetotomy and sutured bovine uteri on Saturday, I've AI ed a pig, neutered two cats, palpated a mare and 40 cows, and am currently waiting to get a call to go help with a goat cesarean who has triplets in her right horn. I've played with a sloth and zebra (not literal playing lol), been taught by amazing (mostly) professors who consider us colleagues, am signing up for 7am rounds soon, and had the opportunity to be elected into 2 officer positions... all in one and a half semesters of my freshman year.
Cons:
We've dealt with a few mishaps this year in transitioning new professors, but that is resolved now (you're welcome 🙄 )
It's UF
😉
Scheduling was an issue once or twice but just mild inconveniences, nothing that ruined my day.
Cons:
We've dealt with a few mishaps this year in transitioning new professors, but that is resolved now (you're welcome 🙄 )
It's UF
Scheduling was an issue once or twice but just mild inconveniences, nothing that ruined my day.
Has anyone gotten a hard copy of their acceptance letter from UF yet?
Perhaps its my lack of understanding of American state stereotypes (I'm Canadian), but why is UF itself a con? I've also noticed that when I asked other applicants where they have applied, I haven't heard a single person say UF. If I ask why they didn't apply to UF, they say its because of Florida...which I don't understand because I thoroughly enjoy the weather there.
Thanks!
Thanks!
Endless, endless opportunities outside the classroom. You can't even do it all if you tried. I just performed a fetotomy and sutured bovine uteri on Saturday, I've AI ed a pig, neutered two cats, palpated a mare and 40 cows, and am currently waiting to get a call to go help with a goat cesarean who has triplets in her right horn. I've played with a sloth and zebra (not literal playing lol), been taught by amazing (mostly) professors who consider us colleagues, am signing up for 7am rounds soon, and had the opportunity to be elected into 2 officer positions... all in one and a half semesters of my freshman year.
Cons:
We've dealt with a few mishaps this year in transitioning new professors, but that is resolved now (you're welcome 🙄 )
It's UF😉
Scheduling was an issue once or twice but just mild inconveniences, nothing that ruined my day.
My main issue with UF, is that the University is HUGE! The vet school comes last in the importance of professional schools, med school, pharm school, dental school, OT school, PT school, Nursing School ect. I feel we are on the bottom bottom. Also UF campus is so spread out all over the town of Gainesville its actually hard to walk anywhere on campus.
Perhaps its my lack of understanding of American state stereotypes (I'm Canadian), but why is UF itself a con? I've also noticed that when I asked other applicants where they have applied, I haven't heard a single person say UF. If I ask why they didn't apply to UF, they say its because of Florida...which I don't understand because I thoroughly enjoy the weather there.
Thanks!
I only say that bc I went to the rival undergrad. The school itself is great.
My main issue with UF, is that the University is HUGE! The vet school comes last in the importance of professional schools, med school, pharm school, dental school, OT school, PT school, Nursing School ect. I feel we are on the bottom bottom. Also UF campus is so spread out all over the town of Gainesville its actually hard to walk anywhere on campus.
What makes you feel that way?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First off let me say that, I've gone to UF for 5 years and lived in the town for 6 years.
I think its absurd that the vet school has to use the Med schools microscopes and truck across 4+ lanes of traffic to get over to the med school so that there is access to microscopes. I also think its ridiculous that the lecture halls aren't big enough. During the tour all that was really mentioned was the second year lecture hall and how it was so much nicer then first year and how it was great not to have to have lecture at the med school any more. I've also know A LOT of people in vet school there now and I know A LOT of graduates from there. People tend to love it or hate it.
I think its absurd that the vet school has to use the Med schools microscopes and truck across 4+ lanes of traffic to get over to the med school so that there is access to microscopes. I also think its ridiculous that the lecture halls aren't big enough. During the tour all that was really mentioned was the second year lecture hall and how it was so much nicer then first year and how it was great not to have to have lecture at the med school any more. I've also know A LOT of people in vet school there now and I know A LOT of graduates from there. People tend to love it or hate it.
First off let me say that, I've gone to UF for 5 years and lived in the town for 6 years.
I think its absurd that the vet school has to use the Med schools microscopes and truck across 4+ lanes of traffic to get over to the med school so that there is access to microscopes. I also think its ridiculous that the lecture halls aren't big enough. During the tour all that was really mentioned was the second year lecture hall and how it was so much nicer then first year and how it was great not to have to have lecture at the med school any more. I've also know A LOT of people in vet school there now and I know A LOT of graduates from there. People tend to love it or hate it.
Yeah the shands histo lab thing is really annoying. As well as having to use their testing center. But other than that we're pretty self sufficient. I wasn't trying to start anything, was just honestly curious of your thoughts. The size of the classroom really hasn't been an issue at all so I wouldn't let that bother you too much. I think a lot of vet schools are having those problems with transitioning after adding too many seats 🙄
And yes, everyone loves it or hates it, as is everything in life. I would just suggest going in with an open mind and try not to let negative things you hear from people influence the way you feel (not saying you would). It can really make a big difference in your experience. Time will fly either way and you'll be a vet in 4 years 😀
Last edited:
Perhaps its my lack of understanding of American state stereotypes (I'm Canadian), but why is UF itself a con? I've also noticed that when I asked other applicants where they have applied, I haven't heard a single person say UF. If I ask why they didn't apply to UF, they say its because of Florida...which I don't understand because I thoroughly enjoy the weather there.
Thanks!
So, some people don't like UF because it's UF. As Emiloo said, rivalries. In the South, college football is king (I don't get it) and everything else is just along for the ride. Usually it's not an actual dislike of the program, just smack talking.
For me, I've grown up in Florida and just hate that it's always hot and humid. I don't understand people who want to get away from the cold to move here. I mean a vacation, sure that's cool, but...I'm just not a fan of the heat. I'll be moving as soon as I graduate.
Where can I get CVM merchandise? I can't find any online.
http://www.bkstr.com/webapp/wcs/sto...logId=10001&langId=-1&demoKey=d&storeId=10898
There isn't tons but it gets you buy until orientation week where you'll be completely flooded with more merch than you can even purchase.
Eh... Looks like most of it is only in large sizes. Sorry.
I know I asked this earlier, but has anyone who was accepted on 2/14 gotten their acceptance letter in the mail yet? I still haven't and I'm wondering if it's lost or something, 😕.
you can also buy merch on the scavma website. www.ufscavma.com just click on store
I know I asked this earlier, but has anyone who was accepted on 2/14 gotten their acceptance letter in the mail yet? I still haven't and I'm wondering if it's lost or something, 😕.
I haven't gotten mine yet either. Hopefully soon!
I know I asked this earlier, but has anyone who was accepted on 2/14 gotten their acceptance letter in the mail yet? I still haven't and I'm wondering if it's lost or something, 😕.
Have you emailed back your decision to attend? They didn't send us letters last year until we accepted by email I believe.
Have you emailed back your decision to attend? They didn't send us letters last year until we accepted by email I believe.
Oh, thanks for responding, Emiloo. I didn't know that. It says in the email:
The UFCVM will mail you a hard copy of this letter and a UF Acceptance Form which must be signed and returned to the college by certified mail no later than Monday, April 15, 2013. Should you decide to accept our offer, we will correspond further with you about the many details of becoming a member of the Class of 2017.
It would be hard for me to send a signed form confirming acceptance if they didn't send it sooner, so I was confused. I was wondering when I would get information in the mail because I wanted to see if they sent information about financial aid. I guess I'll just email them.
Oh, thanks for responding, Emiloo. I didn't know that. It says in the email:
The UFCVM will mail you a hard copy of this letter and a UF Acceptance Form which must be signed and returned to the college by certified mail no later than Monday, April 15, 2013. Should you decide to accept our offer, we will correspond further with you about the many details of becoming a member of the Class of 2017.
It would be hard for me to send a signed form confirming acceptance if they didn't send it sooner, so I was confused. I was wondering when I would get information in the mail because I wanted to see if they sent information about financial aid. I guess I'll just email them.
Yeah maybe email and see. That's how it worked last year I believe. And FYI, you won't hear a PEEP about financial aid until about August... I only wish I were kidding. Just make sure your FAFSA is filled out and you're all set. I even asked several times and was told we'd be getting info sent to us at a later date. 🙄
Oh, thanks for responding, Emiloo. I didn't know that. It says in the email:
The UFCVM will mail you a hard copy of this letter and a UF Acceptance Form which must be signed and returned to the college by certified mail no later than Monday, April 15, 2013. Should you decide to accept our offer, we will correspond further with you about the many details of becoming a member of the Class of 2017.
It would be hard for me to send a signed form confirming acceptance if they didn't send it sooner, so I was confused. I was wondering when I would get information in the mail because I wanted to see if they sent information about financial aid. I guess I'll just email them.
I emailed Jonathan back my decision to attend the day I got my acceptance email (UF was my first choice 👍) and I still have not gotten a hard copy in the mail either. I'm getting a little anxious. I will probably shoot Jonathan an email early this week...
Congratulations! I think we start August 12th. I've been researching places to live on the internet and have had a lot of good luck with that. I will probably visit FL this semester again to actually tour some places. It's more difficult from OOS. I don't know where you live, but this is a good website... http://www.gainesville-rent.com/
Btw, I'm looking for a roommate or two 🙂
Btw, I'm looking for a roommate or two 🙂
Thanks. I am definitely interested in a roommate. Let me know when you are coming down to look for places. I live in Orlando and could come to Gainesville for a day. Feel free to PM me if you want to meet.Congratulations! I think we start August 12th. I've been researching places to live on the internet and have had a lot of good luck with that. I will probably visit FL this semester again to actually tour some places. It's more difficult from OOS. I don't know where you live, but this is a good website... http://www.gainesville-rent.com/
Btw, I'm looking for a roommate or two 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have decided to accept my seat for OOS, but I have a question. Is there a deposit that I need to send in to secure my spot in the class? I have the form to send in, but it does not mention a deposit, nor did the email I received notifying me of my accceptance. 😕
Thanks!
Thanks!
I have decided to accept my seat for OOS, but I have a question. Is there a deposit that I need to send in to secure my spot in the class? I have the form to send in, but it does not mention a deposit, nor did the email I received notifying me of my accceptance. 😕
Thanks!
Nope. UF doesn't require a deposit! 👍 😀
And congrats!!! Let me know if you need help looking for housing from out of state. I did most of mine online.
Nope. UF doesn't require a deposit! 👍 😀
And congrats!!! Let me know if you need help looking for housing from out of state. I did most of mine online.
Thank you! That's great news. The whole admissions process was wonderful. I'm getting really excited. I have a friend that is at UF now so I'll be moving in with him. Coming from UM it's difficult to think I will be a Gator next fall!
Hey everyone! I've been lurking on this thread for a few months now, but decided to get in on the action. I accepted my position in the c/o 2017, and can't wait to start this fall! Has anyone gotten their hard copy letter yet? I've been checking the mail like a maniac for the past week.
I too am looking for roommates, so PM me if you wanna talk. I'm living in Orlando right now, so I would be down for a meetup as well if you're around.
I too am looking for roommates, so PM me if you wanna talk. I'm living in Orlando right now, so I would be down for a meetup as well if you're around.
Something to keep in mind when you're looking for roommates is that you are with your classmates for like 8 hours a day, more if there are club meetings or reviews, so a lot of people prefer to live with someone not in their class. Upperclassmen and other professional students make good roommates from what I can tell as they understand the rigor, but don't spend all day every day with you.
I'm planning on moving closer to school into a 3/2 townhome that runs about $1000 a month. There aren't too many listings up yet since it's pretty early and a lot of leases aren't up until June/July/August. If any of you are interested in potentially rooming, let me know.
I'm planning on moving closer to school into a 3/2 townhome that runs about $1000 a month. There aren't too many listings up yet since it's pretty early and a lot of leases aren't up until June/July/August. If any of you are interested in potentially rooming, let me know.
So excited! Can't wait to meet everyone!