Florida c/o 2017 Applicants!

Started by Emiloo4
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Yay another Nole! That worried me too 😉

I've worked with/for a few people that have made the FSU-UF transition for vet school. I don't believe they actually hold a prejudice, but they certainly don't seem to like me!😀
 
Congrats to everyone who got interview invites. To those of you who were waitlisted, don't give up hope. If you were rejected, apply again next year if you don't get scooped up by another school.

Maus, don't give up, but don't forget that everyone that applies has something or lots of things that they think make them more deserving than others. The schools want diversity, not just stellar stats. I hope this doesn't come across as mean, that's not my intention, just trying to shed some light.
I understand, I think I have a huge negative mark against me because I started and quit a PhD program (at UF, no less!). I suppose it doesn't say a lot for my potential commitment to a DVM program. Good luck to those interviewing next month, hopefully some of you decline your offers😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I understand, I think I have a huge negative mark against me because I started and quit a PhD program (at UF, no less!). I suppose it doesn't say a lot for my potential commitment to a DVM program. Good luck to those interviewing next month, hopefully some of you decline your offers😉

I started and quit a masters program...it was suppose to be my "plan B" when I didnt get in last year and then I realized I hated it and stopped before the next semester. It was free, on the campus that I worked so I just tried it. Hated it, lol.

Things happen 🙂
 
For any of the early interviewees that may be browsing this thread, please contribute to the interview feedback page for UF. It looks like only 4 people have posted questions asked since DEC 2012. That means 58 of you are holding out...
 
For any of the early interviewees that may be browsing this thread, please contribute to the interview feedback page for UF. It looks like only 4 people have posted questions asked since DEC 2012. That means 58 of you are holding out...

I don't think anyone is "holding out" :eyebrow: Also, the early interviews are very different from the normal ones and not everyone of those 58 is even on SDN. Not even close lol.
My advice is to know your application (one person has seen your application), know your stance on ethical issues (the 2nd person's questions), and the 4th year student questions are hypothetical situations. For example, I was asked what I would do in this situation:
You are responsible for planning a senior banquet, a white coat ceremony, and a freshman social. You only have enough money for one, how would you decide which one to put the money toward?
I was also asked if I were an adcom how would I choose between an applicant with tons if experience and a low GPA and an applicant with little experience and a high GPA.

There is not much to do to prepare for UF's interview. They want to get to know you and they want to make sure you can form an opinion and explain yourself. The questions aren't always the same. A lot of it ends up being conversation.
 
I don't think anyone is "holding out" :eyebrow: Also, the early interviews are very different from the normal ones and not everyone of those 58 is even on SDN. Not even close lol.
My advice is to know your application (one person has seen your application), know your stance on ethical issues (the 2nd person's questions), and the 4th year student questions are hypothetical situations. For example, I was asked what I would do in this situation:
You are responsible for planning a senior banquet, a white coat ceremony, and a freshman social. You only have enough money for one, how would you decide which one to put the money toward?
I was also asked if I were an adcom how would I choose between an applicant with tons if experience and a low GPA and an applicant with little experience and a high GPA.

There is not much to do to prepare for UF's interview. They want to get to know you and they want to make sure you can form an opinion and explain yourself. The questions aren't always the same. A lot of it ends up being conversation.

I guess I would be one of the ones "holding out," but not intentionally...My interview was textbook SDN Feedback page. EVERY question but one that I was asked is already listed on that page. Everything else is the same, as well. I wouldn't want to make the page too repetitive...

The one question they asked me that varied from those listed, and I think it was as a joke, was " Say you had 3 tests in the same week, and you were planning to attend a club-sponsored event on the following Saturday, but then you were roped into finding attendees to that event in the same week. How would you manage your time to complete all these tasks?"
Pretty sure my interviewer just pulled it out of his a** lol.

Emiloo- I also had those two questions. When I said I would get rid of the senior banquet, the 4th year was very indignant :laugh:

Just want to say, I thoroughly enjoyed my interview- we were laughing throughout. If you are nervous, please don't be- they make it as laid back as possible :luck: :luck: :luck:
 
Last edited:
i wish march would hurry up and get here so i can do a file review and ask them what they didn't like about me 🙁
 
I guess I would be one of the ones "holding out," but not intentionally...My interview was textbook SDN Feedback page. EVERY question but one that I was asked is already listed on that page. Everything else is the same, as well. I wouldn't want to make the page too repetitive...

The one question they asked me that varied from those listed, and I think it was as a joke, was " Say you had 3 tests in the same week, and you were planning to attend a club-sponsored event on the following Saturday, but then you were roped into finding attendees to that event in the same week. How would you manage your time to complete all these tasks?"
Pretty sure my interviewer just pulled it out of his a** lol.

Emiloo- I also had those two questions. When I said I would get rid of the senior banquet, the 4th year was very indignant :laugh:

Just want to say, I thoroughly enjoyed my interview- we were laughing throughout. If you are nervous, please don't be- they make it as laid back as possible :luck: :luck: :luck:

That hypothetical situation will happen. Trust me.
 
i wish march would hurry up and get here so i can do a file review and ask them what they didn't like about me 🙁
I know it is hard to not get discouraged but sometimes it not about what they dislike about you but rather how stiff the competetion is that you are up against. I can't remember you GRE scores from one of the other threads but it was "average". I would certainly plan to re take the GRE and try and rock it. This will help you stand out. Not sure if you had anyone read your personal statement but get 3 or 4 people to review it. Look for schools that match your traits i.e. some schools really value the last 45 hrs some GRE... Also make sure you understand which schools will average classes that you have re-taken ( i know both Auburn and NCSU average any repeats not sure about Florida or not.) and if you should do something different on your VMCAS for next year since your school doesnt average them on your transcript. Continue to gain expereince and make sure that you have excellent letters of recommendation. Your GPA is good so it is about making you stand out.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have my interview on February 9 & I'm pumped!!! I'm between Western & UF for 1st choice, & interviews at both coming up. Who will I be meeting?? 🙂
 
I have my interview on February 9 & I'm pumped!!! I'm between Western & UF for 1st choice, & interviews at both coming up. Who will I be meeting?? 🙂

Possibly me! I'm signed up to help with interviews.
And make sure you do your homework about both schools. Their curriculum could not be more opposite of each other. So think about which one suits you better.
 
Hi, guys! I got admitted to Florida (Yayyy! 🙂🙂🙂), and I have a quick question about Gainesville for anyone who is currently in the area. I am a gluten-free vegan, and I am concerned about the availability of allergen-free foods (my dietary restrictions are health-related, and I am allergic to gluten and dairy). When I interviewed, I was told that there is no Whole Foods (or other health foods store) in Gainesville. Is this true? What grocery stores do operate in the area and how good of a job do they do at providing options for people with dietary issues?

I know this probably seems like a silly consideration, and I certainly can provide for myself by preparing produce and grains, etc. that are found in a traditional grocery store, but I am anticipating having less time available to cook from-scratch during veterinary school, and I would like to know what my options might be.
 
Hi, guys! I got admitted to Florida (Yayyy! 🙂🙂🙂), and I have a quick question about Gainesville for anyone who is currently in the area. I am a gluten-free vegan, and I am concerned about the availability of allergen-free foods (my dietary restrictions are health-related, and I am allergic to gluten and dairy). When I interviewed, I was told that there is no Whole Foods (or other health foods store) in Gainesville. Is this true? What grocery stores do operate in the area and how good of a job do they do at providing options for people with dietary issues?

I know this probably seems like a silly consideration, and I certainly can provide for myself by preparing produce and grains, etc. that are found in a traditional grocery store, but I am anticipating having less time available to cook from-scratch during veterinary school, and I would like to know what my options might be.

I'm a eateverythingtarian, but I can tell you what supermarkets we have. We have lots of Publix supermarkets, a Fresh Market (which I think would probably have more options for your dietary restrictions), and we just got a Trader Joes. There's a girl in my class who is a vegan and she finds time to make her own food - which is actually usually very good even though it sounds like it wouldn't be. Anyway, I'm sorry I can't give you more insight.
 
Hi, guys! I got admitted to Florida (Yayyy! 🙂🙂🙂), and I have a quick question about Gainesville for anyone who is currently in the area. I am a gluten-free vegan, and I am concerned about the availability of allergen-free foods (my dietary restrictions are health-related, and I am allergic to gluten and dairy). When I interviewed, I was told that there is no Whole Foods (or other health foods store) in Gainesville. Is this true? What grocery stores do operate in the area and how good of a job do they do at providing options for people with dietary issues?

I know this probably seems like a silly consideration, and I certainly can provide for myself by preparing produce and grains, etc. that are found in a traditional grocery store, but I am anticipating having less time available to cook from-scratch during veterinary school, and I would like to know what my options might be.

They just opened a Trader Joes and all of our Publix grocery stores have Greenwise markets inside of them. There is also a Ward's Supermarket that has only local stuff.
Many many many people are vegans and gluten free around here. There are a lot of restaurants with a wide range of dietary options too.

Edit: Bearby and I posted at the same time 😳
 
I got upgraded from wait list to interview list yesterday! It will be the day after my Auburn interview, so I am in for one hell of an adventure haha!

I'm excited for this interview. Hypothetical situations are the most fun part of an interview in my opinion, and I've heard from everyone I've asked that they ask some weird ones!
 
My Florida interview was my best one. The hypothetical questions aren't ever looking for a right or wrong answer, but just that you have a stand and support it even if people are trying to convince you otherwise. It really is very laid back.
 
So Gainesville was just voted like number 1 vegan friendly college town or something like that. We have Publix which personally is the best grocery store ever. They have everything you could ever want. Next there is Fresh Market which is similar to Whole Foods as well as a Mother Earth store which is similar too. Then there is Wards a locally owned grocery store which is actually more of a market. The sell fresh local produce and bulk grains. Very cool little place to shop. Then Trader Joes just opened.

There are several local restaurants that advertise vegan and gluten free menu items. I wouldnt let your diet restrictions hold you back from UF. I think youll be just fine here.
 
I got upgraded from wait list to interview list yesterday! It will be the day after my Auburn interview, so I am in for one hell of an adventure haha!

I'm excited for this interview. Hypothetical situations are the most fun part of an interview in my opinion, and I've heard from everyone I've asked that they ask some weird ones!
Congrats! Do you know what spot you were on the wait list?
 
When are everyone's interviews? I will be one of your tour guide/debriefers/Q&A session students on the 9th! 😀
 
My interview is on Feb 2nd midday. Extra work hours have kept me busy, but spending so much time at the vet school is also a constant reminder that in seven days 🙂eek🙂 I'll be walking around in heels and a monkey suit instead of scrubs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm Feb 9th, so you may see me! I'm a tall blonde dude in a snazzy charcoal suit haha

Well I'm a short blonde 👍.
What time is your interview?
(P.S. I rocked an FSU shirt under my suit on my interview day :meanie: Under my charcoal suit as well!)
 
I'll be interviewing bright and early at 8am this Saturday. I suppose that's what I get for changing my interview day!
 
I'll be the exhausted one. As I have a 14 hour overnight the night before and I doubt I'll be able to sleep due to the fear of not waking in time.
 
Well I'm a short blonde 👍.
What time is your interview?
(P.S. I rocked an FSU shirt under my suit on my interview day :meanie: Under my charcoal suit as well!)

I'm 6'3'' so most people are short when I look at them. Maybe I'll throw Jimbear on my nametag 😀

Mine will be at 9:05am. Maybe I'll wear my marching chiefs shirt for luck haha.
 
I'm 6'3'' so most people are short when I look at them. Maybe I'll throw Jimbear on my nametag 😀

Mine will be at 9:05am. Maybe I'll wear my marching chiefs shirt for luck haha.

Then I will be one of your tour guides 😀
 
Hello Everyone!

I have been following this thread for awhile but this is my first post. 🙂 My interview is this Saturday at 9:05 am - I'm so nervous!! Who will I be meeting? Does anyone else have a similar interview time? I figured we would all be a little more at ease if we have already "met" before.

Even though it's nerve wrecking, I know we will all do great! 👍
 
I'm on the wait list too and haven't heard anything yet :-/ trying to stay hopeful and not to be bummed but ugh... fingers crossed!
 
I got upgraded from wait list to interview list yesterday! It will be the day after my Auburn interview, so I am in for one hell of an adventure haha!

I'm excited for this interview. Hypothetical situations are the most fun part of an interview in my opinion, and I've heard from everyone I've asked that they ask some weird ones!

Yay!!,! There's still hope for me then!!! Even if its right before or after auburn, I will get my arse down there.

I didn't know it was so vegan friendly! That's a ++++ in my book, seeing as I'm vegan. Not a crazy vegan though 😉 haha
 
Did any of the other wait-listers contact admissions and try to find ou where on the lis they are? All I know is that I am in the top third.
 
I vote that they insert "Are you single?" into the interview for male applicants. I would also be ok with that playing a part in their acceptance.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone!

I have been following this thread for awhile but this is my first post. 🙂 My interview is this Saturday at 9:05 am - I'm so nervous!! Who will I be meeting? Does anyone else have a similar interview time? I figured we would all be a little more at ease if we have already "met" before.

Even though it's nerve wrecking, I know we will all do great! 👍

Hey! My first post in this thread too 🙂
My interview is Saturday at 9:05am as well, so we will be seeing each other for sure! I'm getting pretty anxious/nervous. lol
 
To everyone interviewing over the next couple of weekend, don't be nervous. I know it's hard not to be, but most of the people who do the interviews are super nice and they want you to be comfortable. If you're nervous, you're not yourself and the whole purpose of bringing you in is to get an idea of who you are. Anyway, good luck/break a leg. You'll be fine. 🙂
 
Ok. So I think that this was already discussed...but I am still confused but trying not to email admissions with any annoying questions..,

On the website where they have admission statistics I am confused by the number of people invited for interview, invited for admission, and then the final number in the class. Does "invited" to FL also mean waitlist people (which is pretty much everyone I guess by the number) or do they really pour through the waitlist to get 23 final OOS spots? Does anyone have more clarifacation on this?

Thanks!
 
Ok. So I think that this was already discussed...but I am still confused but trying not to email admissions with any annoying questions..,

On the website where they have admission statistics I am confused by the number of people invited for interview, invited for admission, and then the final number in the class. Does "invited" to FL also mean waitlist people (which is pretty much everyone I guess by the number) or do they really pour through the waitlist to get 23 final OOS spots? Does anyone have more clarifacation on this?

Thanks!

It is hard to get OOS spots filled. I know last year all the out of state students who interviewed got either accepted or waitlisted and they still had to move through a large number of OOS waitlist spots to fill the class. We have a large number of OOS seats and a lots of people who are accepted for those spots are accepted at other schools too (one of which may be their IS which means it's a lot cheaper).