Florida Class of 2012 accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aggiedonk

UF Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do we have one of these for VetMed 2012 yet?
I did not find one and probably not since we've all been waiting forever.....
Accepted c/o 2012!!:laugh:
Whose gonna be there?!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be there in Gainesville too! (Finally, I'm a Gator again!)

Got my acceptance today!!!...DVM/MPH

Members don't see this ad :)
See ya guys and gals there Im in!

Has everyone else already taken the animal science/nutrition courses?
I'm about to sign up for them. They start pretty early May, no?

Summer school starts may 12th. I am currently an undergrad at UF. If you can tell me the course numbers, then I can tell you their schedule (time and days) each week. You will also have a one week break at the end of june. If you have any questions about summer school, I might be able to help you out.

Are you part of the pre-vet club? If so, did you have a vet from south FL speak a few weeks ago?

Im an officer in the prevet club. We had a vet or two from South Florida come up for our Symposium a few weeks ago.

Im an officer in the prevet club. We had a vet or two from South Florida come up for our Symposium a few weeks ago.

Dwyatt Bull is a cow horse pal of mine - we used to compete together a few years back. He told me today he spoke to a "good group of kids at UF" and remarked how interested you folks were in what he had to say.

Small world Lenadeb, small world.

I was the one who asked Dr. Bull to come speak up here. I have known him for 15 years, and have worked as a vet tech at his clinic for 6 years now. PM me if you'd like...

Add me to the class of 2012! My acceptance came today!!! :D

Yay everybody!!
Here's to the next four years!
Anybody scared yet?:D
I told my husband I figure the worrying will set in next.

Has everyone else already taken the animal science/nutrition courses?
I'm about to sign up for them. They start pretty early May, no?

I'm thinking about taking the correspondence courses for those from Univ. of Oklahoma since I need to work this summer as much as I can and the UF courses run from 8:00 AM to 10:45 AM nearly every weekday and then there's a lab (I think) for several hours one afternoon. Is anyone else going to do this?
And if so, what about the lab? Would we miss out on anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay everybody!!

I'm thinking about taking the correspondence courses for those from Univ. of Oklahoma since I need to work this summer as much as I can and the UF courses run from 8:00 AM to 10:45 AM nearly every weekday and then there's a lab (I think) for several hours one afternoon. Is anyone else going to do this?
And if so, what about the lab? Would we miss out on anything?

1 -- I'm terrified!! Not only is the prospect of vet school scary, but I'm moving to Florida from PA.. and I've lived in the same 3-block radius for nearly all of my 26 years on this planet! It's a good kind of scared though.. I think! (I hope??)

2 -- I'm taking the OK State correspondence courses right now. I just started, but they seem really reasonable! So far, I like it. Obviously, I can't speak for the UF lab course though.

aggiedonk,

If you are asking about the lab for Intro to Animal Sciences (ANS3006C), then it is really easy. In fact, there is no grade for that section. It is optional, as all you do is go to the dairy, horse teaching unit, swine facility, and beef teaching units to take a look around and do some hands-on stuff. Dr. Hembry (the prof) is a nice guy, and the course is fairly easy.

If it is Animal Nutrition (ANS3440) with Dr. Miles that you are asking about, then it may be a bit harder to comprehend. Overall though, it is a fairly easy, and informative course.

If you have any other questions (I know there are a bunch of us UF undergrads on here that can answer basically anything), then ask away!

Yay everybody!!

'

The only thing freaken me out is knowing that now I have to get the Rabies vaccs. Both my dislike of shots and my dislike of dropping that much money is getting to me! =P.

1 -- I'm terrified!! Not only is the prospect of vet school scary, but I'm moving to Florida from PA.. and I've lived in the same 3-block radius for nearly all of my 26 years on this planet! It's a good kind of scared though.. I think! (I hope??)

2 -- I'm taking the OK State correspondence courses right now. I just started, but they seem really reasonable! So far, I like it. Obviously, I can't speak for the UF lab course though.

Oh, I think you'll be fine 'cause Gainesville is a small town and that helps. The traffic can be a real pain, but the vet school is outside of most of that (except Archer Rd.). I've lived here overall about 12 years. I moved away then came back. There's lots of newly built places to live that's for sure. And there's usually something going on around town especially in the fall and most people here are friendly. I live on 17 acres south of Gainesville with quite a few critters large and small.

That's good to know. Can we finish them at our own pace or is it structured?

At your own pace. You have to wait for the first written assignment to be graded (turnaround time is usually only a day or so via email) in order to start the 2nd assignment. But once the first assignment comes back to you, you can submit as many as you want at one time. You need to give them lead time to mail the exams to your proctor which is the only "snag" as far as time constraints. Also, the list of people qualified to be exam proctors is kind of weird: college dean, librarian, human resource manager, superintendent. Something like that. So a practicing veterinarian or a college professor wouldn't count.

HTH!

aggiedonk,

If you are asking about the lab for Intro to Animal Sciences (ANS3006C), then it is really easy. In fact, there is no grade for that section. It is optional, as all you do is go to the dairy, horse teaching unit, swine facility, and beef teaching units to take a look around and do some hands-on stuff. Dr. Hembry (the prof) is a nice guy, and the course is fairly easy.

If it is Animal Nutrition (ANS3440) with Dr. Miles that you are asking about, then it may be a bit harder to comprehend. Overall though, it is a fairly easy, and informative course.

If you have any other questions (I know there are a bunch of us UF undergrads on here that can answer basically anything), then ask away!

Oh, I didn't know the lab was optional. Hmmm...If they are really enjoyable courses I usually like to attend class rather than online. There's just the time factor. Do people usually take these two classes right up until August and then start vet school? That doesn't leave much time to take off before school starts and I keep hearing that's really important to do. And also is Animal Science mostly food animal production type stuff?

Also, the list of people qualified to be exam proctors is kind of weird: college dean, librarian, human resource manager, superintendent. Something like that. So a practicing veterinarian or a college professor wouldn't count.

HTH!
So what do you do? Just pick somebody?

So what do you do? Just pick somebody?

Yup. One of my bio profs happens to be the interim associate dean of one of the colleges at my university. I called OK State to verify that she'd be accepted as a proctor and they said fine. There are exam request sheets in your course guide which require you to fill out proctor info -- official title, official institution, official address, etc. I guess that's how they verify.

Just got my letter today!!! YAYY :D . I'm from NY.. I plan on taking nutrition through OK as well

Oh, I didn't know the lab was optional. Hmmm...If they are really enjoyable courses I usually like to attend class rather than online. There's just the time factor. Do people usually take these two classes right up until August and then start vet school? That doesn't leave much time to take off before school starts and I keep hearing that's really important to do. And also is Animal Science mostly food animal production type stuff?

I took the nutrition class last summer and there were quite a few vet students in the class taking it before they started in August. It gives you the afternoon free if decide not to go to the lab but sometimes questions on the test come from the lab, but not that many. There is no attendance taken in the animal science lab, but it is informative and interesting. If Dr. Miles is teaching the nutrition class, you learn a variety of information. He's kind of random but his information is interesting. You learn about the nutrients itself and have homework to figure out the proportions of the food to feed animals, mainly cow feed or swine.

Last day to register for Summer A/C is April 10th. What the crap. Talk about short notice. I'm supposed to get all this crap filled out and find time to drive up there to have this physically signed by the dean of animal sciences. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Oh and get some vaccinations, too. s.o.b.

Last day to register for Summer A/C is April 10th. What the crap. Talk about short notice. I'm supposed to get all this crap filled out and find time to drive up there to have this physically signed by the dean of animal sciences. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Oh and get some vaccinations, too. s.o.b.

i think that is the deadline for early registration because you have until the first couple of days of class to switch classes, usually. I'm sure the vet school will also make some type of arrangements for you if need be. On isis the last day to register for summer class is May 9

I'm in! Can't wait to meet you all in the fall!

I live on 17 acres south of Gainesville with quite a few critters large and small.

Finish at your own pace - I did nutrition in 5 weeks and will do animal sci in 2 or 3. They are pretty quick about grading assignments and sending exams.

I am going to PM you and would like to discuss acreage up that way - I need to move the entire farm.

I AM IN TOO!! WOOOOOOO!! UF CLASS OF 2012!!

Okay.. I am going to take these classes this summer.. any idea about housing for just the summer? I graduate on May 12th.. the day school starts?! I go to school in Atlanta.. how am I supposed to get these papers signed by the dean etc?

Congrats everyone! If your not from Gainesville and have any questions I lived there for 5 years (until I recently moved to Kansas to go to KSUCVM). Also, my brother is graduating from UF and is selling his one bedroom condo. If you are looking for an investment instead of renting for 4 years let me know. It's cheap, well kept, and (best of all) they allow pets all shapes and sizes (my brother had an AmStaf). PM me if your interested and congrats again... you should feel very relieved right now :)!

New Facebook Group: "UF College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2012"...;)

New Facebook Group: "UF College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2012"...;)

It doesn't come up when I search, is it private? Or does it just take a day for it to show up in search results?

Doesnt show up for me either!

I just drove up today to get the Dean of Agricultural Sciences to sign my paper for non-degree coursework for the two summer courses. Is it correct that we are not allowed to sign up for those classes until the first day of classes? How does that work?

I just drove up today to get the Dean of Agricultural Sciences to sign my paper for non-degree coursework for the two summer courses. Is it correct that we are not allowed to sign up for those classes until the first day of classes? How does that work?

Yes that's true, unless the vetschool can do something I don't know about.
Look on the UFL.EDU website under ISIS. Go under academic info on the right hand side. Go to Course Schedules and on that page look under summer 2008. This is what it says:

Visiting student (nondegree seeking) who has not been admitted - Summer A/C May 12 and
May 13 8:00am - 5:00pm

The deal is that degree seeking students register first. Then employees, then nondegree people. Basically non-degree people get to register last and get about 48 hours to do it. This date has been set for May 12-13 for summer C. So, it's important to get there early on the 12th in case anything goes wrong. (I've had to fight to get a class this way, but hopefully it's not the same with these since we have been admitted already and must have them).

Yes that's true, unless the vetschool can do something I don't know about.
Look on the UFL.EDU website under ISIS. Go under academic info on the right hand side. Go to Course Schedules and on that page look under summer 2008. This is what it says:

Visiting student (nondegree seeking) who has not been admitted - Summer A/C May 12 and
May 13 8:00am - 5:00pm

The deal is that degree seeking students register first. Then employees, then nondegree people. Basically non-degree people get to register last and get about 48 hours to do it. This date has been set for May 12-13 for summer C. So, it's important to get there early on the 12th in case anything goes wrong. (I've had to fight to get a class this way, but hopefully it's not the same with these since we have been admitted already and must have them).
Hmmmm.... Thank you for the info. Get where early on the 12th? I've absolutely no idea where anything is on campus.

I found the elusive facebook group! Actually, there are 2 for some reason... I considered making a third, just to confuse everyone, but decided against it.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=24636208456

Join join join so we can start putting some names with some faces and get to know each other!

Hmmmm.... Thank you for the info. Get where early on the 12th? I've absolutely no idea where anything is on campus.

The admissions bldg. is Criser Hall. On the ufl.edu website there is a campus map where you can do a search for Criser. This would be a starting point if you need the non-degree registration papers etc. Then you would need to get the signatures from the animal science department. Then go back to Criser to turn them in.
It can just be alot of traveling around, and if there are any hang-ups, then it's better to be there early (less stress). :)
Hope that helps, if you need more info, I'm on campus so I should be able to find out things easier.

The admissions bldg. is Criser Hall. On the ufl.edu website there is a campus map where you can do a search for Criser. This would be a starting point if you need the non-degree registration papers etc. Then you would need to get the signatures from the animal science department. Then go back to Criser to turn them in.
It can just be alot of traveling around, and if there are any hang-ups, then it's better to be there early (less stress). :)
Hope that helps, if you need more info, I'm on campus so I should be able to find out things easier.
I was just up there on Tuesday to get the paper signed by the Dead of Ag., turn in immunization papers, and turn in non-degree whatnot to the registrar. Still, I'm not allowed to "sign up" for the classes until the first day of classes. Do I do that electronically? Do I still go to the first day of classes, but sign up later? Thank you.

I was just up there on Tuesday to get the paper signed by the Dead of Ag., turn in immunization papers, and turn in non-degree whatnot to the registrar. Still, I'm not allowed to "sign up" for the classes until the first day of classes. Do I do that electronically? Do I still go to the first day of classes, but sign up later? Thank you.

Bird dog - email or phone is fine. Ask each person at each level for a little help and it gets done.

I had the same problems when I signed up for Biochem; I first enlisted the aid of the professor, who then turned me to their department assistant who in turn sent me down to the dean's office. I then back-tracked up the line as needed ("I can't seem to get the Dean's office to sign this .. can you help me?") and when it is all said and done the professor has a lot of clout. As usual, they can add you if needed but it is best to try to slam through.

As an aside ... why not take these two classes from Oklahoma State? I just slammed through Animal Nutrition in 4 weeks and am going to do Animal Science now. The BEST part is the PRICE - about $450 per class and that includes the book!! 7 hours at UF and 2 books has got to be a lot more than $900 ???

If you are self-disciplined enough and willing to just bash out the work, the DE courses from OkSU are worth it .. they were also listed as approved in the interview packet.

Bird dog - email or phone is fine. Ask each person at each level for a little help and it gets done.

I had the same problems when I signed up for Biochem; I first enlisted the aid of the professor, who then turned me to their department assistant who in turn sent me down to the dean's office. I then back-tracked up the line as needed ("I can't seem to get the Dean's office to sign this .. can you help me?") and when it is all said and done the professor has a lot of clout. As usual, they can add you if needed but it is best to try to slam through.

As an aside ... why not take these two classes from Oklahoma State? I just slammed through Animal Nutrition in 4 weeks and am going to do Animal Science now. The BEST part is the PRICE - about $450 per class and that includes the book!! 7 hours at UF and 2 books has got to be a lot more than $900 ???

If you are self-disciplined enough and willing to just bash out the work, the DE courses from OkSU are worth it .. they were also listed as approved in the interview packet.
I like going to class, and it'll be free for me, because I have a lot of Bright Futures credit hours left.

I just got a call today. I am now a member of the C/O 2012!

I just got a call today. I am now a member of the C/O 2012!

Congrats!! I told ya the number looked good and I bet you would get in this year! :)

Now get thee to Facebook and add yourself to the class.

I hope between yourself and aggiedonk I can narrow down some dirt up that way. My dirt here has more interest lately, so the housing numbers are starting to turn for long-term planners and the bottom feeders are in full swing gobbling up the Cheap Stuff. I am thinking 45-60 days before I transition .. I hope sooner. Gonna take me a damn weekend just to move animals!!

Hi,
I'm trying to find out some info regarding the Animal Science and Nutrition classes for a friend who is going to UF's vet school in the fall (she doesn't have internet yet!). She wants to work over the summer and is worried she won't be able to if she takes the 2 classes at UF....are they really time intensive at UF? I'm thinking it would be easier to work and take the online classes. Any advice?

Also, can you register for the classes at Okalahoma anytime or are they on a semester basis? I tried calling the school and got transfered around. No one knew anything about them! Is the application/registration process lengthy?
Also, the Okl. St. site had a list of fees but it didn't say which ones apply to the online classes. Does anyone know?
Thanks!
Jen

Also, can you register for the classes at Okalahoma anytime or are they on a semester basis? I tried calling the school and got transfered around. No one knew anything about them! Is the application/registration process lengthy?
Also, the Okl. St. site had a list of fees but it didn't say which ones apply to the online classes. Does anyone know?
Thanks!
Jen

call 405-744-6390 and they will square you away with everything you need to know.

Hi,
I'm trying to find out some info regarding the Animal Science and Nutrition classes for a friend who is going to UF's vet school in the fall (she doesn't have internet yet!). She wants to work over the summer and is worried she won't be able to if she takes the 2 classes at UF....are they really time intensive at UF? I'm thinking it would be easier to work and take the online classes. Any advice?

The classes are not that time consuming considering that the classes are in the morning. She would be done by 11am so that she can work the afternoons and weekends. I guess it would be up to her if she'd rather have it in person or online.

Has anyone else who is taking the two courses at UF over the summer heard anything from them? I went there almost four weeks ago and they told me to expect an e-mail from them about signing up for classes.

The only thing freaken me out is knowing that now I have to get the Rabies vaccs. Both my dislike of shots and my dislike of dropping that much money is getting to me! =P.

I got rabies vaccinated through work and the reaction to it varies person to person and shot to shot... The most common complaint is "flu-like symptoms." I personally reacted horribly to it. The first shot my body ached all over and I couldn't get out bed, the second I basically went into a flu-like coma for 2 days, and the 3rd I was fine. Almost everyone else I work with just had minor joint aches and pains or headaches. The aches are usually in your hip and shoulder of the same arm you're vaccinated in so don't get it in your dominant arm. Get it over with before you start school if you can... I can imagine it would make for a miserable first month of classes if you wait.

PS - Take 800mg of Ibuprofen about 2 hours before the vaccine and a few hours after. That helps a lot!

well, at least it's better than getting rabies....