Florida residency program thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedScuba

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I saw the thread about Chicago programs brought up and I had similar questions of Florida programs. I have heard a lot of things, mostly positive, about the Miami program but I haven’t really heard much about the other Florida programs like UF or USF. If anyone could provide some insight or feedback about these programs that would be terrific.

Members don't see this ad.

UF has lots of money and great facilities, but their greatest strengths are their chairman and movement disorders. They have strong faculty in basically every subspecialty. The program is not lacking anything in particular, but I don't think that they have a great pathway for neurologists interested in intervention. I think it would be a great place to train if you are ok with being in a college town. Residents seemed chill but I don't think they hang out with each other much outside of work.

Mayo Clinic is the fastest expanding neurology program out of all the neuro programs in Florida. Neuro is top dog at Mayo in FL and Mayo Clinic is pumping a lot of money into the FL campus. It's also the most unique program in FL since you get both experience of being in a community program AND in a big academic program.