Florida State University Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll be living in the splendor of Villa Conradi... and I'm being sarcastic when I say that. I have to tell myself that it's a single, it's cheap, and it's literally across the street from the med school, and I'll have to forget that I'm getting what I pay for as far as quality. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey There people:

I'm officially on HOLD list (FSU's term for WaitList). :confused:

But, I'm hoping big time to get off the wait-list and leave South America to come home for medschool! It opened up April 15th (16 days ago), so I hear, so, another 27 days to possibly hear back. I know, Im a nerd for counting. Hold your tongues.

Anyone else who's waitlisted ... FYI ... 90 got in off the WL last year, and the class was for 100 people. This years is for about 120 so I hear, so do the math! I suspect there should be a huge admit burst around May 15th when "back-up" kids accepted at FSU get in off other schools' WLs theyd rather go to. Not me! I want FSWho!

WISH US LUCK PEOPLE!!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey just a quick question...I've been accepted to both USF and FSU COM. I think I like FSU better...all except the whole 3rd and 4th year away rotations thing. My question is if you guys were accepted to both schools which would you go to and why? Thanks for ur help.

I would go to USF...but you should take my advice with a grain of salt, because I really wanted to go to USF and am still waitlisted. I think you should look at the community around the schools (USF is less 'college town' and tallahassee is like 1/3 college students). Also look at opportunities available at each school as well as the individual programs offered (USF has a strange 'block system' with anatomy nov thru march-ish and starts 3rd year rotations at different times (sooner) than normal...FSU has the whole move after 2 years deal). You should go where you will be most happy and where you feel most comfortable. I truely do not believe that the difference between FSU and USF in program rank will make a difference in where you will end up in residency...so i would say go with your gut feeling on this one... I know it has got to be a tough decision, but its a good problem to have!

any other thougts usf vs fsu?

I am waitlisted at usf and on hold at fsu, and I would choose usf if fortunate enough to be accepted to both places. There's better clinical experience and tampa seems like a sweet place to live. If you are not sure which field you want to enter, usf is also a safer bet since they don't necessarily stress a certain field like fsu does for FM or other primary care fields. Not to knock on fsu, because I would be happy to go there if I got in.

does it really matter at this point? if you were accepted to both, you are probably holding the acceptance to only one of them now due to the early withdrawal deadline at FSU. in regards to which one i'd pick, i'd go for FSU. it's a nicer campus, and students seemed sincerely happy there, among other things.

Personally, I lived in Tampa for several years (middle school and first two years of HS) before moving to Jacksonville and I am not a fan of the city. Maybe it's the strip clubs every 1/8 of a mile but it just never seemed like a great place. My brother went to USF undergrad for a semester and he said it seemed like a commuter school. I've spent the last three years in Tallahassee and I actually like the place quite a bit. It all depends on what appeals to you. FSU does have the focus on rural and geriatric medicine, but if you look at the match lists there are plenty of future surgeons in there. The rotations may seem a bit odd but if you think about it, less medical students in one place means greater opportunity to have more experiences. PLUS you get a tablet pc and a pda if you go to FSU.

does it really matter at this point? if you were accepted to both, you are probably holding the acceptance to only one of them now due to the early withdrawal deadline at FSU. in regards to which one i'd pick, i'd go for FSU. it's a nicer campus, and students seemed sincerely happy there, among other things.

It does matter. I've been accepted at FSU since march, but just last week received an acceptance off the waitlist from USF. I already have a place in tallahasse since I thought I would be going there...sharing with my sister. BTW bc I got my usf acceptance after april 20th I have til may 15 to decide.
I appreciate all of the thoughts and comments.

AND TODAY IS MAY 15th, WOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :hardy:

That means everyone is gonna be dropping to 1 acceptance cross country, which means FSU's hold list should start moving again, fast. :thumbup:

BUMP, BUMP for MAY 15th! :smuggrin:

Has anyone sent in their immunization information as copies of forms received when you were in middle school? Does FSU accept records in this format or must you go get their form filled out and signed by a physician?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone sent in their immunization information as copies of forms received when you were in middle school? Does FSU accept records in this format or must you go get their form filled out and signed by a physician?

I think you need to send in both the middle school records for some of the immunizations like the measels, and I'm 99% sure you have to get the online forms signed by your family doctor (you need a physical so you can just bring in those immunization forms and get those signed, too).

I think you need to send in both the middle school records for some of the immunizations like the measels, and I'm 99% sure you have to get the online forms signed by your family doctor (you need a physical so you can just bring in those immunization forms and get those signed, too).

except that i dont have a family physician and i had to go to a low cost clinic for the physical...seems like i am doing everything wrong with fsu...:eek:

I called today and in case anyone else has the same question at some point... the immunizations do not have to be on the FSU paperwork...any records with an authorized signature and office stamp are acceptable. :)

I feel like a slacker already. My lab work (titers) has taken 3 weeks so far, and still nothing! Am worried doctor lost it. Also, tried to fill out FAFSA for first time, and must hve done something wrong, since it lists an EFC. Should be 0 for med students, right? Well, now I have to wait for it to process to make any changes. Ugh! Would really like to get all those checklists filled out!

I feel like a slacker already. My lab work (titers) has taken 3 weeks so far, and still nothing! Am worried doctor lost it. Also, tried to fill out FAFSA for first time, and must hve done something wrong, since it lists an EFC. Should be 0 for med students, right? Well, now I have to wait for it to process to make any changes. Ugh! Would really like to get all those checklists filled out!

so do I...I emailed Melissa Oglesby and she told me that she will still register me without the titer information (the health department told me it wont be in till mid-june). I still havent even had my 2nd tb done...and havent sent in records for half of my shots or insurance! :eek: I cant even log onto their checklist for some reason so i dont know if they have what i have sent or not:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Did you make sure to check the box that says 'will you be attending graduate school' that is what makes efc to go 0.

Pretty enjoyable actually, it went by really fast. I wish I had gotten to dissect this week but it is what it is.

I got first cut! Other than that, major panic after realizing the depth of the material (and necessary speed) to learn it

What letters of recommendation did you guys need to turn in? I want to go to fsu, but the admissions page says they want 3 letters (2 from science faculty, and 1 from non science), but the FAQ page says they want 4 letters and they do not specify which ones.. if you guys can respond, i'll really appreciate it! thanks

What letters of recommendation did you guys need to turn in? I want to go to fsu, but the admissions page says they want 3 letters (2 from science faculty, and 1 from non science), but the FAQ page says they want 4 letters and they do not specify which ones.. if you guys can respond, i'll really appreciate it! thanks

I think there is a peer letter too....?

Approximately what time segment is given for interviews at FSU? I know this is more of a premed question, but I would imagine the best people to ask would be those who've already gone through the process. On the FSU site Sept. through March is the broad etimate. Since I'll be out of town for a few weeks, I wouldn't want to miss possible invites and interviews, so I'm wondering if Regular Admissions applicants are typically interviewed in the fall months or in the Winter/Spring.

Also, I've read that many are put on waiting lists. Any way of finding out just how many are accepted outright vs. those who have to wait it out until March? Thanks for all your time and Congratulations!