Florida State University College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrS

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello out there. Are there any Florida State medical school students out there? If so how do you like the school? How do you feel in relation to your friends at other medical schools in terms of education, PBL, early clinical experience, happiness, etc. ? And for those who are not students of Florida State have you heard anything about the medical school? I went on an interview there and I was truly impressed. I would just like to know more about the school from medical school students. Thanks.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Im florida resident applying to med school this summer. I was curious your impressions of FSU's new school. How many student do they have? How do you feel about going to a school that is so new?

FSU is a great school. It's a shame more students do not know more about FSU. I, myself, went to my FSU interview not expecting much, but their school, students, faculty, really impressed me.
FSU is a new school (only 3 yrs old) and should be considered more by students who are applying. They offer way more clinical experience (from day 1) than UF and even prepare students for the USMLE by their class exams and they give students time off to study for the USMLE. For a new medical school, they have alot to be proud of. For anyone who has visited USF, FSU is very similar.
They have about 50 students, each year they add more. Even though the school is new, they are well established with their curriculum. I prefer it over alot of other schools that have been around for a while.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has FSU been accredited by AMA ?.. last I heard they were still having problems with AMA.. just something to look into..

Originally posted by kornphan
Has FSU been accredited by AMA ?.. last I heard they were still having problems with AMA.. just something to look into..

I believe they received a provisional accredidation.

Hello! I am an MS 2 at FSU COM. I am so glad to hear that people are getting good impressions at interviews. Some responses to the questions:
  • We are accredited. It is provisional accreditation and that will become full accreditation when the first class graudates in 2005
  • Clinical experience: we do get a LOT, with real patients, standardized patients plus in service work, like mission trips and community free clinics
  • USMLE: We have great professors who want us to do well on the USMLE and know what we will see in the clinics. They all have an open door policy - that's true for the administration too
Go Noles!

Hello gang,
I am only an MS1 but i will tell you what i know...
First i will start with the few negatives that are very minor:
-classes begin for the first year durring the summer. So no big vacation for you guys
-the current building that classes are held in is a renovated high school...so the outside looks pretty rough, but sharp interiors, etc.
-tallahassee is not the largest city in Florida...in other words, it is not miami or orlando size...so there is less to do up here
-no hospital next to campus...
-more males in the class than females...

now for the positive:
-the administration really cares how you do...if we dont succeed then the program will not get well established. I have actually seen the assistant dean get a little teary eyed over some issues...
-small class size for now...first class had 30 students, 2nd had 40, the next is expected to have 50+. We are one big and fairly happy family. There is no one up here who people dislike and many of us get together to go out on the weekends and play sports together
-they give us laptops and palms...so we can post on SDN while in class...as i am doing now.
-the professors and administrator listen to input that we tell them...to make improvements for our class and for the next...
-our schedule is the best in the state...summer class was from
1-3pm or 3:30. Fall is little worse..1-4:30 4 days a week and 9-3:30 one day a week. So we have time to study.
-we have a one on one preceptor every other week, and the simulated clinical training the following week.
-you have the option of doing your 3rd and 4th yr in orlando, pensacola or tallahassee so you have flexibility of location.
- Blame it on the nurse attends FSU...

Yo Blame!! Its nice to have you back! I just wanted to holla out that I think you're signature is hilarious. :laugh: Looks like med school's amplified your sense of humor. ;) take it easy.

Thanks for all the information. Keep posting ;)

Lady buggie...nice to see you took a peak to read the posts...

DrS- Where are u from? Any specific questions?

Holy ****! Blame's alive!!!!!!:clap: :clap: How's it going, babe? I haven't talked to you in ages.:eek: Hope life's treating you well cause I'm dying right now. I haven't had much sleep this week. I've been preparing for a monster final for tomorrow. Oh, God help me.:( But, at least spring break starts right after the damn final.:clap: ;)

cane,
life up here is a breeze...still wish i could have gone to miami at times....but when i hear its is hell in miami... i think twice. How do they grade up there...pass/fail?

Miami is hell?:confused: Who told you this? Miami is great! Sure, it can get intense at times, but isn't this normal for ANY medical school? I'm having a blast here. :cool: The grading scale is a bit tough though. Every class gets graded pass/fail, but your percentile score is also reported. So, if you scored an 85% for a final in which your entire grade was based on then you got an 85% in that class. That's the way it goes, but I'm getting along so well with my classmates and am having so much fun that I can easily put up with this aspect of medical school.:D

DrS- Where are u from? Any specific questions? [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi
I wanted to know how to FSU students feel about the USMLE (step one and two). How do you feel that you have been prepared or will be prepared for it?
What about 3rd and 4th year rotations? Will the students encounter any difficulty being so far away from the main campus?
What is the schedule of a 2nd year student like?
How do you feel about your education in comparison to students at other medical schools?
When will students start their rotations in Jacksonville?
How is the relationship between students and their professors?
How do you feel about using a laptop for a microscope instead of using a real microscope and real slides? That is one thing that concerns me.
What about residency? I have heard that it may be hard to get into a good residency if a school is not well known. Is this just a rumor? Have students expressed concern over getting into a top residency of their choice.
That's all the questions I have for now. Thank you so much for your time :)

Keep the posts coming :) ;)

I wanted to know how to FSU students feel about the USMLE (step one and two). How do you feel that you have been prepared or will be prepared for it?
We have yr 1 and 2 professors who write board questions. Plus all the faculty want the school to be really successful, so they try to emphasize what is key to know for boards/clinicals. I am confident that the faculty has basically done their part, now, just like any other school I have got to do mine and study hard.

What about 3rd and 4th year rotations? Will the students encounter any difficulty being so far away from the main campus?
Every campus has its own dean, support staff, wireless internet, and student lounge. Having the different campuses allows people to choose where their personalities fit in during clinicals.

What is the schedule of a 2nd year student like?
we have class from 8 or 9 AM till noon. Then one afternoon per week we have small group for 3 hours, and one afternoon we have sessions with standardized patients OR with a community preceptor.

How do you feel about your education in comparison to students at other medical schools? How is the relationship between students and their professors?
I think it is equivalent or better - plus we have the most supportive/nicest administration. Recently the Dean groups of 4 or 5 students over for dinner; all of the deans and faculty have an open door policy. Most of our teachers know us all by name. Some students even go running with faculty.

How do you feel about using a laptop for a microscope instead of using a real microscope and real slides? That is one thing that concerns me.
Don't be concerned. Online is so much better. There are no problems with not enough slides for everyone, or broken microscopes, or your eyes getting tired. Adding the technology means everyone has access to the same material, and you can look at it in your pajamas at 3 AM.

What about residency? I have heard that it may be hard to get into a good residency if a school is not well known. Is this just a rumor? Have students expressed concern over getting into a top residency of their choice.
It's just too early to tell. Worrying about it doesn't do any good: "Worrying does not take the troubles from tomorrow, it takes the strength from today." If you want a top residency in your field or to get into a really tough field, you have to do at FSU what you would do anywhere else - study hard in years 1 and 2 so you rock step one, then get awesome clinical evaluations in year 3. Plus, meet people in your field of interest (make connections) and do electives during 4th year at the programs you like.

Good luck! MS II FSU COM

I have heard that Florida State may lose their accredidation. Is that still up in the air? I heard this from a guy who did his undergrad and played football for Florida State and then decided to come to Georgia to go to medical school. Let me know if you know anything about that....

On the subject of PBL, we do that here, at Mercer University School of Medicine. We're a small school, but we are under a "pure" PBL curriculem and also study our subjects by organ systems. For example, we get a 6 week phase of cardiology during our second year that covers the biochemistry, physiology, pharmacology, pathology, etc that pertains to the cardiovascular system. It seems to work. We have a 100% pass rate for Step 1. Also, our average is always about 10 points higher than the national average. We don't receive grades on our transcript, so these USMLE scores are important. However, we only get about 5-6 weeks to study for the boards. Our curriculum is simply too difficult to try to review for boards and do well on the examinations at the same time. Luckily, every single test we take is a multi-displinary exam. We have been doing questions written in USMLE style format for the past two years, so maybe that plays a role as well. So, I'm not sure if PBL is the reason we're successful or if it is something else, but I think that it has contributed at the very least. My only complaint is that SOMETIMES it WOULD be nice to have classes. We have no lectures. How this compares to Fl State, I am not sure...

We are still accredited down here at FSU! The LCME will visit us here every year until the Class of 2005 graduates - then we can get full accreditation and will be eligible for visits every 7 years. One school that is having problems with accreditation is Temple.

As for PBL and blocks...in second year we are in organ based as well - in every unit we do all the path/radiology/pathophys/micro/pharm/clinical assessment. Then a block/integrated exam. Part of our learning is path small groups/clinical cases/PBL but we still have plenty of lectures. Our teachers, overall, are good lecturers and keep the small groups interesting. We get a little over 4 weeks of step one review time. Our questions are USMLE style - lots of clinical vignettes. I have even heard that soon they may try to go to online testing, like the USMLE.

Attention FSU medical students!! Thought I would resurrect this thread. Any updates since 2003?

^Go die in a ditch please

Reactions: 1 user