Fluctuations in academic record/additional info-- secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gmianosi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some schools ask to explain any fluctuations in my academic record or provide them with additional information. I got a 511 the first time I took my MCAT, improved it to a 522 the second time. I think I didn't do so well the first time because I studied really hard to get a good grade, and ended up burning out. Everyone recommended I don't take it again, but I didn't exactly listen... Taking it the second time, I was studying with the goal of learning the material, not to do super well on the exam.

Should I try to explain this in that section? Or would it be better to just not mention it?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools ask to explain any fluctuations in my academic record or provide them with additional information. I got a 511 the first time I took my MCAT, improved it to a 522 the second time. I think I didn't do so well the first time because I studied really hard to get a good grade, and ended up burning out. Everyone recommended I don't take it again, but I didn't exactly listen... Taking it the second time, I was studying with the goal of learning the material, not to do super well on the exam.

Should I try to explain this in that section? Or would it be better to just not mention it?

85th percentile = "didn't do so well"

Much SDN. So wow.

Edit: No, I don't think it'll be a problem for your top schools. Maybe WashU. I can see them caring about that for some reason.

Reactions: 1 user
Alright, thanks. So it isn't a big enough of a thing to affect my chances with top schools?

Depends on the school. An 11-point improvement is pretty remarkable but schools may still average both scores for evaluation purposes (impossible to tell which school does it) so you're applying with a 516-517, which is still solid. Drawing attention to a 511 --> 522 is unnecessary and can actually be a red flag since it can suggest arrogance. Your scores speak for themselves so you should be fine.

By the way, the key to demolishing the MCAT is in fact learning the material well and mastering it. So getting a high score basically illustrates that. No need to discuss it.

85th percentile = "didn't do so well"

Much SDN. So wow.

Edit: No, I don't think it'll be a problem for your top schools. Maybe WashU. I can see them caring about that for some reason.

Sorry, I meant to say as well. A 511 is more than a respectable score.

But yeah, I was thinking the same. WashU is one of the only schools that straight up say they average MCAT scores on their website.

Depends on the school. An 11-point improvement is pretty remarkable but schools may still average both scores for evaluation purposes (impossible to tell which school does it) so you're applying with a 516-517, which is still solid. Drawing attention to a 511 --> 522 is unnecessary and can actually be a red flag since it can suggest arrogance. Your scores speak for themselves so you should be fine.

By the way, the key to demolishing the MCAT is in fact learning the material well and mastering it. So getting a high score basically illustrates that. No need to discuss it.

True, that's a really good point. Thanks!