Flying restrictions (carryons)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maestro1625

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so my eticket is telling me that all electronic devices are still banned from domestic flights (cell phones/iPods). Is this still up to date? Will I have to check my bag if I need to take my cell phone where I'm going for my interview?

...either way, we have become a nation of bedwetters.

Members don't see this ad.

It might be carrier-dependant, but I just flew Delta and had a cellphone on me. So did the majority of the plane.

oops... I was missing the top page I printed out... turns out that restriction is only for the UK.

...so it's the UK that's the nation of bedwetters. how nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
oops... I was missing the top page I printed out... turns out that restriction is only for the UK.

...so it's the UK that's the nation of bedwetters. how nice.
for some reason, i cracked up reading this and woke up my roommate. :laugh:

In the US electronic items, unless they are electronic, weapons are allowed.

i believe some of the lift has been lifted, that is you're allowed to carry liquid stuff but only if you put it all into a clear resealable bag or something. The flight I took a week ago, I made sure I didnt carry anything and just purchased small little travel things at CVS (the little test bottles for deodorant, toothpaste, axe body soap, etc.) Im sure you can find out online

Yeah, they're a bit more lenient now on the liquids/gels. You can take liquids/gels with you as long as they are 3 oz. or less and they all fit comfortably in a quart size or less ziplock bag. One airport I was at had me take out the ziplock bag and put it through the xray machine seperately from everything else. Another one didn't even ask if I had liquids and so I didn't even take it out of my bag.

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/threat-change.shtm

What I think they should do, is allow most liquids/gels on board placed into as many clear plastic containers as they need to hold, tag it, and stow it away until the flight is over and have it picked up either at baggage claim, or at the gate.

My dad had the best solution to ward off terrorists- he suggested that everyone should just sit naked on the plane. I think that in itself constitutes terrorism :laugh:

Why can't they restrict liquids/gels to FOUR-ounce containers? Is the extra ounce really substantially dangerous? Finding three-ounce containers is near impossible (trust me, I've tried a ton of stores). It's like the plastics industry got together and decided that the magic number for small bottles is four. Thus, I've found myself posed with a dilemma...

1) I check my bag and risk losing *everything* prior to my interview. So far, I'm 1-0, but I hate taking a silly risk.
2) I carry on my suit, check another bag with the liquids/gels in it, and lug around my briefcase. Honestly, though, three pieces? I can't quite jump on buses with an entire suitcase collection in tow...

I'm really just venting. There are some brands of things (saline, etc.) that you simply can't store in a third-party container; if the company doesn't produce a three-ounce bottle, you're screwed. I'm trying to sort all of this out before my next trip.

Someone should start a Facebook group: "Four ounces is better than three."

Why can't they restrict liquids/gels to FOUR-ounce containers? Is the extra ounce really substantially dangerous? Finding three-ounce containers is near impossible (trust me, I've tried a ton of stores). It's like the plastics industry got together and decided that the magic number for small bottles is four. Thus, I've found myself posed with a dilemma...

1) I check my bag and risk losing *everything* prior to my interview. So far, I'm 1-0, but I hate taking a silly risk.
2) I carry on my suit, check another bag with the liquids/gels in it, and lug around my briefcase. Honestly, though, three pieces? I can't quite jump on buses with an entire suitcase collection in tow...

I'm really just venting. There are some brands of things (saline, etc.) that you simply can't store in a third-party container; if the company doesn't produce a three-ounce bottle, you're screwed. I'm trying to sort all of this out before my next trip.

Someone should start a Facebook group: "Four ounces is better than three."

No it's not impossible to find containers smaller than three ounces. Just about everything is ranging from shampoo to deodorant. What I suggest is that you take stuff like gel that is in larger containers and put it into small shampoo bottles... Let's think here people.

...either way, we have become a nation of bedwetters.
I disagree. If it keeps me, my fellow travellers and most importantly my brother (pilot) safe, I am willing to go without the ipod.

What you have to realize is this: the reasons things are banned from flights (or things are screened more heavily, ie shoes) is because someone, sometime, somewhere (maybe not in the US, perhaps in the UK or Europe, or Egypt) tried to bring down, blow up, or hijack an aircraft with them.

Terrorism isn't going to go away just because we shut down one avenue of destruction-the terrorists are crafty, they will think of a new way to hurt others. We need to adapt to the ever changing threats, and keep our security screenings up to date.

Think of it this way: would you rather be alive (albeit bored with no ipod) or have your family devastated because you were killed in an airliner that crashed after being hijacked?

I'd check the bag if the restrictions are in place for your flight (remember it is ultimately up to the airline you are flying-they can't be less strict than the TSA but they can be more strict) put it in it's carrier and wrap a couple pairs of socks around it and it should be fine. Make sure that all the stuff you cannot live without is in your carryon (your interview clothes, underwear, etc) People once lived just fine without cell phones.

My dad had the best solution to ward off terrorists- he suggested that everyone should just sit naked on the plane.

He ripped that off from Stephen Colbert back when he was commentator for The Daily Show. Colbert said you then could further divide people, based on bodies, into "first class" and "coach". :)

He ripped that off from Stephen Colbert back when he was commentator for The Daily Show. Colbert said you then could further divide people, based on bodies, into "first class" and "coach". :)
Nah my dad is the old school fatherly type- we don't even have cable, and he watches boring stale stations that usually talk about politics, economy, etc. lol

I disagree. If it keeps me, my fellow travellers and most importantly my brother (pilot) safe, I am willing to go without the ipod.

What you have to realize is this: the reasons things are banned from flights (or things are screened more heavily, ie shoes) is because someone, sometime, somewhere (maybe not in the US, perhaps in the UK or Europe, or Egypt) tried to bring down, blow up, or hijack an aircraft with them.

Terrorism isn't going to go away just because we shut down one avenue of destruction-the terrorists are crafty, they will think of a new way to hurt others. We need to adapt to the ever changing threats, and keep our security screenings up to date.

Think of it this way: would you rather be alive (albeit bored with no ipod) or have your family devastated because you were killed in an airliner that crashed after being hijacked?

I'd check the bag if the restrictions are in place for your flight (remember it is ultimately up to the airline you are flying-they can't be less strict than the TSA but they can be more strict) put it in it's carrier and wrap a couple pairs of socks around it and it should be fine. Make sure that all the stuff you cannot live without is in your carryon (your interview clothes, underwear, etc) People once lived just fine without cell phones.

yes and terrorists are crafty: the TSA is not. New threats will always be around... and as someone said, eventually the only solution will be naked flights. Living in a free society involves an element of risk. you're more likley to die from the plane going down from "natural causes" than from terrorism.

You COULD be killed in a terrorist attack: better ban everything that possibly might have the potential to mabye cause harm.

you MIGHT get shot if you go into a bad neighborhood: Better never leave my nice safe suburban sprawl neighborhood.

you MAY end up catching an infectious disease in a hospital: Better not go into medicine.

/my nation of bedwetters comment still stands...especially in places where the threat of attack is least.

I'd rather live with an element of risk than spend my life tembling in useless fear.