Flying to Michigan for interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nomoreplz

just bustin' chops.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those that have done so, did you fly into Detroit or Ann Arbor? If you flew into Ann Arbor, on what airline?

Members don't see this ad.

For those that have done so, did you fly into Detroit or Ann Arbor? If you flew into Ann Arbor, on what airline?

Fly into Detroit. There are a lot more flights. I'm from Michigan, so trust me. It's not that far from Detroit to Ann Arbor, you can get a taxi or rent a car or something.

You will want to fly into Detroit or FLint. It is cheap to stay in FLint and your drive is only 30-40 minutes to Ann Arbor. You can't fly into Ann Arbor (unless you own a two seater).

Members don't see this ad :)
You will want to fly into Detroit or FLint. It is cheap to stay in FLint and your drive is only 30-40 minutes to Ann Arbor. You can't fly into Ann Arbor (unless you own a two seater).

:thumbdown: Flint. I would never stay there. Stay in Detroit or Ann Arbor.

If you use Northwest give yourself PLENTY of time before you call a taxi, or before you go back to the airport to go back home. The terminal is about 1 mile long and it takes about 20-30 min with all the people blocking you to get from one end to another! It is crazy! Most other airlines use the Smith Terminal which is much smaller! :)

If you use Northwest give yourself PLENTY of time before you call a taxi, or before you go back to the airport to go back home. The terminal is about 1 mile long and it takes about 20-30 min with all the people blocking you to get from one end to another! It is crazy! Most other airlines use the Smith Terminal which is much smaller! :)

It's not that bad!! They have the little train thing overhead but it moves so slow you might as well walk. But I agree, chances are you'll be at the farthest terminal, since nobody ever wants to be that far.

I always get blocked by the slow family that got there 5 hours in advance so they have time to stroll! I am normally cutting it close because I travel with my child and I would rather not sit at the airport longer than I have to. So I am the crazy lady with a jogging stroller running people over to get to my terminal! haha! :D

I always get blocked by the slow family that got there 5 hours in advance so they have time to stroll! I am normally cutting it close because I travel with my child and I would rather not sit at the airport longer than I have to. So I am the crazy lady with a jogging stroller running people over to get to my terminal! haha! :D

HAHAHAHA I can totally see someone doing that. That kind of reminds me of when I went to NYC for a week with my mom last year. She has a bad arm, so she can't pull/carry anything that weighs more than our dog (10-11lbs) with that hand. So imagine one relatively small girl dragging two 50lb suitcases, two of the biggest carry-ons that they allow into the passenger cabin, plus two purses and the plane tickets. I couldn't really steer so I had to keep yelling, "COMING THROUGH! MASSIVE LUGGAGE CARRIER! PLEASE MOVE!" It was even worse on the way home with all the **** we bought there.

You know, when you think about it, an airport is a really entertaining place.

Do a Priceline (or something like that) and check out the prices for various airlines. You will get the best prices with the larger city and you can add in the cost of a rental car to your ticket. Do beware that anything that routes you through O'Hare, Philadelphia, Atlanta or LaGuardia may cause delays so don't schedule your connecting flights too close. Allow plenty of time to make your connections. Flights get more delayed in the evening (and in bad weather).

Gate check your bag (carry-on is best) and don't carry any large tubes of toothpaste, hand lotion, or any liquids/gels or you cannot take your bag through security. Purchase the small travel-sizes (< 3.5 oz) and place these in a clear plastic bag. The lines to get through security can be long so again, allow plenty of time. I wear flip-flops so I can slip my feet in and out and not worry about laces.

Flights are also very full so one piece of carry-on baggage + purse/briefcase per person so don't bring too much.

Yeah that is class D airspace with 0 commercial flights. Detroit Metro Airport is not too far from UMich like others have said.