FM and PEM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree but the thing is they don’t. They are just being thrown under the bus by their speciality. If all of a sudden the internal medicine boards claimed you needed a fellowship to be a hospitalist we all would know it’s bull****. But what would any current resident do about it?
I feel like this scenario will happen w/in 5-10 years. I am hoping they will grandfather in physicians who have been working as hospitalists.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like this scenario will happen w/in 5-10 years. I am hoping they will grandfather in physicians who have been working as hospitalists.
I just don't see the point of a hospitalist fellowship. You spend the better part of three years during an IM residency seeing inpatients. It would be the same as if an EM doc did an urgent care fellowship.

I just don't see the point of a hospitalist fellowship. You spend the better part of three years during an IM residency seeing inpatients. It would be the same as if an EM doc did an urgent care fellowship.
Everyone agrees. The same should be applied to peds. The vast majority of their time is inpatient. If some hospitals have low census you can put a number on what you need in residency. I guarantee the busy pediatric county hospitals put up insane inpatient numbers over 3 years.