This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doohickey550

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

Is there a possible pathway from FM to pediatric EM (official or unofficial)? Say if I’d do lots of pediatric electives during FM residency and complete the EM fellowship, would pediatric emergency departments consider me for a job? Lots of pediatric ERs hire regular pediatricians, so would they be interested in someone with my background?

I would have done the usual route via pediatrics, but as of now, I am going to be trying to scramble into peds if I can, but FM as a backup.

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all.

Is there a possible pathway from FM to pediatric EM (official or unofficial)? Say if I’d do lots of pediatric electives during FM residency and complete the EM fellowship, would pediatric emergency departments consider me for a job? Lots of pediatric ERs hire regular pediatricians, so would they be interested in someone with my background?

I would have done the usual route via pediatrics, but as of now, I am going to be trying to scramble into peds if I can, but FM as a backup.

Thanks for any input.

If a PEM department was hurting enough for staffing, then yet they might hire you. You probably wouldn't have as many choices as a peds doc. I don't think you can get boarded in PEM from FM. Pretty sure EM or peds are the only paths. If a fellowship didn't fill they may consider taking you but would be tricky since you couldn't be boarded. Google up the ACGME guidelines and you'll find your answer.

But at this point, focus on getting a residency. I hope you get the peds spot you want. But the good news is that if you do FM you'll have more career choices than peds.

Hi all.

Thanks for any input.
Officially: no. PEM is a fellowship from pediatrics, med-peds, or EM, mostly filled by docs who did a pediatrics residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
As of right now there aren't any ACGME approved FM-->PEM pathways that offer you board certification/eligibility. With that said, with FM training you can work in an urgent care and see kids, as well as see adults, have a clinic, etc. Some places that are hurting for staffing will hire you to staff an ER where you do see kids and adults, but hiring FM trained attendings for dedicated PEM positions these days is practically un heard of.

Here’s an idea: move all of these EM threads to the EM forum. That’s where they belong.

Reactions: 1 user
OP is probably requesting a FM physicians perspective (whether or not they have personally acquired these jobs) as opposed to the typical lashing out on the EM forums. Otherwise I completely agree.

OP is probably requesting a FM physicians perspective (whether or not they have personally acquired these jobs) as opposed to the typical lashing out on the EM forums. Otherwise I completely agree.

Yeah I agree, I think a lot of us residents want to hear about all of the practice options in FM from the family medicine attending perspective.

"Typical lashing out"? We just don't tolerate fools too well, especially those trolling, or asking the same question, over and over, clearly showing that no effort was made to search for the exact thing.

"Typical lashing out"? We just don't tolerate fools too well, especially those trolling, or asking the same question, over and over, clearly showing that no effort was made to search for the exact thing.

don't feed the troll man.

Yes, lashing out. What’s with calling everyone a troll? Just a cool forum thing to do?

One of my colleagues (FM practicing EM and urgent care) covers peds EM half the month because they are super short staffed and the midlevels need a supervisor. It's possible to do.

I work FSED too where it's 70% peds and occasionally deliver babies.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. I greatly appreciate those who take the time to give helpful advice.

As for the others, I have hardly even looked at SDN since before medical school, but man, the anger and negativity from some posters is still as bad as ever. Wow.

Thanks for all the input. I greatly appreciate those who take the time to give helpful advice.

As for the others, I have hardly even looked at SDN since before medical school, but man, the anger and negativity from some posters is still as bad as ever. Wow.

I think it’s hilarious that you think there’s anything resembling anger or negativity in this thread. You definitely haven’t been on SDN in a while.

Reactions: 4 users