FMG/IMG-friendly programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agranulocytosis

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently studying for Step 1 and so I'm not looking for any "what are my chances" or anything of the sort. What I want to know is, are there any Ortho programs that typically do take IMG's, or if there are any IMG's currently in a program?

I know there won't be a lot of programs, and the ones that are available probably won't be University-affiliated because of my non-LCME school. So if I can apply to specific programs rather than wasting my time on a pipe-dream of matching into Northwestern Ortho while running the risk of not matching at all, I'd gladly go that route.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ortho isnt friendly to anyone :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I already did a search but I didn't see it on the first two pages. Guess I should try my luck and check ALL the pages in the search results.:oops:

I just remembered it as one of Debridement's finer moments.

I'm currently studying for Step 1 and so I'm not looking for any "what are my chances" or anything of the sort. What I want to know is, are there any Ortho programs that typically do take IMG's, or if there are any IMG's currently in a program?

I know there won't be a lot of programs, and the ones that are available probably won't be University-affiliated because of my non-LCME school. So if I can apply to specific programs rather than wasting my time on a pipe-dream of matching into Northwestern Ortho while running the risk of not matching at all, I'd gladly go that route.

Thanks!

I am from one of the Caribbean schools and in this year's match we had 3 people I know match into ortho. One went to University of South Alabama Hospitals, one went to New York Medical College/Brooklyn Queens Program, and one I don't know where he got in. So I guess it's possible but not easy by any stretch of imagination.

I don't know of any, but I refer you to this previous discussion.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=302111

After going through that thread I want to comment on something (regarding the prelim year):

I still don't think this will help you. You have to remember--there is a class of motivated and well-qualified applicants EVERY year. There is another batch of peppy whippersnappers right behind you.

Also, you will only be 3 months into your intern year when you have to apply. And like someone said, you may not even get to do ortho rotations. At the programs that I'm familiar with, prelim-surg interns don’t typically rotate on our service. Moreover, how are you going to take time off to interview? The reality is that you're not going to.

Nice advice. Too bad it's Bull!#@%.

I know because I'm doing a prelim year and just matched into ortho. At most programs, if you talk to the PD and explain the situation, they are happy to schedule you into ortho during July/August. Plenty of time to get LOR's. At most programs, you also get a couple weeks of vacation. I used mine during January to go on interviews.

Don't get me wrong, no matter where you go, prelim years suuck. But if you work hard and maintain a good attitude it IS possible.

Don't get me wrong, no matter where you go, prelim years suuck. But if you work hard and maintain a good attitude it IS possible.

Yeah, and also pretty f-ing rare.

So did you:

(1) Get your prelim program to work your schedule so that you fulfilled all the ACGME-required intern rotations, or

(2) get matched into a PGY-2 slot and have to do a "resintern" year?

Yeah, and also pretty f-ing rare.

So did you:

(1) Get your prelim program to work your schedule so that you fulfilled all the ACGME-required intern rotations, or

(2) get matched into a PGY-2 slot and have to do a "resintern" year?

Yeah, it is but I was one of the lucky ones (for whatever reason).

It's a PGY1 slot that I matched into. Pretty sure I have to do remedial internship next year, but could care less.

Yeah, it is but I was one of the lucky ones (for whatever reason).

It's a PGY1 slot that I matched into. Pretty sure I have to do remedial internship next year, but could care less.

OMG lmao... That pic is hilarious! Absolutely amazing :D

Last edited by a moderator: