Non US IMG residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yuio294

Reaction score
Hi this is my first time on SD. I'm currently a final year medical student who will be graduating this summer and starting work this August in a renowned hospital. I was wondering if I could get some advice on applying/matching into residency in the US. I graduated from a renowned London based medical school and have completed an observsership at a world renowned hospital in New York in Orthopaedics. I was wondering what are the sort of odds of matching to general surgery or orthopaedics (I know this is super competitive).

I've yet to sit the USMLE as I wasn't sure whether to take it if residency is gonna be impossible. So was also wondering on advice for the next steps to take in terms of a timeframe.

I have 4 publications and 6 poster presentations and an additional degree with several research experiences, a previous job as an anatomy(dissection tutor) and have held numerous leadership positions in addition to sporting achievements.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Thanks for the reply, with strong USMLE scores do you think I have a fair shot or should I choose a different specialty?

Thanks
I advise almost everyone applying to ortho to have a backup plan, it's hard to get into

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Slightly confused as to your timeline. You said you are a last year medical student and will be working at a hospital in August? I assume you mean if you get accepted into residency?

Also, you haven’t taken any of your board exams? If you want to have a shot at orthopedics, you need to take the board exams, and soon. Third-year medical students are taking Step 2 right now (maybe not with COVID) for next year’s ERAS application cycle.

At this point, you are likely at least two years away from applying for residency which isn’t going to be looked upon favorably if you are out of medical school for 2-3 years before applying.

In this years orthopedic match, there was 5 US IMG and 7 non-US IMG that matched.

Long story short, as @sb247 said, there is always a chance, but I would say that they are low. They are zero without both step 1 and 2 though.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do and always have a back up plan when applying ortho.

Last edited:
Slightly confused as to your timeline. You said you are a last year medical student and will be working at a hospital in August? I assume you mean if you get accepted into residency?

Also, you haven’t taken any of your board exams? If you want to have a shot at orthopedics, you need to take the board exams, and soon. Third-year medical students are taking Step 2 right now (maybe not with COVID) for next year’s ERAS application cycle.

At this point, you are likely at least two years away from applying for residency which isn’t going to be looked upon favorably if you are out of medical school for 2-3 years before applying.

In this years orthopedic match, there was 5 US IMG and 7 non-US IMG that matched.

Long story short, as @sb247 said, there is always a chance, but I would say that they are low. They are zero without both step 1 and 2 though.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do and always have a back up plan when applying ortho.
[/QUOTE

Hi, thanks for the reply! So I'm in the UK and we just graduated and immediately start work this August which was all applied for and sorted during the previous few months. So I'm aiming to apply just after summer 2021 when I would've been out of university for a year.

I believe you can get a spot in the following way: Away rotations are extremely important in Orthopedics. If you can do as many away rotations as possible at programs of interest while casting an excellent, personable impression, you may have a chance. Of course, doing well on Step 2 will be vital (Step 1 pass/fail soon). Good luck!