FMG/IMG terminology question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stherling

stherling
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused. People seem to use IMG/FMG interchangeably. Do they mean the same thing?

Also, I'm an international student starting med sch in the US this fall. Will I be considered an IMG/FMG when I am applying to residencies, or will I be considered the same as other US grads?

Members don't see this ad.

IMG=FMG
I personally think that IMG sounds more favorable and that is why some people use it.
If you are a non-US citizen but graduate from a US school you will be considered a US grad. You will not be an IMG/FMG as it stands for International/Foreign Medical Graduate.
You will be at a great advantage over IMG/FMGs when you apply to residency. There might be some issues if you have to be sponsered for a visa but it shouldn't be a big deal since you have already been here, etc.

Good Luck and have fun.

Ive seen this several times and I dont think there is a correct answer. I am a US citizen born in the US. I did my med school in Europe. I usually use the term IMG. FMG is the older term used, and to some folks may have a negative connatation to it. Even if you are foreigner attending a US medical school you are in much better position for postgrad education spots. Just dont take it for granted and screw around on your boards. Many IMG's have stellar scores and will be breathing down your back, so as long as you score 220+ on the boards, you are in great shape. Congrats on starting med school. GL.

the terms FMG and AMG were used previously to describe foreigners and americans who graduated from foreign med schools. however, in the last few years the term IMG has been used instead for both groups of international grads.