Food/drinks during MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonoz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what kind of food and drinks should you consumed before and during the breaks of the MCAT?

Also, are we allowed to bring any kind of notecards with us so we can review stuff during the breaks?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i'd like to know this as well.

I'd want something that would give me an energy boost (glucose), but not too heavy so that I would be put to sleep (insulin). Also, I would be really wary about drinking anything that day because I tend to go to the washroom a lot if I do...

Okay, this kinda sounds stupid, but I heard somewhere back in my life that you brain works better when dehydrated. I know physiologically that this is WRONG. But what if I'm not talking about desert dehydration, but just like not drink water during the entire test dehydration?

My worst test distractions are bowel movements (from milk and oats) and washroom breaks....

Members don't see this ad :)
Glucose + Fiber = Extended-Release Energy

Honey Bunches of Oats, Granola Bars, Mini-Wheats, etc.

Some Vitamin B12 could also help. You can get it from eggs or milk.

You don't want stuff like Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Aunt Jemima Pancakes with 10 pounds of syrup, or chocolate bars. Those will make your blood glucose go up and down and you'll be diabetic by the time the test is over.

You shouldn't over-stress about the food though, just make sure you're not fatigued/hungry during the test. Practice your test routine with AAMC tests if you can before the test.

Last edited:
How about keeping it simple with a bit of an apple and a banana, a sip of water or gatorade, and if I am really tired maybe a sip or two of Red Bull followed by some mango juice to wash down the taste of it?

No study materials in the testing center and you can't leave until your done with the test. Trust me its better to relax during the breaks than cram.
00.gif

don't rely on having something to eat during the exam. at my test center, they asked you to leave the building if you wanted to eat or drink anything.. yeah right! we were on the 3rd floor (i think) and i had no watch - no way was I letting the testing room out of my sight!
i was too nervous to eat during breaks anyways. most i did was covertly swig some coke from my locker. if you have breakfast/lunch beforehand, not eating anything substantial for 4 hours is neither going to kill you nor starve your brain..