For an IMG to become licensed , he has to (READ DETAILS) ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nxmeless

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
He has to complete 1-3 years of residency or years of practice outside of the U.S. or Canada before applying for a license ? I dont understand what that means. I mean , dont they apply for a license after they finish their medical residency ? I read that from AMA's website and i dont understand what they mean by 1-3 years of residency. Aren't these the steps to become a licensed physician in the US (for IMGs) :
ECFMG certification , THEN residency match , THEN applying for a license and board certification ? If not , please tell me how its done.

Members don't see this ad.

He has to complete 1-3 years of residency or years of practice outside of the U.S. or Canada before applying for a license ? I dont understand what that means. I mean , dont they apply for a license after they finish their medical residency ? I read that from AMA's website and i dont understand what they mean by 1-3 years of residency. Aren't these the steps to become a licensed physician in the US (for IMGs) :
ECFMG certification , THEN residency match , THEN applying for a license and board certification ? If not , please tell me how its done.
ECFMG certification, THEN residency match, THEN after 2-3 years of residency (1 only in Georgia for only certain IMGs) and you can get a license. Becoming licensed in most states does not require the completion of a full residency. You could do 3 years of a general surgery program that you then resign from and theoretically could be licensed in all 50 states. You wouldn't have too many job prospects, but you could (for example) work independently in an urgent care facility.

Becoming board certified on the other hand DOES require the completion of a full residency. That's 3 years for internal medicine or 5 years for general surgery etc, etc, etc.

ECFMG certification, THEN residency match, THEN after 2-3 years of residency (1 only in Georgia for only certain IMGs) and you can get a license. Becoming licensed in most states does not require the completion of a full residency. You could do 3 years of a general surgery program that you then resign from and theoretically could be licensed in all 50 states. You wouldn't have too many job prospects, but you could (for example) work independently in an urgent care facility.

Becoming board certified on the other hand DOES require the completion of a full residency. That's 3 years for internal medicine or 5 years for general surgery etc, etc, etc.
Okay thanks !

And good luck getting hired without board eligibility or board certification which requires completion of residency.

Reactions: 1 user