For anyone in the market for an SP4..just got one for $749

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItsATrap!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've been heavily debating between a Surface Pro 4 and a MacBook. After spending about 2 hours in Best Buy debating over the two, I settled on the SP4.

Well, I went to purchase it yesterday, and the price on Friday when I had looked at them was $999. It is now $849 on bestbuy.com.

Now, if you sign up for a Best Buy College Deals (google Best Buy College Deals; it will take you to the sign up page), there is a coupon good for $100 off either an Apple Computer or any of the Microsoft Surface Products. The coupon ended up knocking down the purchase price of my computer to $749.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Oh, the coupon is also good until July 9th! Bonus.

Members don't see this ad :)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    258.6 KB · Views: 100
I never get cell service by the river anyways...
Probably because planet Dac doesn't have cellphones and I'm amphibious.

On a serious note, there is also a coupon for the MacBook's for $100 off and those should be coming down in price soon because of the Apple conference this week. Who knows.

Reactions: 1 user
Specs on your surface? Nice find, by the way.

Specs on your surface? Nice find, by the way.

I just got the 128gb I5. I have had it for a little over a week now and I really like it. The keyboard takes a little while to get used to, but other than that, the screen resolution is awesome and it is very responsive.

Just picked one up last night! I5 256 for 1050, are any of you guys getting a square trade warranty?

Just picked one up last night! I5 256 for 1050, are any of you guys getting a square trade warranty?
I've heard it's a good idea, but I was also thinking of getting Microsofts warranty. It's the same scope as a square trade, but it's 50 dollars less and you can of course take it to a Microsoft store if you need to fulfill it.

I've heard it's a good idea, but I was also thinking of getting Microsofts warranty. It's the same scope as a square trade, but it's 50 dollars less and you can of course take it to a Microsoft store if you need to fulfill it.

IMHO main point of SP4 is a PEN experience - basically you can use it as a digital paper with one-click screenshot insert to Onenote, pdf easy annotations, drawing board and many other cool things. However, to comfortably do so and keep numerous browser pages open (like we all do) you NEED 8Gb RAM, otherwise it will slow down with 4Gb and ruin the experience. As a bonus - with 8Gb comes much faster 256Gb SSD (like 2-3 times faster than 128Gb version). So just spend another $150-200 for 8Gb version to avoid disappointments in future.

IMHO main point of SP4 is a PEN experience - basically you can use it as a digital paper with one-click screenshot insert to Onenote, pdf easy annotations, drawing board and many other cool things. However, to comfortably do so and keep numerous browser pages open (like we all do) you NEED 8Gb RAM, otherwise it will slow down with 4Gb and ruin the experience. As a bonus - with 8Gb comes much faster 256Gb SSD (like 2-3 times faster than 128Gb version). So just spend another $150-200 for 8Gb version to avoid disappointments in future.

I haven't messed around with the SP3, but the SP4 is awesome! It took some getting used to, and the only thing that I don't like about it is that it is going to be a lot of investment. I want to pick up the surface dock next but I will probably wait till i move in to pick it up.

I took it to the Microsoft store to get Microsoft complete. Cost 150 (and they do have a package for a type cover, one year of office, and a case for 299). They didn't match amazon's type cover price but I went to Best Buy and they did it. Now I'm just perusing ebay for a surface dock.

I haven't messed around with the SP3, but the SP4 is awesome! It took some getting used to, and the only thing that I don't like about it is that it is going to be a lot of investment. I want to pick up the surface dock next but I will probably wait till i move in to pick it up.

I took it to the Microsoft store to get Microsoft complete. Cost 150 (and they do have a package for a type cover, one year of office, and a case for 299). They didn't match amazon's type cover price but I went to Best Buy and they did it. Now I'm just perusing ebay for a surface dock.
I was going to get the dock for the SP4 but I saw some people online were having issues with it. I instead just bought a mini display port to HDMI cable and a Usb port multiplier off of Amazon for $20 total and it works just as well as the dock for me

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely agree with this. Plus the 8 GB future proofs it to a degree. You'll get way more usage out of that model than the 4gb. Worth every penny for those upgrades.

Is Surface Pro 3 4gb ram good enough for me? I can't afford Surface Pro 4 atm, and I'm not looking to do anything heavy with the tablet anyway. But I found someone on craigslist selling it for $525.

Actually, if I recently bought a laptop, is it really worth buying a tablet?

Last edited:
Is Surface Pro 3 4gb ram good enough for me? I can't afford Surface Pro 4 atm, and I'm not looking to do anything heavy with the tablet anyway. But I found someone on craigslist selling it for $525.
There's one with 8Gb ram on amazon for $599 + $6.5 shipping the one from H-town Discount - it comes with keyboard case too. Just avoid "just launched sellers" - those are scam.

There's one with 8Gb ram on amazon for $599 + $6.5 shipping the one from H-town Discount - it comes with keyboard case too. Just avoid "just launched sellers" - those are scam.

Cool! Thanks for the heads up! Will look into it!