For med students only please...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedstudent1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I don't hate biology and in the mean time I am too fond about it, I can enjoy it as a major just like any other. What are the advantages of majoring in biology considering all things equal? Would it help me in med school? What do you guys think about psychobiology or biopsychology?

Members don't see this ad.

Pure bio as such is not any more of an advantage than anything else. I double majored in French and History, and I'm now an MSII. If nothing else, a 'different' major will give you somthing interesting to talk about on the interview trail. Study whatever you're interested in because in the long run, that might be the only time you'll get to take a lot of classesin that subject matter. There will be a lifetime of science to learn, but you might never again get formal instruction in 18th century French novels or philosophy, or journalism, or whatever floats your boat. Plus, by majoring in somthing else, you just might find something you like even more than you think you'll like medicine.

I've never heard of "psychobiolgy" or "biopsych", whatever they may be. The classes that might help you in medschool are biochem and genetics, and only in the sense that they give you some broad exposure to things you'll see again in medschool. Plant bio or invertebrate bio? not too useful in medschool, though you'll be the only one in the class to know what Wuchereria Bancrofti is (don't want that bad boy in an inguinal lymph node!).

Hi all,
I don't hate biology and in the mean time I am too fond about it, I can enjoy it as a major just like any other. What are the advantages of majoring in biology considering all things equal? Would it help me in med school? What do you guys think about psychobiology or biopsychology?
If you want to do biopsych instead of bio, go for it. Seriously, major in whatever you want. As long as you pull the grades and you complete all the prereqs, it doesn't matter what you major in.

Members don't see this ad :)
advantage of biology is that the major requirements are aligned with the prereq requirements for med school.

the disadvantage is that everyone is a bio major.

in the end, it doesn't matter.

Do what you want.

If you want to do biopsych instead of bio, go for it. Seriously, major in whatever you want. As long as you pull the grades and you complete all the prereqs, it doesn't matter what you major in.

I couldn't agree more. :thumbup: