For the Scramblers (past and current)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moxxie

Rained out
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought that I'd start a thread about the scramble so that those who have gone through or are going through the process can share their experiences.

In my case, I was surprised and unprepared to have to scramble, as were most of my preceptors/letter writers. I have a very competitive CV (one preceptor remarked to me "This is the best CV I have ever seen from a pharmacy student") lots of local and national involvement in pharmacy organizations, solid recommendations, but only a 3.42 GPA. I felt that my interviews went well and received positive feedback afterwards from each residency director. I ranked two competitive programs and one newer program (which I will admit was my backup - I thought that I was a shoe-in there). Perhaps I was too confident, had a sub-standard GPA, or should have ranked programs differently, but whatever the case may be, I find myself now in the position that ~1100 other prospective residents are in right now.

After I found out my results, I immediately scanned the list of programs with openings and found 3 potential programs to apply to. I sent each one a letter of intent via e-mail and my CV. Fortunately, I was at least somewhat familiar with each program because I either knew someone who worked there, had looked into the program earlier, or knew a previous resident. I had not applied to these programs because they were not in my desired geographic area, or in one case, because I had not looked enough into one program ahead of time (in retrospect, I wish that I had applied to this program initially).

I also immediately networked with everyone that I knew associated with these programs - a friend who works for one company (who was able to recommend me in person to the residency director), one of the new residents who was chosen for the program, and a couple of people who knew details about the third residency but do not work there. By the end of the day yesterday, I had one firm interview invite, another tentative based on letters of recommendation that should be sent in by this morning, and received a reply from the third residency director that they had already filled the spot.

If this thread doesn't die I'll keep you updated on what happens. If anyone else is in the same boat (or was in previous years), please share what you're going through!

P.S. I don't want this thread to become a discussion from the newly matched residents about how they are awesome and those of us who didn't match aren't. I've received feedback from multiple people that not matching does not mean that we are undesirable candidates. Don't kick us while we're down.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Its great that you have connections at programs on the scramble list, I bet the majority of people scrambling aren't so fortunate. In the meantime I would go over potential interview questions like why you are interested in their program now and why you didn't apply there initially, I'm guessing these will likely be asked and you don't want to be caught off-guard.

Good luck.

Its great that you have connections at programs on the scramble list, I bet the majority of people scrambling aren't so fortunate. In the meantime I would go over potential interview questions like why you are interested in their program now and why you didn't apply there initially, I'm guessing these will likely be asked and you don't want to be caught off-guard.

Good luck.

Those are exactly the questions that I know that I'll have to answer. And as to how I have some connections, the main reason is because of APhA. People can be haters all they want on the organization, but being involved has led to a lot of friendships and life-long networking opportunities for me and for many other people.

Members don't see this ad :)
My scramble experience has been a bit different. I, like you, did not expect to have to scramble. I got interviews at every place I applied, had great recommendations, great GPA, great rotations, a good amount of research, though a bit weak in the involvement area. My interviews went well and like you, I received good feedback from every program. I had been told for months I could basically pick and choose where I wanted to go. When I got the scramble list, I saw maybe 3 programs I would consider going to. 2 emailed me back they had filled the position already. 1 said they wouldn't be filling the slot for at least a month, if then. I contacted a few others and have yet to hear anything back. There is 1 place now I will go to if I get an interview, but other than that, it looks like I'll be working and trying again next year.

Sorry you guys didn't match, it really depresses me that I will have to go through a similar,(probably much worse by my time), headache. Can I ask what schools you guys go to?

My scramble experience has been a bit different. I, like you, did not expect to have to scramble. I got interviews at every place I applied, had great recommendations, great GPA, great rotations, a good amount of research, though a bit weak in the involvement area. My interviews went well and like you, I received good feedback from every program. I had been told for months I could basically pick and choose where I wanted to go. When I got the scramble list, I saw maybe 3 programs I would consider going to. 2 emailed me back they had filled the position already. 1 said they wouldn't be filling the slot for at least a month, if then. I contacted a few others and have yet to hear anything back. There is 1 place now I will go to if I get an interview, but other than that, it looks like I'll be working and trying again next year.

How many programs did you rank?

Is a 3.4 really a bad gpa for residencies!!??? That's what I have right now in P3 (hopefully go up to a 3.5 this time next year). I thought low 3's and up were generally OK. Are there those out there who DID match with low 3's to mid' 3's GPA??

Drugdoc, I had a 3.3, and I worked my butt off for that "low 3" GPA. I once had someone ask me in an interview about why I was on the dean's list some semesters but not others. I gave them a standard answer, but then added that I was proud of every grade I earned, whether it was an A in therapeutics or a C in organic. When you work hard for something, your pride shows. And I worked damn hard for that C in organic ;)

I feel like in pharmacy school, students are trained to compare themselves to each other. I'm not going to get mushy here, but that constant comparison will drive you nuts if it continues into your residency. I have different interests and a different patient load than my co-residents, so I know that I am going to have to work differently than them to achieve the same certification. If you constantly ask questions like "what did your preceptor write in resitrak?" in the same way you ask "what grade did you get on your test?" now.... You're going to drive yourself and your co-residents nuts.

Work hard, sleep well and remember that you aren't some bum off the street trying to find a job. You're a trained professional who has earned the right to be confident in a residency interview, and you deserve to get what you want. Don't be arrogant, but don't be embarrassed because you have a "low 3" GPA. There are worse things.

Last edited:
just to add to MLD said: 3.4 is ok. I would think 3.4-3.5 is probably typical of the applicant pool. It's when you bump down against the 3.0 that's when some of the more competitive programs might use it as an initial weed-out.

You'll need something else to make you stand out against most of the other applicants who also have ~3.5. Hospital internship experience is a pretty big leg up, probably bigger than being officer XYZ of ABC org. Having a lot of inpatient/ambulatory care rotations also speak for your interest and dedication to clinical pharmacy.

just to add to MLD said: 3.4 is ok. I would think 3.4-3.5 is probably typical of the applicant pool. It's when you bump down against the 3.0 that's when some of the more competitive programs might use it as an initial weed-out.

You'll need something else to make you stand out against most of the other applicants who also have ~3.5. Hospital internship experience is a pretty big leg up, probably bigger than being officer XYZ of ABC org. Having a lot of inpatient/ambulatory care rotations also speak for your interest and dedication to clinical pharmacy.

I was a little bit more than "officer XYZ of ABC org." I had several inpatient/am care rotations. I taught labs to underclassmen on my off rotation. I was on the editorial advisory board of a major journal. I volunteered at an indigent clinic and during the gigantic H1N1 vaccine roll out just for kicks. And yet I didn't stand out. I guess that I'm just not as awesome as you are.

I was a little bit more than "officer XYZ of ABC org." I had several inpatient/am care rotations. I taught labs to underclassmen on my off rotation. I was on the editorial advisory board of a major journal. I volunteered at an indigent clinic and during the gigantic H1N1 vaccine roll out just for kicks. And yet I didn't stand out. I guess that I'm just not as awesome as you are.

Where did that come from? I was adding to MLD's answer to drugdoc and trying to be helpful. You don't have to agree with my recommendations. Why so defensive and bitter? :confused:

As someone who happily matched, I will also be the first to admit that it can be a crap shoot. Every person in my class who did not match was a Rho Chi. Every. One. Did I deserve to match more than they did? Uh, no. But did the cookie crumble differently for me than it did for them? Uh, yeah. Not that anyone cares, but this is the way I see it... You know how there are some people who average a 69 in a class and some people who get a 70? A 69 is a D and may well cause you to repeat a year of pharmacy school. A 70 is a C and, if you go by the old adage, "Cs get degrees." It's things like that... 1 point on one quiz that determines a person's advancement through pharmacy school... being ranked 1 spot below the last person to match with a program... that sometimes make the biggest difference in our young lives.

Applicants for my site doubled this year. DOUBLED. And we're not talking going from 5 to 10. We're talking going from 30 to 60. That's just ridiculous. People who may have thought they were "a shoe in" for our PGY-1 were suddenly being weeded out and not even offered interviews. Who matches in a given year depends on a lot of factors... your scores and interview skills, yes, but also the number of applicants per program and the number of ranks per applicant and blah blah blah. It's easy to give advice when you're "on the other side," but it's heartwrenching to know how close you might have come, or how different it would have been if you'd just applied to one of those programs that went unmatched... Anyone who has ever not gotten something that they've wanted can understand that. If you ask me, we can't realistically talk about the match without at least giving *some* credit to plain and simple luck of the draw. You can prepare all you want and bulk up your CV until you're blue in the face, but that doesn't guarantee anything... Those things improve your chances, sure, but things can rarely be guaranteed.

Okay, that's enough sentimentality for one night.

As someone who happily matched, I will also be the first to admit that it can be a crap shoot. Every person in my class who did not match was a Rho Chi. Every. One. Did I deserve to match more than they did? Uh, no. But did the cookie crumble differently for me than it did for them? Uh, yeah. Not that anyone cares, but this is the way I see it... You know how there are some people who average a 69 in a class and some people who get a 70? A 69 is a D and may well cause you to repeat a year of pharmacy school. A 70 is a C and, if you go by the old adage, "Cs get degrees." It's things like that... 1 point on one quiz that determines a person's advancement through pharmacy school... being ranked 1 spot below the last person to match with a program... that sometimes make the biggest difference in our young lives.

Applicants for my site doubled this year. DOUBLED. And we're not talking going from 5 to 10. We're talking going from 30 to 60. That's just ridiculous. People who may have thought they were "a shoe in" for our PGY-1 were suddenly being weeded out and not even offered interviews. Who matches in a given year depends on a lot of factors... your scores and interview skills, yes, but also the number of applicants per program and the number of ranks per applicant and blah blah blah. It's easy to give advice when you're "on the other side," but it's heartwrenching to know how close you might have come, or how different it would have been if you'd just applied to one of those programs that went unmatched... Anyone who has ever not gotten something that they've wanted can understand that. If you ask me, we can't realistically talk about the match without at least giving *some* credit to plain and simple luck of the draw. You can prepare all you want and bulk up your CV until you're blue in the face, but that doesn't guarantee anything... Those things improve your chances, sure, but things can rarely be guaranteed.

Okay, that's enough sentimentality for one night.

:thumbup::thumbup: couldn't agree more

Members don't see this ad :)
Is a 3.4 really a bad gpa for residencies!!??? That's what I have right now in P3 (hopefully go up to a 3.5 this time next year). I thought low 3's and up were generally OK. Are there those out there who DID match with low 3's to mid' 3's GPA??

Yes, and I have a 3.49 GPA.

I didn't match last year. 3.3, worked at a hospital for 3 years (and according to the LOR, which I saw, was kind of a big deal), relatively involved with ASHP and was told by one letter writer/preceptor that my CV was "quite robust".

I applied to primarily "big name" programs, I think 10 total (11 including a fellowship). I had interviews at all but 2 (U of MD and UNC), including UCSD, UofArizona, Shands-Jacksonville... Not bad for a kid who went to the University of New Mexico.

But come match day, I was beyond shocked when my e-mail started with "We regret to inform you...". I opened and closed it at least 10 times before I started crying. I had multiple people tell me they were sure I was going to match. In fact, I was pretty sure I was going to one of my top 3. But guess what, the Match sucks. I ended up scrambling and taking a position in a relatively small hospital in the middle of the country, in a state I had only driven through previously. My choices had been here or Brooklyn, and in the end I'm glad I went for smaller.

Anyway, this year I applied to 6 PGY-2s and had interviews at 5. And matched at my #2 (probably the best program of the bunch, at least the most solid reputation-wise). Despite doing my PGY-1 at a no-name institution in an area not known for progressive pharmacy practice.

But while I was here I've busted my butt. I teach ACLS, I picked up teaching lectures for the Nurse Practitioner classes, I precept students, I picked up extra Internal Medicine Noon Conferences. You do what you have to to get ahead.

For anyone that cares, here's an update and some word on the street that I've heard:

I've talked to a number of people from different schools that didn't match - I keep hearing about individuals who seemed to me to be amazing candidates that are having to scramble. Unfortunately, prospects have been grim for a lot of them. One of my friends has put out feelers to a lot of different programs and the overwhelming response has been that many of the spots were filled in the first couple of days. Other programs haven't filled anything yet because they are sifting through the dozens of e-mails and phone calls they've been getting daily. She's been hesitant to apply to certain programs - Louisiana State University has 5 of their 6 spots open - what does that say about the program in general?

In my case, I had a phone interview tonight for a program and will have an on-site interview there on Thursday. I'm still crossing my fingers to hear if I have an interview at the other program - hopefully they'll let me know either way tomorrow. The two programs aren't in the same city, but they are within 4 hours of each other, so I want to try and have the interviews on successive days.

I hope that everyone else is doing well and keeping their spirits high. I apologize if I was a little nasty on this thread last week - not matching certainly did a number on my self-esteem (despite what others have said about the match being a gamble this year, it still stings not to be chosen), and the anxiety related to the unknown is also not fun.

Last edited:
Hey folks, got this email from the ACCP listserv today:

To those of you who may know a senior pharmacy student who did not "match" and is still interested in a residency, please feel free to share the following.

Health Partners of Western Ohio (HPWO), in collaboration with The University of Findlay College of Pharmacy, is pleased to announce the availability of a residency position in an outpatient ambulatory care clinic setting. The following is a brief description of the program, which is based out of Lima, Ohio. Attached are application materials. Interested students should contact Jenny Clark, RPh at [email protected] with further questions. The deadline for application is March 31st, 2010.

Health Partners of Western Ohio Residency Program

The Health Partners of Western Ohio residency program is designed to build upon prior learning and experience. It is a one-year postgraduate education-training program that provides experience in integrating pharmacy services with the comprehensive needs of the practice setting. The resident will develop expert knowledge and skills in order to deliver optimal pharmaceutical care to both pediatric and dult patients within an integrated, patient centered medical home.

Pharmacists completing this residency will be competent and confident practitioners in a multi-disciplinary health-care team. Residents will be accountable for preventing, identifying and resolving drug related problems, assuring safe, effective and appropriate drug therapy, particularly in a variety of ambulatory disease state management clinics. These pharmacists will exercise skill in educating not only patients but other pharmacy students, health-care professionals, and the community on drug related topics. They will demonstrate professional maturity by exhibiting commitment to the profession, compassionate practice, with regular monitoring and evaluation of their own performance.

Thanks!
Debra

Debra L Parker, RPh, PharmD, CACP, CDE, CLS, BCPS
Chair & Assistant Professor
The University of Findlay College of Pharmacy
1000 N Main St.
Findlay, Ohio 45840
Phone: 419-434-4450
Fax: 419-434-4390
email: [email protected]
Debra Parker, UF College of Pharmacy web page

Sounds like an interesting residency for those who want amb care. She does have a lot of credentials doesn't she? Whoa.

Moxxie - don't apologize. It's a terrible process and is a horrible shock.

But I also told you all how fast the process moves! I had my offer the next morning, less than 24 hours after the list came out. I cannot emphasize how fast things go!

Is anyone here scrambling for a PGY-2? I'm thinking about applying to PGY-2s for the 2011-2012 year and I'm curious as to how the PGY-2 scramble is different from the PGY-1 scramble.

Is anyone here scrambling for a PGY-2? I'm thinking about applying to PGY-2s for the 2011-2012 year and I'm curious as to how the PGY-2 scramble is different from the PGY-1 scramble.

It's similiar, except that the scramble list is definitely not all-inclusive due to MANY PGY-2 programs not being accredited/part of the match.

Quick question - does anyone know if the National Matching site ever updates the available residency positions? I'm sure that a huge portion of the programs have already filled their spots (or are close to it), yet the list is the same as it was on the 17th.

As for me, I will hopefully hear either way about the program I interviewed with last week, and if the answer is no, I have an interview with a different program next week (the first program said that they will want an answer before the 2nd program holds its interviews, so I'll pull out of the running for the 2nd program if I get an offer this week).

I hope that other people are having some success with the scramble - it's tough out there!

Nope. The list does not change.

Good luck!

Well, I was fortunate enough to have been offered the position with the residency I interviewed with two weeks ago :thumbup::thumbup:

If they had chosen someone else, I would be interviewing today with another program, but I decided to give someone else a shot and pulled myself out of the scramble for that position.

I haven't heard anything positive from other people who are scrambling - for the most part residency spots post-match have been very tough to find. Most of the people I know are now looking for retail or hospital jobs and may reapply next year.

Good luck to anyone still scrambling out there!

Well, I was fortunate enough to have been offered the position with the residency I interviewed with two weeks ago :thumbup::thumbup:

If they had chosen someone else, I would be interviewing today with another program, but I decided to give someone else a shot and pulled myself out of the scramble for that position.

I haven't heard anything positive from other people who are scrambling - for the most part residency spots post-match have been very tough to find. Most of the people I know are now looking for retail or hospital jobs and may reapply next year.

This is where it's really going to hurt. So, next year we'll have all the graduates, plus everyone who's reapplying (who knows how many hundred that will be) with probably not that many more positions available.:scared:

I was pulling for you!

well, i was fortunate enough to have been offered the position with the residency i interviewed with two weeks ago :thumbup::thumbup:

If they had chosen someone else, i would be interviewing today with another program, but i decided to give someone else a shot and pulled myself out of the scramble for that position.

I haven't heard anything positive from other people who are scrambling - for the most part residency spots post-match have been very tough to find. Most of the people i know are now looking for retail or hospital jobs and may reapply next year.

congrats moxxie!!!

This is where it's really going to hurt. So, next year we'll have all the graduates, plus everyone who's reapplying (who knows how many hundred that will be) with probably not that many more positions available.:scared:

nah - You'll be fine... Put in the work now, making a relationship where you eventually want to be. It is always the underestimated part of getting a position - they should know who you are before they get your application.

Congrats!

As for other scramblers, 3 or 4 of the 7 from my school have found places, and I was impressed. 2 out of state, 1 or 2 in state.

Good luck to anyone else out there still scrambling!

congrats!!!

Last year I went through the process for PGY-2. I only applied and interviewed at one place. I was very picky about where I wanted to go, without any regret. However, while I received glowing feedback from the directors and had some connections, they went with what ended up being an internal candidate. Which I knew they would once I found out they had an internal candidate. So that left me to scramble and I did not want to scramble to just any program just for the sake of having a PGY-2. So I decided to take a year off, collect myself and figure out what I really wanted to do. I've spent the last year making sure to involve myself with a program of interest to essentially make me an internal candidate, and I also ended up looking into two other programs that were not PGY-2, but rather fellowships. Turns out I ended up having 3 offers and ended up deciding on fellowship rather then PGY-2 and can honestly say it's worked out in my favor. At this point I wouldn't even think about doing a PGY-2 b/c I don't think it will provide me with as many opportunities as this fellowship will. Moral of the story: not matching is not the end of the world. I also highly recommend that you don't scramble just for the sake of. Reapply next year if none of the programs meet your needs. I was told having a PGY-1 and a year of experience working gave me an edge over other candidates. A year of working and then applying to a PGY-1 doesn't necessarily put you at a disadvantage. It actually shows dedication in the fact that you reapplied and are obviously not driven by finances (ie your willing to take a huge paycut to pursue your career goals).

Last year I went through the process for PGY-2. I only applied and interviewed at one place. I was very picky about where I wanted to go, without any regret. However, while I received glowing feedback from the directors and had some connections, they went with what ended up being an internal candidate. Which I knew they would once I found out they had an internal candidate. So that left me to scramble and I did not want to scramble to just any program just for the sake of having a PGY-2. So I decided to take a year off, collect myself and figure out what I really wanted to do. I've spent the last year making sure to involve myself with a program of interest to essentially make me an internal candidate, and I also ended up looking into two other programs that were not PGY-2, but rather fellowships. Turns out I ended up having 3 offers and ended up deciding on fellowship rather then PGY-2 and can honestly say it's worked out in my favor. At this point I wouldn't even think about doing a PGY-2 b/c I don't think it will provide me with as many opportunities as this fellowship will. Moral of the story: not matching is not the end of the world. I also highly recommend that you don't scramble just for the sake of. Reapply next year if none of the programs meet your needs. I was told having a PGY-1 and a year of experience working gave me an edge over other candidates. A year of working and then applying to a PGY-1 doesn't necessarily put you at a disadvantage. It actually shows dedication in the fact that you reapplied and are obviously not driven by finances (ie your willing to take a huge paycut to pursue your career goals).

what type of fellowship are you doing if you don't mind me asking?

Well said...

Thanks everyone! Good luck to anyone still out there!

For anyone that cares, here's an update and some word on the street that I've heard:

I've talked to a number of people from different schools that didn't match - I keep hearing about individuals who seemed to me to be amazing candidates that are having to scramble. Unfortunately, prospects have been grim for a lot of them. One of my friends has put out feelers to a lot of different programs and the overwhelming response has been that many of the spots were filled in the first couple of days. Other programs haven't filled anything yet because they are sifting through the dozens of e-mails and phone calls they've been getting daily. She's been hesitant to apply to certain programs - Louisiana State University has 5 of their 6 spots open - what does that say about the program in general?
Yeah... That doesn't surprise me. Residencies are pretty pointless around here.

At one of my sites, a PGY1 resident could not find a job as a clinical pharmacist and will probably have to work as a staff pharmacist. Plus, there are no PGY2 residencies in this state (according to the PGY1 resident). So, if there aren't any openings for PGY1-trained pharmacists and PGY2 residencies don't exist here, then what's the point???

At one of my sites, a PGY1 resident could not find a job as a clinical pharmacist and will probably have to work as a staff pharmacist. Plus, there are no PGY2 residencies in this state (according to the PGY1 resident). So, if there aren't any openings for PGY1-trained pharmacists and PGY2 residencies don't exist here, then what's the point???

Time to move???

a friend's significant other is in NOLA and he's not doing a PGY-2 because there isn't a single program available in the state.

That's surprising.

Tell that PGY1 resident to apply to Ochsner. Looks like they have some openings for clinical pharmacists...

https://ochsner.myvurv.com//main/careerportal/job_list.cfm?szSearchType=Advanced&szCategory=62

I applied to LSU and they said they had spots open because they encourage in-state students not to apply (all 6 of the current residents are out of state), and they are also a newer program having been recently approved for 6 spots. Maybe Shreveport is not the most desirable geographic area to work...? It is a large med center with a childrens hospital and much better than some residency programs I have seen. They have a lot to offer clinically, and great preceptors (most being pharm school faculty), with plans on developing a couple pgy2 programs. The director said her email locked up due to the overwhelming amount of candidates applying. It is tough out there though, I consider myself very fortunate to have a spot without participating in the match.

Last edited:
You know she's not interested in residencies, right?

And Moxxie, it's late, but CONGRATS on getting the position! I was rooting for you.

Humor lost in translation... I'm aware of her lack of residency enthusiasm. But it still stands - a state with limited clincal roles is not a state to live in.

Time to move??? It loses a bit if you have to explain it :(

Maybe Shreveport is not the most desirable geographic area to work...?
Ding, ding, ding... Correct! And I think that out-of-state only thing is just their way to explain away low interest from in-state students. Meh... Good for oos students. :) So yeah. Med school seems to be a better option if I feel like doing more- instead of moving over and over again.