For those interested/thinking about attending Mount Sinai SOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johndorian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all. I am currently a MS1 student at MSSM nearing the end of my first year. I remember the anguish and (pleasant) frustration behind choosing a school by the May 15th deadline. In the spirit of free speech and open information, I thought I would share some of the honest negatives about attending MSSM before the May 15th deadline.

Price: as a private school in New York City attending Sinai is obviously and expensive commitment. The student budget this academic year is $53,500. Next year it increases to $55,340. The cost of living in New York is expensive, with no large discount supermarkets and all prices juiced somewhat.

Location: Being in New York is great. There’s nothing quite like it, but it’s not for everyone, be honest with your self on that one. The neighborhood around Sinai is very bland. The area lacks character and shuts down at around 11 each night. This has been frustrating when trying to find any sort of reasonable food delivery late night when studying for exams. In addition, there aren’t any decent bars near the school.

Another issue concerning the location is safety. To the south is a very affluent area that is considered quite safe, but to the north is a different story. Two blocks away from Aron Hall (student hosing), and across the street from the Hospital there are blocks and blocks of projects (low income housing.) This is not an area you want to be wandering around in after dark.

Grading: completely pass/fail. This can be great, and it can be detracting. Without a high pass or honors option, it can be hard to find motivation to push yourself when your 96 will be regarded as no better than your classmate’s 73. Apathy sets in real quick.

No University association: Sinai is its own institution, with no real tangible ties to NYU except in name only. As a result, some resources are somewhat limited. One example of this is libraries, there is only one library and it closes at midnight. For day to day stuff this is obviously fine, but it would be convenient to have a 24 hour library, especially the week of big exams.

I attended a mid size public school, and I find myself missing attending campus Football and basketball events.

Name Recognition: Another consequence of not being linked to a University comes in with name recognition. Although Sinai is rated quite high in the US News rankings (take that for what its worth), I have found that most “lay” people have not heard of the school, or rarely appreciate how hard it is to gain admission. This is obviously not true for residency directors, people in the medical community and those in the New York/tri-state area. In other areas of the country, your patients, friends, and / or the chicks at bars probably won’t know what medical school you are talking about. I realize that this sounds quite superficial, but it is a reality, and just remember that your patients will probably be checking out the diploma hanging on your wall no matter where you practice.

There are many aspects of Sinai that are great, and I feel like those have been beaten to death on these boards, but if anyone has any other questions feel free to PM me.

Members don't see this ad.

just remember that your patients will probably be checking out the diploma hanging on your wall no matter where you practice.

The general public really only knows two medical schools -- Harvard and Hopkins. If you try to impress your average patient by telling him you went to UPenn, he'll probably think it was a nice, unranked state school and that you made a wise financial decision, but he'll wish he had a more qualified doctor from one of the names he recognizes like Dartmouth or Tufts.

Seriously, this should be the least of your worries.

The general public really only knows two medical schools -- Harvard and Hopkins. If you try to impress your average patient by telling him you went to UPenn, he'll probably think it was a nice, unranked state school and that you made a wise financial decision, but he'll wish he had a more qualified doctor from one of the names he recognizes like Dartmouth or Tufts.

Seriously, this should be the least of your worries.

I would say they don't even know Hopkins.

My rule of thumb is that your average Joe knows Harvard and any school with a good football team.

Members don't see this ad :)
umm..odd post. Maybe it's a pre-med on the wait-list that wants more people to withdraw for his own benefit. I'm not accusing the OP of anything. Just seems strange you came here to complain about your medical school.

Ummm yea.. mount sinai like ALL medical schools is expensive...so?

Mount Sinai is in a sweet location and you can just hop on the 6 (which runs at all hours of the night) and head off wherever you want to go in NYC within minutes. Yea, East Harlem is close to the Upper Eastside..so?
Don't walk there if you don't want to.

YOU'RE COMPLAINING ABOUT PASS/FAIL GRADING!?!?!?!? :eek:

Limited resources at mount sinai? :laugh: Do you really need a library open 24 hours? If you want to study late at night, I'm sure there are always places you can study...how about your room? Which medical school has competitive sports teams? Columbia has a decent rugby team I heard, but that's it. Go to the Recreational Office and get some student discounted Mets/Yankees tickets! :thumbup:

Pffft... does it matter if the laymen don't know which medical schools are prestigious or not? We can't all go to Harvard Med, Princeton Med, Yale SOM, or Notre Dame School of Medicine. Where is John (no "s") Hopkins University? How is U.Penn's famous football team doing? Anyway, the "chicks at the bar" aren't going to be impressed that you're a med student unless you have a lot of money and/or 6-pack abs.

Jeeez, one thing that bugs me about SDN are the many attempts people make to have others withdraw acceptances. Go to any "School X vs. School Y" thread and just look (using the search function for people's posting histories). Many times the person saying turn down School X are on the X's WAITING LIST!

Yeah, this was my favorite part of the post. It just seems like the OP is unhappy because at a pass/fail, non-big-name (to laypeople) school, it's hard to prove to everyone how much better you are than them.

If that was meant to discourage me from going to Sinai, it kinda had the opposite effect.

umm..odd post. Maybe it's a pre-med on the wait-list that wants more people to withdraw for his own benefit. I'm not accusing the OP of anything. Just seems strange you came here to complain about your medical school.

Ummm yea.. mount sinai like ALL medical schools are expensive...so?

Mount Sinai is in a sweet location and you can just hop on the 6 (which runs at all hours of the night) and head off wherever you want to go in NYC within minutes. Yea, East Harlem is close to the Upper Eastside..so?
Don't walk there if you don't want to.

Limited resources at mount sinai? :laugh: Do you really need a library open 24 hours? If you want to study late at night, I'm sure there are always places you can study...how about your room? Which medical school has competitive sports teams? Columbia has a decent rugby team I heard, but that's it. Go to the Recreational Office and get some student discounted Mets/Yankees tickets! :thumbup:

Pffft... does it matter if the layman don't know which medical schools are prestigious or not? We can't all go to Harvard Med, Princeton Med, Yale SOM, or Notre Dame School of Medicine. Where is John (no "s") Hopkins University? How is U.Penn's famous football team doing? Anyway, the "chicks at the bar" aren't going to be impressed that you're a med student unless you have a lot of money and/or 6-pack abs.

Jeeez, one thing that bugs me about SDN are the many attempts people make to have others withdraw acceptances. Go to any "School X vs. School Y" thread and just look (using the search function for people's posting histories). Many times the person saying turn down School X are on the X's WAITING LIST!

Florida State, UF, UK, to name a few.

Florida State, UF, UK, to name a few.

These schools enroll <200 med students per each class. FSU enrolls 80 med students. I don't see them putting together many competitive teams...lol. If you're talking about the teams their undergraduate schools put together, um yea.

Anyway, it's just silly. This is the first time I heard about someone upset for not having any college basketball or football games to go to during medical school.

These schools enroll <200 med students per each class. FSU enrolls 80 med students. I don't see them putting together many competitive teams...lol. If you're talking about the teams their undergraduate schools put together, um yea.

Anyway, it's just silly. This is the first time I heard about someone upset for not having any college basketball or football games to go to during medical school.

It may be silly to you...but some of us had major sports programs at our undergrads that we really enjoyed. I know I miss football on saturdays a lot. Since there are over 100K seats in my ugrad stadium that fill up on saturdays, I'd say it's not silly to a whole lot of people. Medical students can like sports too.

It may be silly to you...but some of us had major sports programs at our undergrads that we really enjoyed. I know I miss football on saturdays a lot. Since there are over 100K seats in my ugrad stadium that fill up on saturdays, I'd say it's not silly to a whole lot of people. Medical students can like sports too.

OK, sorry. I just never heard of any prospective medical student that considered a school's athletic programs when choosing where to study medicine. I guess OP made the wrong decision if that's what he wanted.

You said you miss football on saturdays, but you listed your school as one of those with competitive athletic programs. Then what's the problem? Can't you just go to a game?

umm..odd post. Maybe it's a pre-med on the wait-list that wants more people to withdraw for his own benefit. I'm not accusing the OP of anything.

You just did.

The OP's list of negatives is something to consider for a lot of people. Some of his/her points resonated with me.

Price, location, grading policy, university affiliation matters - though not necessarily in that order or at all to some people. Most people can accept and understand price and location as criteria. Grading policy P/F vs. letter/numerical makes a difference to some as well - especially when it comes down to class rank, though I hear even with P/F, class rank is generated when it comes time for Dean's Letters.

University affiliation - in the form of resources and support can be key as well. My school had a small library with limited hours, and limited study spaces. This caused major problems for people trying to study. In my personal situation, I had a wife and child at home, and there was absolutely no way to study while at home - it was too noisy and chaotic. A 24-hour library would have been a godsend for me. I came from a small private university with 3 different libraries that stayed open 24 hours during exam weeks and I missed that setup sorely during med school.

The sports thing. Well, that's a pretty personal decision.

OK, sorry. I just never heard of any prospective medical student that considered a school's athletic programs when choosing where to study medicine. I guess OP made the wrong decision if that's what he wanted.

You said you miss football on saturdays, but you listed your school as one of those with competitive athletic programs. Then what's the problem? Can't you just go to a game?

Duke doesn't have a competitive football program. We have a program that looks like the best high school team in the history of football. But it isn't anything special on the college level. Duke is a basketball school, and I'm not as into basketball. So I understand how the OP could miss having campus sporting events to attend since I miss the football program at my undergrad. But for other students, the basketball program is a huge plus to attending Duke.

i am a student at sinai, if you want to ask me any more questions please feel free, hell if you want to stay with me in Aron hall or and come to classes I would be more than happy to have you as well.

to clarify, grading is pass/fail, but we do receive written evaluations that go in our file for each course we take. This is somewhat frustrating since we never get to see these evaluations.

Duke doesn't have a competitive football program. We have a program that looks like the best high school team in the history of football. But it isn't anything special on the college level. Duke is a basketball school, and I'm not as into basketball. So I understand how the OP could miss having campus sporting events to attend since I miss the football program at my undergrad. But for other students, the basketball program is a huge plus to attending Duke.

If he wants to go to a med school with a good basketball team, I think he'd have to go with VCU over Duke....:laugh:

FEAR THE TURTLE!

Every grading system has its advantages and drawbacks. None of them are perfect. He can complain about pass/fail if he wants to - why not?

Limited resources at mount sinai? :laugh: Do you really need a library open 24 hours? If you want to study late at night, I'm sure there are always places you can study...how about your room?

Um, actually...yes. Having a library open 24 hours is important to a lot of people.

If you could study in your room, life would be easy. But most rooms have a comfortable bed, a TV, a computer with computer games/movies on it, and interesting books nearby. Studying around those distractions is hard.

Plus, many resources that are available on school library computers are not available to my home computer. At my school, some online videos (Acland's anatomy videos, Visual histology) were, until recently, only available to computers connected to the campus network. Some online neuroanatomy atlases are programs that I can't download onto my private computer. Having a computer lab or a school library that is open 24 hours a day can be really helpful, and I'm glad that those resources are available to me 24 hours a day.

Pffft... does it matter if the laymen don't know which medical schools are prestigious or not? We can't all go to Harvard Med, Princeton Med, Yale SOM, or Notre Dame School of Medicine. Where is John (no "s") Hopkins University? How is U.Penn's famous football team doing?

:: Sob :: Thanks for re-opening some terrible wounds! Princeton Med AND Notre Dame Med rejected me, even though they were my top 2 choices. Will the pain NEVER end?!?!?! :cry: :cry:

(Yes, I am joking.)

Anyway, the "chicks at the bar" aren't going to be impressed that you're a med student unless you have a lot of money and/or 6-pack abs.

Or unless you carry a tongue depressor in your breast pocket. That's how people really know that you're a med student. Wearing your stethoscope out to the bar helps too.