for those who didn't match...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acolyte28

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year I didn't match and I too thought it was all over.

I tried the scramble, but it wasn't any better knowing that I still had to compete with much more qualified nonmatchers and so few open positions. So I started my intern year and went through a lot of specialties that I thought or even hoped I could get to like, but took a chance and entered the match again for PM&R as a PGY-1, worked harder that my fellow colleagues during the internship so that I could work on my application, take time off to go for interviews, etc.

Well it all payed off and I matched! So my message to all you guys who will go into the scramble tomorrow with little to no hope of getting into PM&R, there is always hope and you should never give up...

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations Acolyte28!!! It's always nice to hear when hard work and perseverance pay off. If you don't mind me asking, why do you think that you did not match the first time around? Did you get more interviews the second time around? You can PM if prefer. Thanks and congrats once again...

Congrats acolyte!! You should feel very proud of yourself!

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above.
Congrats!
I think it's all the more sweeter when the road's not as straight.
Congrats again! :thumbup:

Acolyte that's a great story and tremendous effort you put forth! Nice to hear that hard work really does pay off!

I would also be curious as to what advise you have as far as why you did not match. (I am an M2) How many programs did you apply to/interview at? What made the difference the 2nd time around. Thanks! :oops:

Clarence,

I felt that I didn't match the first time around because I had concentrated my efforts on one particular geographic area (very bad move with such a small residency pool) because of personal reasons. I got about 18 interviews the first time around, but passed up many of them to try to match in one state.

This time around I applied to and interviewed at fewer places (8), but without necessarily having to apply all over the country (just the northeast) and was fortunate enough to match, although I'll have a year off before I start in 7/07. Program directors I talked to in 4 year programs (with intern year included) luckily said I wouldn't have to repeat my intern year :rolleyes:, but overall having a year in between to see the world and maybe get married may turn out to be the best thing for me since starting med school. :thumbup:

So my advice when you start applying in a few years is to realize that:
1) PM&R will get competitive super quick because of the few seats and
increasing interest
2) Be more realistic regarding your chances at many big-name programs that
were just a few years ago so much easier to get into
3) Don't apply within one particular geographic area with only a few programs
4) And the usual: good board scores, letters, extracurricular activity,
research

:clap: Congratulations to all who've matched, and still go for it if you didn't!