For those who got accepted to DO School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jules0328

DOSchoolWannaBe
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who got accepted to DO school, what were your stats? I am really interested in DO school and want to know what I need to make myself the best candidate. As of now, I am in an informal post bacc program, I just completed my first semester, have spring 2005 and a summer session of orgo I, then MCAT and then orgo II in the fall of 2005.

I have a Masters degree in Physiology (3.2 gpa) and a BA (3.25). Have my name on some published abstracts and literature and have 2 1/2 years of clinical experience working for an under priviledged city hospital. Have plenty of research experience as well.

I am looking to apply to NYCOM and perhaps other DO schools in the northeast. And I was just wondering what some of your stats were to get in. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

jules0328 said:
For those of you who got accepted to DO school, what were your stats? I am really interested in DO school and want to know what I need to make myself the best candidate. As of now, I am in an informal post bacc program, I just completed my first semester, have spring 2005 and a summer session of orgo I, then MCAT and then orgo II in the fall of 2005.

I have a Masters degree in Physiology (3.2 gpa) and a BA (3.25). Have my name on some published abstracts and literature and have 2 1/2 years of clinical experience working for an under priviledged city hospital. Have plenty of research experience as well.

I am looking to apply to NYCOM and perhaps other DO schools in the northeast. And I was just wondering what some of your stats were to get in. Thanks.

Please do a search. Someone asks this about once a week and Nate usually posts the link to the thread.

Edit: Oh, I see he just did! He must have clicked the button before me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why cant people just respond. This is why I never ask questions on SDN. Nevermind! I will do a SEARCH!!!!!!!!

39S, 40S, and 45S MCAT. i wanted to improve my writing score cause thats all the ad coms look for these days.

3.97 GPA. i know, i got a B+ in one of my classes, no wonder i couldnt get into my first choice school.

i got into one school, the other 19 sent letters saying i was a pathological liar and sarcastic punk. but I dont know where they get this vibe from at all.

jk

keep that science GPA as high as possible and you will be in a better position. do average on the mcat, and you should get an interview. also the kaplan book of med schools that comes out each year, gives accurate averages on both MD and DO schools. dont buy it, just go to Barnes and Nobles and look at it for a few minutes :) off the top of my head, i would say 24 and 3.5 will get you interviews and some acceptances. the stats are really starting to climb at some schools.

good luck, once you get the interviews,you will shine and get accepted cause you got all that experience to talk about.

jules0328 said:
Why cant people just respond. This is why I never ask questions on SDN. Nevermind! I will do a SEARCH!!!!!!!!
Nate said:
Why can't you just click my link?

No kidding, Nate gave you a link directly to the info you asked for, just like I said he would. Why should he retype all that info just for you, you can't click a link. Geez, your welcome for helping you and answering your question :thumbdown: :rolleyes:

medic170 said:
No kidding, Nate gave you a link directly to the info you asked for, just like I said he would. Why should he retype all that info just for you, you can't click a link. Geez, your welcome for helping you and answering your question :thumbdown: :rolleyes:
Oh for god's sake. i did click on the link. Settle down, all of you! I think that everyone on this forum is always stressed out which is why half of these arguments occur. :eek:

My stats:

GPA 3.97 (Biochemistry major)
GPA 4.00 (Master in Physiology)
GPA 3.86 (PhD in Physiology)
MCAT 42S

Extracurriculars:
Helped the Kenyan government organize a malaria clinic
Spent 10 months in DC lobbying for Universal Health Care

Applied to 10 DO schools, offered interviews at 3, accepted to 1. Good luck!

jules0328 said:

Apply everywhere you would want to go to DO school...your numbers are alot better than mine and I am now a fourth year DO student. You'll get in....its more a matter of where you want to go....but be ready for questions why you want to be a DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
jules0328 said:
Oh for god's sake. i did click on the link. Settle down, all of you! I think that everyone on this forum is always stressed out which is why half of these arguments occur. :eek:
Then why did you get so upset and say that you wish people would just respond?
jules0328 said:
You are the one who seemed pretty upset and stressed there, we just tried to answer your question.
Are you always so hippocritcal and illogical?

Nate said:

deh deh deh deh deh deh deh deh deh deh deh deh deh deh deh -

I LIKE BIG BUTTS, and I cannot lie-
you other brothers can't deny-
when a girl walks in wit a ittybitty waist, and a round thing in my face, I get SPRUNG!

My ANACONDA don't want none unless you got buns, hon!

jules0328 said:
And I was just wondering what some of your stats were to get in. Thanks.

You might want to go to the AACOM.org web site. There you can find their report on D.O. schools and see the average MCAT score, GPA, etc, for each incoming class. This should tell you exactly what you need to know. Going by what you have posted here, your numbers are not bad.

For what it is worth, I currently have a ~3.75 GPA, I think ~3.45 science. 29 MCAT. Then factor in one bad semester at another school years ago and it averages out to about 3.4 overall.

I volunteer as a hospital Spanish interpreter. Served a 2-year LDS mission. Have taken courses in health policy and medical ethics.

So far applied to 3 D.O. schools (no M.D.), interview invites to all 3, interviews completed at 2, accepted to 1 and waiting to hear from the other.

I hope this helps.

jules0328 said:

whoa . . . someone needs to take it down a notch. 3 exclamation points would have worked just fine, eh?

In answer to your question, you could also just click my link.

Shinken said:
My stats:

MCAT 42S

Extracurriculars:

Applied to 10 DO schools, offered interviews at 3, accepted to 1. Good luck!

Wow, you really slipped during your doctoral years.

My extracurriculars:
Healing the Blind
Donated all extraneous organs
Supernatural/Mystical Powers

" Originally Posted by Shinken
My stats:

MCAT 42S

Extracurriculars:

Applied to 10 DO schools, offered interviews at 3, accepted to 1. Good luck!"

1. Shinken... no offense, but either those are fake stats, you have a really crappy personality, or that one school was really desperate.. hehehehehe.. j/k

2. Jules... Your grades are good enough. As long as you get close to a 3.3gpa if not over.. it would be good. You have also done research so that is a plus as well. The important thing would be your clinical experiences at the underserved hospital. Do you know any DOs in there ? maybe they can write your LOR. It is good to have hands on experience than just grade. When are you applying anyways? I go to NYCOM, so if you have any questions about what are the ranges of grades here at nycom, our matches, cirriculum, etc... feel free to ask. Goodluck w/ application.

3. Shinken.... HAHAHAHA!!!

sia_simba said:
1. Shinken... no offense, but either those are fake stats, you have a really crappy personality, or that one school was really desperate.. hehehehehe.. j/k

3. Shinken.... HAHAHAHA!!!

The stats are fake and I also have a really crappy personality.

I just think that the "post your stats" threads are somewhat silly and decided to have some fun with it. There are sooo many factors that come into play that stats simply don't tell the whole story (I mean, I was accepted to DO school...stats definitely aren't the be-all and end-all) :D

Shinken said:
The stats are fake and I also have a really crappy personality.

I just think that the "post your stats" threads are somewhat silly and decided to have some fun with it. There are sooo many factors that come into play that stats simply don't tell the whole story (I mean, I was accepted to DO school...stats definitely aren't the be-all and end-all) :D

Those sexual favors sure paid off didn't they Shinken! ;)

Everyone's stats are freakin' awesome! I'm starting to think I wasted my time trying to apply this year.

Khenon said:
Everyone's stats are freakin' awesome! I'm starting to think I wasted my time trying to apply this year.

You are on SDN thats why stats are high! DO schools like non-traditional students like yourself. I think you have lots to offer for your classmates and school with your life experience. I think average MCAT is about 24 with GPA of about 3.5. Good luck!

dr.z said:
You are on SDN thats why stats are high! DO schools like non-traditional students like yourself. I think you have lots to offer for your classmates and school with your life experience. I think average MCAT is about 24 with GPA of about 3.5. Good luck!
Thanks dr.z! You're replies/posts are always so helpful and supportive. Well I've got a long wait until next Jan/Feb, so I guess I need to do something to take my mind off all this! Have a great holiday and take care.

jules0328 said:

I had a 3.4 undergrad gpa; 3.9 grad gpa, MCAT 28...tons of extracurriculars, volunteer, leadership, community, shadowing experiences. Also be ready to explain in detail why the osteopathic vs. allopathic philosophy. Remember, that acceptance to a DO med school is not all about stats, thank God. We need physicians out there who are genuinely compassionate, not money hungry, power hungry ones. In that case, the interview divides the apples from the oranges Hope that helps! :)

Sorry if I was irrational and illogical, (I believe that is what I was called here on this forum). Anyway, thank you to those who replied.

From now on, I will do 10 searches before posting a question on SDN (j/k)

happy holidays guys!

jules0328 said:
Sorry if I was irrational and illogical, (I believe that is what I was called here on this forum). Anyway, thank you to those who replied.

From now on, I will do 10 searches before posting a question on SDN (j/k)

happy holidays guys!

Actually, I said you were acting "hippocritcal and illogical". No offense though, and no need to do a search necessarily, just do not get angry (for no reason) at someone like Nate who answeres you with a link, and don't say you wish people would just answer you when they did. Good Luck.

Actually, Nate has been nothing but helpful! Thanks, Nate.

I usually do searches on SDN, but usually the threads are somewhat old, so I was interested in the new incoming classes. Anyway, thanks.