Got accepted to DO med school but waiting on MD school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinklemonade2121

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got an acceptance to a DO school, however, an MD school emailed me stating that while not considered for admission this year, I could apply for their masters program which would give me guaranteed admission to their MD school. I was just wondering with all the AAMC traffic regulations and such if it was fine to hold onto the DO school acceptance, while interviewing and waiting on the MD school masters/MD program? Just double checking! Thank you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the application processes are separate in terms of traffic. The second program sounds like a good opportunity if you are ok with extra debt.

So I got an acceptance to a DO school, however, an MD school emailed me stating that while not considered for admission this year, I could apply for their masters program which would give me guaranteed admission to their MD school. I was just wondering with all the AAMC traffic regulations and such if it was fine to hold onto the DO school acceptance, while interviewing and waiting on the MD school masters/MD program? Just double checking! Thank you guys.

If you are in it for the MD, you already know what to do

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally separate. Just you will lose your DO deposit if you don't attend

Does it say guaranteed acceptance no matter what or is it contingent on how you do during the post bacc? There are plenty of programs with the “linkage” that is actually hard to meet the requirement

Reactions: 1 user
You need to check if there are extra requirements. Someone already mentioned contingency. Some also only take a percentage of a class, in which the contingency is relative. You need to consider what is important to you and your general interests and that they can change. Generally, MD would be the better option in that you only worry about one board exam and you'll have some more opportunities, but you have an acceptance to DO and the MD one may be contingent - and what happens if you don't meet the contingency? I've personally never come across any program with a guarantee without a contingency, be it obtaining a certain MCAT score, a GPA within the program, being in a particular "top %" of the class, etc.